Nebo Glorious - My favourite ride

Lukeyboy

Re: Nebo Glorious - My favourite ride

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:16 am

25T/Compact (I hope)? Think I need to get me some big ass cassette then. 28T SRAM Red for the price of a small car... :roll:
Compact? Me? Never. Haha.
I quite like the steep part of the descent to Samford and find that a buzz, but the back of Glorious concerns me enough that I haven't done it yet. The fact that nutteyboy finds it full on just adds to that... :lol:

Wish I were a better descender, yet another thing to work on...
Hahaha. I just have good bike control skills. Riding motorbikes before I was in primary school might have something to do with that I think :P Descending is pretty much all about experience and knowledge in your own skills/ability and knowledge of your bike. It's exactly like cornering. At first you might be afraid to go 15kph through the turns in the boondal wetlands but the more experience/knowledge you have with cornering you might then corner in the 30's with ease because you know you won't fall off or the bike won't slide out from underneath. Same with descending. You can feel when the brakes start to fade. You know how to take the lines through corners. You know how to use your body as an airbrake. You know when to and shouldn't use the brakes. You know how fast you can take that turn. etc etc etc.

The video doesn't give a really good perspective at how steep it is but here is me casually descending the back side. I don't advise using my breaking technique or what I did on the mid corner/exit at 4.01 and at various other times :P

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:25 am

GeoffInBrisbane wrote: I'm with you, Rhubarb. I quite like the steep part of the descent to Samford and find that a buzz, but the back of Glorious concerns me enough that I haven't done it yet. The fact that nutteyboy finds it full on just adds to that... :lol:.
I've only done the back once - and it was wet! First time I've ever had to get off and walk - on a descent! I just couldn't control it on the really steep tight hairpin - I didn't dare use any more front brake because it was near the limit and the rear kept locking.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:30 am

Leading to the tight double hairpin. The video above it was wet on the fringes and under some shadows. The bad thing about the Glorious descent is that when wet the fringes/road become as slick as a bowling lane. I've almost lost it once on a slight flat bit leading to a climb. It's worse than me wheelspinning it up Clear Mountain :P

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:52 am

Lukeyboy wrote:
25T/Compact (I hope)? Think I need to get me some big ass cassette then. 28T SRAM Red for the price of a small car... :roll:
Compact? Me? Never. Haha.
Hmm well I guess I should be alright with my girly 34/25 then. Mmm. :|

Lukeyboy wrote:Hahaha. I just have good bike control skills. Riding motorbikes before I was in primary school might have something to do with that I think :P Descending is pretty much all about experience and knowledge in your own skills/ability and knowledge of your bike. It's exactly like cornering. At first you might be afraid to go 15kph through the turns in the boondal wetlands but the more experience/knowledge you have with cornering you might then corner in the 30's with ease because you know you won't fall off or the bike won't slide out from underneath. Same with descending. You can feel when the brakes start to fade. You know how to take the lines through corners. You know how to use your body as an airbrake. You know when to and shouldn't use the brakes. You know how fast you can take that turn. etc etc etc.

The video doesn't give a really good perspective at how steep it is but here is me casually descending the back side. I don't advise using my breaking technique or what I did on the mid corner/exit at 4.01 and at various other times :P
Nice car crash you caught there...very reassuring! :lol:
InTheWoods wrote:
GeoffInBrisbane wrote: I'm with you, Rhubarb. I quite like the steep part of the descent to Samford and find that a buzz, but the back of Glorious concerns me enough that I haven't done it yet. The fact that nutteyboy finds it full on just adds to that... :lol:.
I've only done the back once - and it was wet! First time I've ever had to get off and walk - on a descent! I just couldn't control it on the really steep tight hairpin - I didn't dare use any more front brake because it was near the limit and the rear kept locking.
Eek, in the wet, no thanks! Sounds very scary...
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:51 pm

Very cool video. Thanks for posting! You've inspired me to do it this wknd now.

Lukeyboy, I'm guessing you've done the descent down the north side of Mt Mee?

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:32 pm

Car vs motorbike. Climbing up the steep part on the front of Glorious cop cars and ambos went flying past. Got to the very top and a bunch of MG cars - just one after another after another - went past. While descending the back it all made sense as to why.
vbplease wrote:Very cool video. Thanks for posting! You've inspired me to do it this wknd now.

Lukeyboy, I'm guessing you've done the descent down the north side of Mt Mee?
I've only had the privilege of climbing the northside of Mt Mee. Done plenty of descents into Dayboro but not over to Woodford way.

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:51 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
Car vs motorbike. Climbing up the steep part on the front of Glorious cop cars and ambos went flying past. Got to the very top and a bunch of MG cars - just one after another after another - went past. While descending the back it all made sense as to why.
Oh dear, not good at all. :(
Veloviewer

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:52 pm

No posts to this thread for nearly 2 years!?

Had fun up there today, went down to Wivenhoe and back up again. Second time I've done the back descent and I enjoyed it a lot. Must make a mental note of those bumps in the braking zone before the first hairpin though, pretty sure they've given me a fright both times :lol:

I still say climbing Northbrook Parkway (the back) is less unpleasant than Pei Pei Rd (the front).
Veloviewer

Rxticle

Postby Rxticle » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:13 pm

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:No posts to this thread for nearly 2 years!?

Had fun up there today, went down to Wivenhoe and back up again. Second time I've done the back descent and I enjoyed it a lot. Must make a mental note of those bumps in the braking zone before the first hairpin though, pretty sure they've given me a fright both times :lol:

I still say climbing Northbrook Parkway (the back) is less unpleasant than Pei Pei Rd (the front).
Less unpleasant? I've done a PEI, but not up the back (ha ha) and thought the back would be way tougher with the climb in the legs beforehand.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:21 pm

I did the back. Once. It was wet and slippery and I had to walk a few bits as rear wheel kept slipping due to my powah :) plus I was about it pass out :)

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:09 am

Front side is worse. It's a gnarly 15%+ while the back tops out around 15 only in the double hairpin. The majority of the back is around the 10-13% mark.

Gonna need more mental notes if you want my downhill koms mate. And some shoulder pads for when you brush the metal barriers :P

With some nice lean angle action as you aim for a grassy bank on the inside at 59kph.

And sit on the top tube a bit.

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:13 am

Where's the video?
Veloviewer

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:12 am

KOM? Were you too fast for the GPS to register, Luke? :P
Veloviewer

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:31 pm

Well, i have definitely got the KOMs on the front side. Might have to do some rides out there on my bike soon :)

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:05 pm

Downhill challenges...i do like pushing it downhill .although i am restricted by my 46 top ring
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:55 pm

Lack of gearing probably won't make a big difference on that descent! :twisted:
Veloviewer

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:42 pm

Haha what Geoff said, only thing that matters is how crazyballs you are, i.e. Luke level of crazy.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:06 pm

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:08 am

Crawf wrote:Haha what Geoff said, only thing that matters is how crazyballs you are, i.e. Luke level of crazy.
I surprised myself in that regard last time I did it. :lol:

Unlike yesterday on the front, when I was feeling a lot more sane and slow.
Veloviewer

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:21 am

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:
Crawf wrote:Haha what Geoff said, only thing that matters is how crazyballs you are, i.e. Luke level of crazy.
I surprised myself in that regard last time I did it. :lol:

Unlike yesterday on the front, when I was feeling a lot more sane and slow.
I was just trying not to feel dead

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:51 am

Did it work? :lol:
Veloviewer

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:07 am

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:Did it work? :lol:
No

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:42 pm

Thread revival :)

I revisited Nebo Glorious after a bit of a break.. wow!! No roadworks and so many new sealed sections of smooth asphalt :)

Mt Mee might be my favourite climb around brisbane, but i don't enjoy getting there and back. Nebo Glorious is fun the whole way.. 8)

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:43 pm

I love the Nebo climb, but it's 80km there and back and my wife's banned me from doing it solo for some reason.

Not sure why riding with someone else to the base and then not seeing them for the next hour or so makes it any safer but fair enough!

Might have to give it a shot at getting sub 40 minutes for the 'Hill Climb TT' segment one day. Currently 41:00 but only three attempts, and that was on a 10kg bike.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:47 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:43 pm
I love the Nebo climb, but it's 80km there and back and my wife's banned me from doing it solo for some reason.

Not sure why riding with someone else to the base and then not seeing them for the next hour or so makes it any safer but fair enough!

Might have to give it a shot at getting sub 40 minutes for the 'Hill Climb TT' segment one day. Currently 41:00 but only three attempts, and that was on a 10kg bike.
When you get your gravel bike, do it on the South Boundary Road firetrail which is far more peaceful and safer (Just don't forget not to carry too much speed through the disappearing left on the way down).

The fire trail leaves from the Gap and runs all the way to the main road .. a small carpark about 2k from the cafe. You can drive and park at Highwood Road.