Nebo Glorious - My favourite ride

InTheWoods

Re: Nebo Glorious - My favourite ride

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:51 am

I should be in. But am wondering if you'll all be fast and I'll get left behind...

albertgaleano

Postby albertgaleano » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:31 am

I don't think we will leave anyone behind, my Korean friend hasn't done to much riding in Australia and wants to come along. We can always meet up at the coffee shops along the way :)

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:54 am

I guess I could woddle my way over there. I'm fine with anytime time. I might...maybe going a bit slower as I've hardly been on a bike this month because of the rain and my other/wet weather roadie is missing a chain and cassette :P

Servo to Glorious is about 1400-1500m of climbing so its not that much in the grand scheme of things. Plenty of flats and down hills to grab a quick rest/breather. For those that might want to save the legs for the Mt Glorious climb, just want a little extra breather from climbing or want to get ahead of anyone faster there is a detour just north of Mt Nebo where you can continue along the ridge line instead of dropping down towards the goat track and then climbing up again.

The really tough parts are the initial climb where the Mt Nebo Tourist Drive starts (just because its climbing :P) and the final 2 climbs up Mt Glorious (there is a downhill run/little flat between the two to get a breather). Mt Glorious to Samford is about 2/3 just downhill and 1/3 of that you are coasting/minimal spinning with the remaining 1/3 being flat. Samford Village to Ferny Grove can be a bit hairy at times depending on the traffic/minimal space at the bottom of the hill into Ferny Grove so another option would be to turn off Samford Road and hit the quieter local roads to the top of the hill on Samford road into Ferny Grove or come off Samford road and hit the quieter back roads via Camp Mountain. Only downside for going via Camp Mountain is that its about twice as long and has some hills with good scenery.

Possible break/rest/catch up points could be the Mt Nebo shops etc, the Mt Glorious restaurant - the one with the massive crock on the roof :P and maybe Samford Village?

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:05 pm

I'd prefer that last option even though its longer/hillier.

CaptainSlow

Postby CaptainSlow » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:13 pm

Nice mapping work! I'm keen for the camp mt option too - assuming it's not the same as the Camp Mt lookout off the Nebo rd (http://app.strava.com/segments/779666" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Did that last time on the way down from Glorious, was a little bit tough..

Good regroup point suggestions too.

albertgaleano

Postby albertgaleano » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:45 pm

InTheWoods wrote:I'd prefer that last option even though its longer/hillier.
me too

@lukeyboy Wow sounds like you have ridden that thing a few times!!!

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:17 pm

More than a few times :P It's been a while since I've gone via Camp Mountain and Upper Kedron though (usually head towards Dayboro way via Eatons Crossing/Winn Road as I live on the northside). The route I took last time was Canvey Road > Cemetery Road > Upper Kedron Road > Samford Road. They were in the early stages of building a shared pathway to connect Levitt Roads but I'm not sure if it went all the way or if it just hooked into the housing estate behind so taking Canvey/Cemetry Roads might be the better option.

Just had another thought. Since we'd mostly be bunched up because of the last rest stop/downhill run from Glorious what about getting off Samford Road early on and onto the back streets via Wights Mountain (false name as its just a crest on the road :P) and just powering on towards Camp Mountain bypassing Samford/Samford Village?

An estimated course profile - http://connect.garmin.com/course/3839637" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It would eliminate the worry of getting buzzed by a few drivers and without the worry of picking up punctures from riding in the crap on the shoulder.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:37 pm

CaptainSlow wrote:assuming it's not the same as the Camp Mt lookout off the Nebo rd (http://app.strava.com/segments/779666" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Did that last time on the way down from Glorious, was a little bit tough..
Anyone feel like attacking it on the way to Mt Nebo? I won't stop this time to take photos hahaha.

It would wind its way up that same mountain/ridge but nothing nowhere near that crazy as it will be lower/onto the smaller ridge line to the north. It would cover a similar elevation in climbing but instead of it being done over 600-700m it would be gradual and spread over 3-4km.

CaptainSlow

Postby CaptainSlow » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:54 pm

Nice photo - but I don't think any photo can convey the steepness of that bit of road! I remember swearing rather loudly as I rode around that corner and saw the road go from steep to very steep. I don't overly desire to ride up there again, but probably would if someone else was...

Wights sounds good, less time on PEI/Samford roads, the better.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:07 pm

Haha no question about that! I had 21% appear on my garmin a couple times. All I could think was "My ass this is a 13% climb!". At first it looks piss easy coming off Mt Nebo Road/after the first corner and then you get to the first blind corner where you just see this massive incline and then around the next blind corner its just even steeper than the first one and then it just keeps on going and going.

Pax

Postby Pax » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:22 pm

Sounding good fellas...

Plan = 6.30am Sunday meet at the Servo on Cnr of Settlement and Waterworks Rd.

Route = Loop of some kind...with all kinds of options listed above, I guess we can make a final decision on the day (we could even try the dreaded Mayfield Rd between Glorious and Samford- sometimes called "Mt O'Reilly Rd" because that is what the sign post says where you turn off Mt Glorious Rd.....it is an intimidating 23%...I'll be on a standard crank and 11-25 cluster so I won't be getting up it in my present state of fitness, but it is always fun to pay it a visit !!! )

In terms of "pace" and re-grouping; it sounds like we are a mixed group with some of us returning to riding after time off (that is my excuse and I am sticking to it), others not too confident of their hill climbing and others are probably rockets. There are plenty of places for us to re-group if we get split up.

Its going to be good to meet a few other BNA members.

Pax

Postby Pax » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:06 am

This is Mayfield/ MO'Reilly Rd...the photo doesn't capture the steepness :shock: ...they never do

....AND it keeps going up for a lung busting distance after this bit

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:06 am

Pax wrote:This is Mayfield/ MO'Reilly Rd...the photo doesn't capture the steepness :shock: ...they never do

Yes an impressive average of 16%. I think it kicks up to 34% about a 1/3 of the way up. Thankfully it's only 800 metres long :lol:

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:50 pm

:)

Maybe might have to do it on a 11-28... while still on the big 53 ring haha :P

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:47 pm

O'Reilly's is a f... well, its sucks, that's for sure.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:14 pm

Pax wrote:This is Mayfield/ MO'Reilly Rd...the photo doesn't capture the steepness :shock:
Looks pretty darn steep to me!
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Pax

Postby Pax » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:46 pm

singlespeedscott wrote: Yes an impressive average of 16%. I think it kicks up to 34% about a 1/3 of the way up. Thankfully it's only 800 metres long :lol:
Hardest 800m I've ever done...it feels like 34% all the way...and not much of it feels like 16%...psychologically it is a killer with a corner at what you think is the top...but around the corner it keeps going up.

It is looking like a cool 8 degree start for Sunday

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:05 pm

Arm and leg warmers..... check! :P

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:13 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
Pax wrote:This is Mayfield/ MO'Reilly Rd...the photo doesn't capture the steepness :shock: ...they never do

Yes an impressive average of 16%. I think it kicks up to 34% about a 1/3 of the way up. Thankfully it's only 800 metres long :lol:
Last year on that descent I thought I was going well at 104km/hr until I was passed by a mate coming out of my slipstream at 110km/hr :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:52 pm

Gotta say, that hill looks terrible, even in the photo.

Hopefully this doesn't make things any busier:
https://trailwalker.oxfam.org.au/brisbane/trail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There could be more riders than normal heading up too, due to road closures on the riverloop:
http://www.bq.org.au/news/ride-somewher ... is-sunday/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:50 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Arm and leg warmers..... check! :P
If it's 8 degrees here...then think of me in Stanthorpe this weekend! :?
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:14 pm

I'd already bowed out, but was also reminded by SWMBO that I've got kid duties Sunday morning anyway.... Have fun and stay safe guys. 8)

Hopefully I'll get to the next one.
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:39 pm

Yep hopefully we sort a repeat ride soon, I am keen.
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:56 pm

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:Arm and leg warmers..... check! :P
If it's 8 degrees here...then think of me in Stanthorpe this weekend! :?
Footy shorts, pluggers, singlet? :D :D

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:55 pm

So I am bringing my bike up from Sydney in July, to Brisbane. This ride looks pretty overrated compared to what we have down here, but I will let you know what I think after I have done it a couple of times.