Nebo Glorious - My favourite ride

notwal

Re: Nebo Glorious - My favourite ride

Postby notwal » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:49 pm

Does anyone know if the Goat Track is rideable ?
judged, insulted, gone

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:06 am

Does anyone know if there are any official timing marks at the bottom? The coffee shop is the top mark, right?

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:33 am

Comedian wrote:Does anyone know if there are any official timing marks at the bottom? The coffee shop is the top mark, right?
We take Goodwill to Cafe as 1:20mins for us, 56mins coming back via Red Hill. Some take the Forest Park Information centre as the start (the one near the Gap Reservoir).
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:20 pm

ValleyForge wrote:
Comedian wrote:Does anyone know if there are any official timing marks at the bottom? The coffee shop is the top mark, right?
We take Goodwill to Cafe as 1:20mins for us, 56mins coming back via Red Hill. Some take the Forest Park Information centre as the start (the one near the Gap Reservoir).
Damn... I started in the driveway for the "school of contemporary voice" a few metres before the park information centre. :(

notwal

Postby notwal » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:38 pm

ValleyForge wrote:
Do you mean from the Goodwill bridge at Gardens Point to Mt Glorious cafe?
judged, insulted, gone

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:00 pm

notwal wrote:Does anyone know if the Goat Track is rideable ?
mmmm, let me see. I rode it a little while ago...........

.............on the MTB.

Seriously though it has smoothed out a little since these photos were taken, but on a road bike you'd be going slow.

These are the worst sections which you could manoeuvre through carefully & the remainder is gravel road as it always was.

Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

notwal

Postby notwal » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:26 pm

Thanks Zep. I've never done it before and I'd like to try it. I can walk those tricky bits if I have to.

Looks like the fairies have been there piling up rocks for their mysterious warning messages.
My rock reading is rusty but I think they say something like "Gaze on the destruction we have wrought and go no further lest you feel the full force of unleashed fairy fury". He he ... tricky little buggers.
judged, insulted, gone

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:35 pm

notwal wrote:
ValleyForge wrote:
Do you mean from the Goodwill bridge at Gardens Point to Mt Glorious cafe?
Yup - Starting (AT) Maritime Museum, Goodwill Br, George St, Caxton St, MacGregor Tce, Coopers Camp Rd, Waterworks Rd to Mt Nebo Cafe.

notwal

Postby notwal » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:45 pm

Ah, Mt Nebo Cafe and Mt Glorious Cafe are about 25 minutes apart. And here I was thinking I was chatting with Cadel himself. :lol:

Someone should paint an official start line on the road and write "START YOUR STOPWATCH" and paint a couple of finish lines too and maybe "Got Fat? Go Vegan" or not. I think the bus terminus is a good spot for a start line because that's where the first hill starts however it may not be a good place to paint the road.
judged, insulted, gone

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:13 am

notwal wrote:Ah, Mt Nebo Cafe and Mt Glorious Cafe are about 25 minutes apart. And here I was thinking I was chatting with Cadel himself. :lol:
We'd be murdered if we took the extra time to Glorious on the week-ends. :wink:

licensed

Postby licensed » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:10 am

ValleyForge wrote:Yup - Starting (AT) Maritime Museum, Goodwill Br, George St, Caxton St, MacGregor Tce, Coopers Camp Rd, Waterworks Rd to Mt Nebo Cafe.
I noticed some of the links on the previous pages finish the Nebo climb at the roundabout where Mt Nebo Road meets with Bateson Road, Forestry Road and Manwaring Road, which if im not mistaken is a little bit further on than the Mt Nebo cafe?

Purt

Postby Purt » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:46 pm

It's fine, its been rideable the whole time.

I ride it on a roadie all the time.

notwal

Postby notwal » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:26 pm

Purt wrote:
It's fine, its been rideable the whole time.

I ride it on a roadie all the time.
cool. I'll give it a go.
judged, insulted, gone

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:35 pm

licensed wrote:
ValleyForge wrote:Yup - Starting (AT) Maritime Museum, Goodwill Br, George St, Caxton St, MacGregor Tce, Coopers Camp Rd, Waterworks Rd to Mt Nebo Cafe.
I noticed some of the links on the previous pages finish the Nebo climb at the roundabout where Mt Nebo Road meets with Bateson Road, Forestry Road and Manwaring Road, which if im not mistaken is a little bit further on than the Mt Nebo cafe?
According to Hillclimbr.com the start is the Bus Depot and the end is the Mt Nebo 617m sign qhich, from memory, is a bit before the cafe.

whichway

Postby whichway » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:26 am

How busy is this road during the week compared to on the weekend?

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:37 am

whichway wrote:How busy is this road during the week compared to on the weekend?
I am interested in that too. I presumed it might be a little quieter.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:12 am

winstonw wrote:
whichway wrote:How busy is this road during the week compared to on the weekend?
I am interested in that too. I presumed it might be a little quieter.
Depends on the time of day & which direction you're travelling.

Up in the morning would be against the main flow of workers commuting towards the CBD, although if returning the same way later that morning you would encounter the same traffic on the way down.

Afternoons visa-versa. As to how many cars/ motos (week days) I don't know as I only ever use that road early on weekends.

I haven't really answered your question have I ? :roll:
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

Purt

Postby Purt » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:29 am

dead.

I've gone up a several times during the week, I usually get overtaken by a max of like 10 (once I didn't see any at all) cars between gap and nebo. There's usually a few more coming the other way but I either go down the goat track or pei rd so don't really take notice.

notwal

Postby notwal » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:56 am

I've been up mid week a few times and there's bugger all traffic, but I've always been a bit late. I imagine if you start early you may find yourself coming down with the morning peak and that may be enough to spoil it somewhat.
judged, insulted, gone

igstar

Postby igstar » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:20 am

I was up from Victoria for a week's holiday in Brisbane and did this ride midweek - it was very quiet in terms of traffic. Really enjoyed the ride, but the steep descent going towards Stamford wasn't very pleasant - poor road surface, very steep and tight corners (I would like to tackle it up next time). I was also considering continuing on from Mt Glorious towards Lake Wivenhoe, but I wasn't sure what the roads would be like there. Next time.

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:37 am

igstar wrote:I was up from Victoria for a week's holiday in Brisbane and did this ride midweek - it was very quiet in terms of traffic. Really enjoyed the ride, but the steep descent going towards Stamford wasn't very pleasant - poor road surface, very steep and tight corners (I would like to tackle it up next time). I was also considering continuing on from Mt Glorious towards Lake Wivenhoe, but I wasn't sure what the roads would be like there. Next time.
The descent from Mt Glorious to Samford is moderately hideous and i will not be doing it more than once if i can help it.

Riding back down to Waterworks Rd (The Gap) is much nicer - most of the time.

There is road from Mt Nebo to Samford (The Goat Track) but it is unsealed and landslided into the valley in a few places so don't descend it on road bike!
The western descent to Wivenhoe, well that has a bad reputation for hairpins and crashes.
Enough said, hope you enjoyed your holiday here.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:11 am

Part of my wt loss activities were to walk up the Goat Track and Mt Glorious Rd during the week earlier this year.

Mt Glorious Rd (Pei Rd) during the week is reasonably busy with tradies, delivery vans, occasional tourists, and buses going up and down, some at speed. though not as busy as weekend.

Re coming down Mt Glorious Rd (called Pei Rd on some maps), you have to take it really easy from the Mt Nebo Rd intersection for 1.5km to the second hairpin (av 15% gradient). That's where most of the motorbikes crash often due to brake failure. On 2 occasions I've witnessed heavier cyclists get rim heat flats. Jobst Brandt recommends deflating the front tire 10-20% before a descent like that in addition to keeping speed down.

Purt

Postby Purt » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:52 pm

igstar wrote:I was up from Victoria for a week's holiday in Brisbane and did this ride midweek - it was very quiet in terms of traffic. Really enjoyed the ride, but the steep descent going towards Stamford wasn't very pleasant - poor road surface, very steep and tight corners (I would like to tackle it up next time). I was also considering continuing on from Mt Glorious towards Lake Wivenhoe, but I wasn't sure what the roads would be like there. Next time.
I can't remember the road surface on pei rd being poor in the past few years, maybe Vic is making you weak, I was actually thinking of how good the surface actually was like 2 weeks ago. It is much funner going up. I've been looking at doing a ride from Brisbane out to Ipswich, Wivenhoe, Mt Glorius, Nebo, Brisbane, the roads are pretty crap though.
elantra wrote:There is road from Mt Nebo to Samford (The Goat Track) but it is unsealed and landslided into the valley in a few places so don't descend it on road bike!
Decending the goat track on a road bike is fine, I do it almost weekly.

notwal

Postby notwal » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:06 pm

I just drove over that road Tuesday to check it out. The road surface is ok but its windy and steep for a long way. You'd be on your brakes nearly all the way down.
The road around Wivenhoe is fairly flat with some rolling hills. The Brisbane Valley highway seems somewhat long and boring and dangerous. It's narrow and a couple of big tanker trucks were belting along it when I drove it. However if you go north instead of south I think its ok. That is a route used for a 200 km audax brevet.
judged, insulted, gone

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:35 pm

I've never done this ride before but its calling me, calling me... I normally only commute and hate getting up early in the morning, so I was wondering what this ride (just to nebo, not glorious) would be like at night? I figure the road will be very quiet and I have very good lights so will be pretty visible. (My theory is if you have lights, and its really dark, you are more visible compared to driving where there's lots of other light sources around). I think I'd have to mount my extra light that's got a range of 200-400m though, dragging the extra weight up the hill would add to the exercise... Or am I crazy?