Nebo Glorious - My favourite ride

GeoffInBrisbane

Re: Nebo Glorious - My favourite ride

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:50 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Since Strava likes to put on distance challenges how about we make our own Strava mountain challenge for every fortnightly or so? Springbrook, Binna Burra, Beechmont, Mt Tamborine, Mt Coot-tha, Mt Nebo, Cunningham Lookout/Camp Hill lookout (a nasty ~100m elevation climb over ~700-800m between Mt Nebo and Enoggera Reservoir), Mt Glorious, Clear Mountain, Mt Mee, Ocean View Road (between Dayboro and Mt Mee with 2x 15% pinches coming off Mt Mee Road), Mt Samson (from Dayboro way), Bald Knob/Balmoral Ridge and out to Maleny... what other climbing options are there out there... oh Bellthorp :P
Great idea, if we do this we should be flying by Gran Fondo time. Can we wait a couple of weeks before starting though?
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

Pax

Postby Pax » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:02 am

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:Since Strava likes to put on distance challenges how about we make our own Strava mountain challenge for every fortnightly or so? Springbrook, Binna Burra, Beechmont, Mt Tamborine, Mt Coot-tha, Mt Nebo, Cunningham Lookout/Camp Hill lookout (a nasty ~100m elevation climb over ~700-800m between Mt Nebo and Enoggera Reservoir), Mt Glorious, Clear Mountain, Mt Mee, Ocean View Road (between Dayboro and Mt Mee with 2x 15% pinches coming off Mt Mee Road), Mt Samson (from Dayboro way), Bald Knob/Balmoral Ridge and out to Maleny... what other climbing options are there out there... oh Bellthorp :P
Great idea, if we do this we should be flying by Gran Fondo time. Can we wait a couple of weeks before starting though?
I'll be in it whenever possible. The rides that are further away will be a bit hard for me to get to due to commitments later in the day on weekends...

Might have to get the old hill climber with compact cranks out of mothballs though!!!!

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:38 am

Don't forgot Campbell's Pocket, mt Mellum, Landsborough-Malaney rd.

I'd like to see route map strung together for that. :)

It would be a bit like the Fitz extreme in Canberra. A lot of diverging of a main route and then coming back down.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:54 am

Or Brandenburg Road, much more scenic than the main road up Bald Knob, though I've only driven it at this stage.

I'm working on a Buderim 9 style ride around Mt Ninderry atm.

Of course for those who live further south than I do, O'Reilly's or one of the other rides down that way are easily accessible. I do prefer longer more moderate climbs than the short and steep ones that are the main fare around here.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:22 am

ldrcycles wrote:Or Brandenburg Road, much more scenic than the main road up Bald Knob, though I've only driven it at this stage.
That's only if your coming down from the Sunshine Coast. When coming north I go up to Baldknob via mt. Mellum or up Baldknob road.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:54 am

Ah yes how could I forget Mt Mellum on the way to Maleny. Kenilworth/Nambour to Yandina via Mapleton is a pretty good run from what I remember. Instantly starts to climb out of Nambour and about 10km out from Kenilworth you start to climb the 400m of elevation of the Mapleton range or reserve then it gradually descents into Yandina about 10km out (Its the same mountain ridge that you climb to get to to Maleny).

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:10 pm

I'm heading up Nebo tomorrow for the first time and I'm curious to know how the traffic will be. I was wanting to leave the city at 6-6:15 tomorrow morning, but some of the other riders would prefer 1:00pm.

I'm thinking about heading straight down Waterworks Road and possibly coming back via Coopers Camp (although I feel it may be easier to just stay on Waterworks road until the Normanby).

Does anyone see any issues at going later in the day? I guess leaving it till 1 you'll have a better idea on the weather. While I have no problem riding in the wet, I'm somewhat concerned about descending in a place I'm unfamiliar with.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:08 pm

Coming down Nebo in the wet won't be a problem. It's not that steep. Just long. I would suggest an early departure though. Being a public holiday tomorrow there may be a few moto's riding up there later in the day.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:06 pm

The motos will be out in force that's for sure. If its damp it will be a bit quieter but still alot like to have a good ride up there. Doing it on a bicycle is thrilling enough so just imagine how fun it would be on a bike :P

Waterworks road is sort of a hit and miss on public holidays. Sometimes it gets the numbers up and other times its pretty quiet. One thing though would be Ashgrove Ave - Red Hill - City would be pretty busy mid arvo. Maybe chucking a left onto Ashgrove Ave to Kelvin Grove road and then onto Hertson Road and then bikeway RBWH-Roma Street. Or you can just use all the bikeways http://goo.gl/maps/PsJc0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

albertgaleano

Postby albertgaleano » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:20 am

Is this ride weather permitting??? I have a wet weather bike but it is a flatbar with mudguards :)

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:49 pm

If it was I'd also get on the flat bar. That being said it would really be one hell of a work out :lol:

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:14 pm

albertgaleano wrote:Is this ride weather permitting??? I have a wet weather bike but it is a flatbar with mudguards :)
The descent off Nebo would be a bit hairy in the wet...the road is in poor condition in parts, plus a couple of tight corners... add in the wet and reduced visibility and that's enough for me to avoid it when wet.
Long flatter rides are more suited to weather conditions made for ducks...save the climbs like Nebo for fine weather, in my opinion :wink:
Lisa

albertgaleano

Postby albertgaleano » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:01 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:If it was I'd also get on the flat bar. That being said it would really be one hell of a work out :lol:
That's why I love doing Cootha loops on the flatbar, the extra Kilos are great training :)

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:03 pm

marinmomma wrote:
albertgaleano wrote:Is this ride weather permitting??? I have a wet weather bike but it is a flatbar with mudguards :)
The descent off Nebo would be a bit hairy in the wet...the road is in poor condition in parts, plus a couple of tight corners... add in the wet and reduced visibility and that's enough for me to avoid it when wet.
Long flatter rides are more suited to weather conditions made for ducks...save the climbs like Nebo for fine weather, in my opinion :wink:
Imagine the fun going down the "Very Steep Descent" on Glorious :twisted: :twisted:

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:39 pm

Lukeyboy wrote: Imagine the fun going down the "Very Steep Descent" on Glorious :twisted: :twisted:
I love descending, but not that road in the wet...ever!
Lisa

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:44 pm

Would be fine though with 35mm tyres mounted on my 29er and my Shimano XT ice tech disc brakes.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:40 pm

marinmomma wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote: Imagine the fun going down the "Very Steep Descent" on Glorious :twisted: :twisted:
I love descending, but not that road in the wet...ever!
At least I wouldn't have to worry about brake fade from overheating in the corners after the 35kph hairpin after having scrubbed off 50+kph heading into it. I might have to start braking a few metres earlier though :P

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:00 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
marinmomma wrote:
Imagine the fun going down the "Very Steep Descent" on Glorious :twisted: :twisted:
Yeh I tried that in March in the wet. Did not have fun. Didn't crash, but kept briefly locking the rear wheel. Couldn't bear to use any more front brake as I thought that was going to let go as well, so was using both front and rear as I preferred locking the rear. Didn't have the confidence to do it at *any* type of speed, consequently I stopped a few times to let the rims cool down, because none of my energy was being wasted by wind resistance - it was all going into the brakes. I once lost it on that decent in the car in the wet, so its pretty scary - the car was going slow (I guess 30kmh +- 10) and I still lost the front end and understeared heading for the barriers and managed to stop before hitting them...

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:04 pm

take a good look at the guard rails to get an idea of how many motorcyclists misjudge the descent.
when I lived out there, there was an ambulance siren pretty much every weekend.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:23 pm

Pax

Postby Pax » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:32 am

Lukeyboy wrote:I head up there every now and then. I usually do glorious via Mt Nebo Road > Mt Glorious Road > chuck a u turn and head back towards Samford and either return via Clear Mountain or over the hill to Ferny Grove. There are a couple group rides that regularly head up that way which I can't remember too much off the top of my head. If you need a riding buddy just chuck me a message.
Captainslow wrote:I'd be keen if there's a small group from here heading up at some point. Always keen to meet new people to ride with.

I'd doing the RM fondo too, so some hills work is definitely in order.

albertgaleano wrote:I am keen to tag along if you guys are planning it for a Sunday morning ride
Brisvagas wrote:I'd be keen to give it another go soon too. I've signed up for the Gran Fondo and am a bit nervous about my hill climbing ability.

I need to find a 12-27 (or bigger) cluster first! The 11-23 on there now wont cut it for my power v weight equation.
Bret.Hooker wrote:Servo at the gap is a great meeting place with a public park and ride (a real ride) across the road...

I will check my family calendar; would love to meet some of you guys!

Hopefully some of you are slow like me... Alternatively, I can just catch you for the second coffee at the top..
Pax wrote:I'd be up for this I think. Haven't done Mt N & G for a couple of years, but they are my next target.

I'll be riding across from Bray Park most likely so meeting at the Gap Servo on Cnr of waterworks and settlement Rd would be good, or at the 7 - 11 park and ride...am I right in thinking that is pretty much the same place?????
InTheWoods wrote:What kind of time are you guys talking about at the gap servo?

I don't think I missed anyone. GeoffInBrisbane said he was unavailable this time around.

So are we definitely in for this Sunday 6.00 or 6.30 am at the 7 Eleven Servo Cnr Settlement Rd and Waterworks???

Forecast is fine weather.

Who prefers which time?

I'm in and prefer 6.30 but will do 6.00 if that is the consensus.

albertgaleano

Postby albertgaleano » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:10 am

Cool, I am in!!! and have maybe 2 friends that are keen. I prefer 6:30am as well but can do 6 am if need be :D

CaptainSlow

Postby CaptainSlow » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:59 am

I'm in. Either time is OK for me, looks like 6:30 is gathering momentum.

What's the planned route? Straight up and back?

albertgaleano

Postby albertgaleano » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:43 am

I like the look of Lukeyboy's loop he showed on the last page. However I am keen for anything :)

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:23 am

I'll bow out. You guys sound miles faster than me. And I still need to find a cassette before I tackle any sort of hills.
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11