Nebo Glorious - My favourite ride

ZepinAtor

Re: Nebo Glorious - My favourite ride

Postby ZepinAtor » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:23 pm

CaptainSlow wrote:Anyone been up the Goat Track lately? Been a while and would like to know what state it's in before heading out that way..
Went up the Goat Track on the MTB about 2 weeks ago & it's not fit for a road bike in 2 major sections which could be walked (about 500m each)

The open gravel road sections haven't really changed much, but there is a new landslip which is tough just pushing the bike up & over.

Here's a few photos from the "better" days about 12 months ago.

Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

CaptainSlow

Postby CaptainSlow » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:47 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:
CaptainSlow wrote:Anyone been up the Goat Track lately? Been a while and would like to know what state it's in before heading out that way..
Went up the Goat Track on the MTB about 2 weeks ago & it's not fit for a road bike in 2 major sections which could be walked (about 500m each)

The open gravel road sections haven't really changed much, but there is a new landslip which is tough just pushing the bike up & over.
Cheers for that! Was afraid that might be the case. I last went up in Late Oct/12 (Strava has a better memory than I!), and your photos are very familiar. I don't recall walking any of it back then, but the spot in the middle picture with the narrow broken track and steep drop did set the heart racing slightly!

Purt

Postby Purt » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:42 pm

I haven't been up for a month or two but it really hasn't changed much from Zeps pictures. It's still fine on a road bike just one or two sections where you will need to walk for about 10 meters.

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:06 pm

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:Only done Nebo once so far, late last year (we ended up dropping down to Samford, so no Glorious yet), via Gap Creek Road. It was a tough ride - i was on my old bike, which was setup with a 39/23 at that point... Beautiful ride though, I really want to get out there again (and do Glorious) once I'm back on the bike. I'm intending to do Robbie's Gran Fondo this year, so plenty of climbing training is in order. Looking forward to trying Nebo with me being lighter, my bike being lighter, and having a 34/25 now. :)

Does anybody run a regular Nebo/Glorious ride? I probably won't be able to remember how to get there if I go by myself...
Anybody? (the joys of posting so your post is the last on a page).
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:07 pm

I head up there every now and then. I usually do glorious via Mt Nebo Road > Mt Glorious Road > chuck a u turn and head back towards Samford and either return via Clear Mountain or over the hill to Ferny Grove. There are a couple group rides that regularly head up that way which I can't remember too much off the top of my head. If you need a riding buddy just chuck me a message.

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:25 pm

Thanks Luke, when I've been back on the bike for a couple of weeks I might do just that.
Veloviewer

albertgaleano

Postby albertgaleano » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:48 am

That looks like a nice ride!!! I have only done the Nebo ride once but plan on doing Glorious in the next few weeks :)

CaptainSlow

Postby CaptainSlow » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:17 pm

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:
GeoffInBrisbane wrote:Only done Nebo once so far, late last year (we ended up dropping down to Samford, so no Glorious yet), via Gap Creek Road. It was a tough ride - i was on my old bike, which was setup with a 39/23 at that point... Beautiful ride though, I really want to get out there again (and do Glorious) once I'm back on the bike. I'm intending to do Robbie's Gran Fondo this year, so plenty of climbing training is in order. Looking forward to trying Nebo with me being lighter, my bike being lighter, and having a 34/25 now. :)

Does anybody run a regular Nebo/Glorious ride? I probably won't be able to remember how to get there if I go by myself...
Anybody? (the joys of posting so your post is the last on a page).
I'd be keen if there's a small group from here heading up at some point. Always keen to meet new people to ride with.

I'd doing the RM fondo too, so some hills work is definitely in order.

albertgaleano

Postby albertgaleano » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:24 pm

I am keen to tag along if you guys are planning it for a Sunday morning ride :)

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:11 pm

I'd be keen to give it another go soon too. I've signed up for the Gran Fondo and am a bit nervous about my hill climbing ability.

I need to find a 12-27 (or bigger) cluster first! The 11-23 on there now wont cut it for my power v weight equation. :-(
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

albertgaleano

Postby albertgaleano » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:06 pm

Do you guys want to give it a go on the 16th of June???? I am on the Eastside so would Southbank be a good meet point???

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:13 pm

I'd be up for that. Hopefully I'll have at least one road bike going by then :lol: :lol:

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:03 pm

I'll be in Stanthorpe that Sunday :(
Veloviewer

albertgaleano

Postby albertgaleano » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:00 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:I'd be up for that. Hopefully I'll have at least one road bike going by then :lol: :lol:
Sweet, do you think Southbank or the servo at The Gap would be the best meet point? 6am a good time???
GeoffInBrisbane wrote:I'll be in Stanthorpe that Sunday :(

I am keen to make this ride a regular thing so hopeful we can meet up :)

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:35 pm

Servo at the gap is a great meeting place with a public park and ride (a real ride) across the road...

I will check my family calendar; would love to meet some of you guys!

Hopefully some of you are slow like me... :-) Alternatively, I can just catch you for the second coffee at the top...
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:37 pm

Oh, and 34-27 all the way for me ... :-)
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:07 pm

I'd say the 7-11 park and ride would be best as it gives anyone that might need to drive a good spot to get a free park. Also another reason to buy a mega slurpie :P

Pax

Postby Pax » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:58 pm

I'd be up for this I think. Haven't done Mt N & G for a couple of years, but they are my next target.

I'll be riding across from Bray Park most likely so meeting at the Gap Servo on Cnr of waterworks and settlement Rd would be good, or at the 7 - 11 park and ride...am I right in thinking that is pretty much the same place?????

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:30 pm

All you lot had better be up for a rerun in a few weeks time... :lol:
Veloviewer

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:06 pm

What kind of time are you guys talking about at the gap servo?

Pax

Postby Pax » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:34 pm

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:All you lot had better be up for a rerun in a few weeks time... :lol:
I'd be keen.
InTheWoods wrote:What kind of time are you guys talking about at the gap servo?
I see that albertgaleano has suggested a 6.00 meet up, I will have about 1 hour ride to get to the meeting point so hope it isn't any earlier than that....or maybe 6.30?

Mind you early is better than late due to traffic etc. hope this comes off.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:35 pm

Since Strava likes to put on distance challenges how about we make our own Strava mountain challenge for every fortnightly or so? Springbrook, Binna Burra, Beechmont, Mt Tamborine, Mt Coot-tha, Mt Nebo, Cunningham Lookout/Camp Hill lookout (a nasty ~100m elevation climb over ~700-800m between Mt Nebo and Enoggera Reservoir), Mt Glorious, Clear Mountain, Mt Mee, Ocean View Road (between Dayboro and Mt Mee with 2x 15% pinches coming off Mt Mee Road), Mt Samson (from Dayboro way), Bald Knob/Balmoral Ridge and out to Maleny... what other climbing options are there out there... oh Bellthorp :P

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:45 pm

In one day? I'll drive the sag wagon :)
Lukeyboy wrote:Since Strava likes to put on distance challenges how about we make our own Strava mountain challenge for every fortnightly or so? Springbrook, Binna Burra, Beechmont, Mt Tamborine, Mt Coot-tha, Mt Nebo, Cunningham Lookout/Camp Hill lookout (a nasty ~100m elevation climb over ~700-800m between Mt Nebo and Enoggera Reservoir), Mt Glorious, Clear Mountain, Mt Mee, Ocean View Road (between Dayboro and Mt Mee with 2x 15% pinches coming off Mt Mee Road), Mt Samson (from Dayboro way), Bald Knob/Balmoral Ridge and out to Maleny... what other climbing options are there out there... oh Bellthorp :P

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:53 pm

I'd be stuffed well before the half way point in that case :lol: :lol:

albertgaleano

Postby albertgaleano » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:10 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Since Strava likes to put on distance challenges how about we make our own Strava mountain challenge for every fortnightly or so? Springbrook, Binna Burra, Beechmont, Mt Tamborine, Mt Coot-tha, Mt Nebo, Cunningham Lookout/Camp Hill lookout (a nasty ~100m elevation climb over ~700-800m between Mt Nebo and Enoggera Reservoir), Mt Glorious, Clear Mountain, Mt Mee, Ocean View Road (between Dayboro and Mt Mee with 2x 15% pinches coming off Mt Mee Road), Mt Samson (from Dayboro way), Bald Knob/Balmoral Ridge and out to Maleny... what other climbing options are there out there... oh Bellthorp :P
Sweet I am keen to try some of these rides. Every Fortnight will suit as I am just getting my MTB legs back and plan on riding Bush every 2nd sunday and would love to do some hill the other :D
I think it will take me about 45 min to ride to the servo as well but am happy to meet up at a convenient time to suit everyone.