Nebo Glorious - My favourite ride

Re: Nebo Glorious - My favourite ride

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:16 pm

25T/Compact (I hope)? Think I need to get me some big ass cassette then. 28T SRAM Red for the price of a small car... :roll:

Compact? Me? Never. Haha.

I quite like the steep part of the descent to Samford and find that a buzz, but the back of Glorious concerns me enough that I haven't done it yet. The fact that nutteyboy finds it full on just adds to that... :lol:

Wish I were a better descender, yet another thing to work on...

Hahaha. I just have good bike control skills. Riding motorbikes before I was in primary school might have something to do with that I think :P Descending is pretty much all about experience and knowledge in your own skills/ability and knowledge of your bike. It's exactly like cornering. At first you might be afraid to go 15kph through the turns in the boondal wetlands but the more experience/knowledge you have with cornering you might then corner in the 30's with ease because you know you won't fall off or the bike won't slide out from underneath. Same with descending. You can feel when the brakes start to fade. You know how to take the lines through corners. You know how to use your body as an airbrake. You know when to and shouldn't use the brakes. You know how fast you can take that turn. etc etc etc.

The video doesn't give a really good perspective at how steep it is but here is me casually descending the back side. I don't advise using my breaking technique or what I did on the mid corner/exit at 4.01 and at various other times :P
Lukeyboy

by BNA » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:25 pm

BNA

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:25 pm

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:I'm with you, Rhubarb. I quite like the steep part of the descent to Samford and find that a buzz, but the back of Glorious concerns me enough that I haven't done it yet. The fact that nutteyboy finds it full on just adds to that... :lol:.

I've only done the back once - and it was wet! First time I've ever had to get off and walk - on a descent! I just couldn't control it on the really steep tight hairpin - I didn't dare use any more front brake because it was near the limit and the rear kept locking.
InTheWoods

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:30 pm

Leading to the tight double hairpin. The video above it was wet on the fringes and under some shadows. The bad thing about the Glorious descent is that when wet the fringes/road become as slick as a bowling lane. I've almost lost it once on a slight flat bit leading to a climb. It's worse than me wheelspinning it up Clear Mountain :P
Lukeyboy

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:52 am

Lukeyboy wrote:
25T/Compact (I hope)? Think I need to get me some big ass cassette then. 28T SRAM Red for the price of a small car... :roll:

Compact? Me? Never. Haha.

Hmm well I guess I should be alright with my girly 34/25 then. Mmm. :|

Lukeyboy wrote:Hahaha. I just have good bike control skills. Riding motorbikes before I was in primary school might have something to do with that I think :P Descending is pretty much all about experience and knowledge in your own skills/ability and knowledge of your bike. It's exactly like cornering. At first you might be afraid to go 15kph through the turns in the boondal wetlands but the more experience/knowledge you have with cornering you might then corner in the 30's with ease because you know you won't fall off or the bike won't slide out from underneath. Same with descending. You can feel when the brakes start to fade. You know how to take the lines through corners. You know how to use your body as an airbrake. You know when to and shouldn't use the brakes. You know how fast you can take that turn. etc etc etc.

The video doesn't give a really good perspective at how steep it is but here is me casually descending the back side. I don't advise using my breaking technique or what I did on the mid corner/exit at 4.01 and at various other times :P

Nice car crash you caught there...very reassuring! :lol:

InTheWoods wrote:
GeoffInBrisbane wrote:I'm with you, Rhubarb. I quite like the steep part of the descent to Samford and find that a buzz, but the back of Glorious concerns me enough that I haven't done it yet. The fact that nutteyboy finds it full on just adds to that... :lol:.

I've only done the back once - and it was wet! First time I've ever had to get off and walk - on a descent! I just couldn't control it on the really steep tight hairpin - I didn't dare use any more front brake because it was near the limit and the rear kept locking.

Eek, in the wet, no thanks! Sounds very scary...

Just Riding Along
GeoffInBrisbane

Postby vbplease » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:51 pm

Very cool video. Thanks for posting! You've inspired me to do it this wknd now.

Lukeyboy, I'm guessing you've done the descent down the north side of Mt Mee?
vbplease

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:32 pm

Car vs motorbike. Climbing up the steep part on the front of Glorious cop cars and ambos went flying past. Got to the very top and a bunch of MG cars - just one after another after another - went past. While descending the back it all made sense as to why.

vbplease wrote:Very cool video. Thanks for posting! You've inspired me to do it this wknd now.

Lukeyboy, I'm guessing you've done the descent down the north side of Mt Mee?

I've only had the privilege of climbing the northside of Mt Mee. Done plenty of descents into Dayboro but not over to Woodford way.
Lukeyboy

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:51 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:

Car vs motorbike. Climbing up the steep part on the front of Glorious cop cars and ambos went flying past. Got to the very top and a bunch of MG cars - just one after another after another - went past. While descending the back it all made sense as to why.

Oh dear, not good at all. :(

Just Riding Along
GeoffInBrisbane

Previous

Return to Queensland