Nebo Glorious - My favourite ride

winstonw

Re: Nebo Glorious - My favourite ride

Postby winstonw » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:25 pm

you can get the latest info here
http://www.racq.com.au/travel/drive_tra ... conditions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

click on Brisbane and scroll to road of interest.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:50 pm

themerlin wrote:Anymore updates on the condition of the roads ?
mate of mine was up there today. Will see him tomorrow and ask.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:26 pm

themerlin wrote:Never been up the gt looks flat from that video.
6-8% gradient & will take the average to strong rider about 15-20 minutes to climb.

Not flat, but not steep either.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:55 am

jasonc wrote:
he said it was really good yesterday but there will be landslides-a-plenty next time it rains.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:58 pm

jasonc wrote: he said it was really good yesterday but there will be landslides-a-plenty next time it rains.
I'd better get up there before we get more rain then
Lisa

themerlin

Postby themerlin » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:06 pm

jasonc wrote:
jasonc wrote:
he said it was really good yesterday but there will be landslides-a-plenty next time it rains.
Thanks

Shpox

Postby Shpox » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:57 pm

Anyone willing to have a go at it via Gap Creek Rd?

greenfish

Postby greenfish » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:34 pm

I rode via Gap Creek Rd to Nebo last Sunday - my first Nebo ride. Loved it.

I'll be doing it again on Saturday, weather permitting, but I'm super slow on hills so will be riding solo...

Shpox

Postby Shpox » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:23 am

greenfish wrote:I rode via Gap Creek Rd to Nebo last Sunday - my first Nebo ride. Loved it.

I'll be doing it again on Saturday, weather permitting, but I'm super slow on hills so will be riding solo...
Be happy to join you mate if you want to ride as a duo. Provided weather is good! I'm not too fast up the hills either. My cardio is lacking after a month off and the my bike isn't light at all.

Otherwise, I'll probably join the raturday crew for a river loop.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:09 pm

I was up there this morning for a little spin before work. And a lovely morning it was too.

As we were coming back through the gap there were a number of emergency services vehicles going up. I'm told there was a cyclist - car collision near the cafe. :(

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:21 pm

I'm having a go at Mt Nebo for the first time on Saturday. Bit nervous, as I'm crap at hills. Will try to start slow and spin the 39-25 gear as much as possible.
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:13 pm

Comedian wrote:I was up there this morning for a little spin before work. And a lovely morning it was too.

As we were coming back through the gap there were a number of emergency services vehicles going up. I'm told there was a cyclist - car collision near the cafe. :(
I was riding through the gap and saw an ambo and fire truck too. Anybody know anything more?

greenfish

Postby greenfish » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:16 pm

Shpox wrote: Be happy to join you mate if you want to ride as a duo. Provided weather is good! I'm not too fast up the hills either. My cardio is lacking after a month off and the my bike isn't light at all.

Otherwise, I'll probably join the raturday crew for a river loop.
With the current dodgy weather I don't know if I'll ride tomorrow - but if I do, I'm hoping to reach Gap Creek Rd around 5:30 am (leaving home in Corinda around 5ish). But I'm more than twice your age and not quick, will just be pottering along. It is just inside 5 months until I ride the Etape du Tour so the Nebo rides are intended as training for this, speed not required, endurance is the goal!

Shpox

Postby Shpox » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:11 pm

Ah righto. I'll most likely be there around the same time as I'll be cycling from near Brookefield. No rush at all. All pending this weather though, can't tell if it's going to rain or not.

I'm looking to get a few altitude kilometers in build up some strength (atleast to counter the extra grams thanks to the saddle bag).

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:52 pm

Was nice up there this morning, my first time (only went to Jolly's Lookout though).

Frustratingly, on the way down it seemed like no cars ever caught up with me on the slow uphills, and would only catch up on the fast bits, so unfortunately I'd hold them up a bit while I found a safe place to slow down and let them past. Its also hard to hear them coming when you're on a downhill, it seemed they would also appear right in between frequent shoulder checks... maybe the one time I wouldn't mind getting beeped (from 100 meters back) to let me know they're coming.

Thumbs up to the drivers for their patience though, I'm just having fun and they're probably on their way to work or something. Its not like there's multiple lanes they can use to get past easily.

Shpox

Postby Shpox » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:17 pm

What time did you head up Woodsy?

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:20 pm

Shpox wrote:What time did you head up Woodsy?
was starting up the first climb by 5:30

Shpox

Postby Shpox » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:25 pm

Ah no good to hear about the cars then. I'd hope it'd be desolate at that hour. I always find it's a bit easier to leave a big gap when descending as the cars seem to have the better acceleration but frequently slow down so you'll still catch up.

Would be good to run a group up there one day (only if a current affair isn't filming).

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:39 pm

BrisVegas wrote:I'm having a go at Mt Nebo for the first time on Saturday. Bit nervous, as I'm crap at hills. Will try to start slow and spin the 39-25 gear as much as possible.
forgot to follow up that I made it! Very slowly, but I made it! I'm a big unit and I was with a mate even bigger than me, so I waited for him a few times. It was a bit wet Saturday morning, but I never lost traction on the climb and the water wasn't sheeting across the road at any stage. Not a bad ride at all. There didn't seem to be any climbs as long as the 2.2km slog of Cootha back, and there's some flats and downhills to break it up a bit.

Terrible coffee at the cafe though. The old woman on the zimmer frame wasn't the friendliest, but seemed to tolerate us being there. All the flat whites, caps, lattes seemed to look the same. :lol:

Next time I'll go further and see what Glorious is like....
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:43 pm

Shpox wrote:Would be good to run a group up there one day (only if a current affair isn't filming).
speed limit is 80. that'd take some exceeding

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:56 pm

I find Mt Glorious is a different story. I always seem to catch cars going down :P

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:59 pm

jasonc wrote:
Shpox wrote:Would be good to run a group up there one day (only if a current affair isn't filming).
speed limit is 80. that'd take some exceeding
Yeh and because it was my first time, I was taking it very very easy and topped out at only 58kmh anyway :) Unlike somebody else I know who took one of the separated sections of road on the wrong side...

themerlin

Postby themerlin » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:37 pm

Rode Nebo glorious and mt mee yesterday in a big loop. Good challenging imperial century.

CaptainSlow

Postby CaptainSlow » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:36 am

Anyone been up the Goat Track lately? Been a while and would like to know what state it's in before heading out that way..

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:45 pm

Only done Nebo once so far, late last year (we ended up dropping down to Samford, so no Glorious yet), via Gap Creek Road. It was a tough ride - i was on my old bike, which was setup with a 39/23 at that point... Beautiful ride though, I really want to get out there again (and do Glorious) once I'm back on the bike. I'm intending to do Robbie's Gran Fondo this year, so plenty of climbing training is in order. Looking forward to trying Nebo with me being lighter, my bike being lighter, and having a 34/25 now. :)

Does anybody run a regular Nebo/Glorious ride? I probably won't be able to remember how to get there if I go by myself...
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.