Brisbane to Noosa

Simplysideways

Brisbane to Noosa

Postby Simplysideways » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:53 pm

Hi all am looking to cycle to Noosa from Hamilton Brisbane, any one know a route and what's the story with Bruce highway cycling, thanks in advance

RonK

Re: Brisbane to Noosa

Postby RonK » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:58 pm

From Carseldine to about Burpengary the Bruce Highway is motorway and bicycles are not permitted.

There are other routes, but this one is the route that was used for the USM Noosa Century ride a few years ago. Whilst it avoids the Bruce Hwy and Steve Irwin Drive, it's quite busy through Morayfield and Caboolture, and it finishes along the David Low Way which can also be quite busy. The David Low Way has a good shoulder in most places and is safe enough. Be warned though - the road over Keils Mountain is quite steep, and there were many walkers (and crampers) during the Noosa Century. It comes at around the 100km mark when the legs are just starting to tire.

BTW, can you please remove the duplicate thread you posted.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:09 pm

I just had a quick look through the listed route & there is a bit of an alternative.

From Brisbane (for you it would be across the back of Hamilton to Albion, then up onto Lutwytche Rd/Gympie Road, follow this to Carseldine then take Old Gympie Road (as stated earlier bicycles are not allowed on the Bruce Highway) through Strathpine, Petrie up through Kallangur to Burpengary, it becomes Uhlmann Road on the far side of Burpengary, then through Morayfield to Caboulture. Go through Caboulture (you are virtually still going in a straight line still on the same road which is Old Gympie Road just renamed these days), out the back of Caboulture it becomes Beerburrum Road follow that through Berrburrum to Steve Irwin Way, turn left along it (you go past Australia Zoo) & you can follow that road all the way to the coast.

You are following the old Bruce Highway the whole way, these days it is called Old Gympie Road & various other local renames but you hopefully get my drift.

Chuck us a pm if you have any questions, it's pretty easy.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:09 pm

Wal42 wrote:Go through Caboulture (you are virtually still going in a straight line still on the same road which is Old Gympie Road just renamed these days), out the back of Caboulture it becomes Beerburrum Road follow that through Berrburrum to Steve Irwin Way, turn left along it (you go past Australia Zoo) & you can follow that road all the way to the coast.
That would be a poor choice - The Steve Irwin Way carries heavy traffic, and leads right on to the Bruce Hwy or Caloundra Road. I've ridden that route several times on the Cycleogical Noosa Century and can vouch that it's not a pleasant ride. The route devised by USM was created to avoid heavily trafficked roads, and apart from the crossing of Keil Mountain it is a much better way to go.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:08 pm

Well I rode my poor choice today, went to Noosa & back.

The only issues- I had to 'phone a friend' just after I got onto Steve Irwin Way, it was my second puncture for the morning.

He met me with another friend that responded to "Hey want to ride from Maroochydore to Noosa this morning" & his lovely wife who had 4 spare tubes & a thermos of hot coffee, the three of us did Maroochydore to Noosa & return, then I did the solo back to E. Park, it was good riding with someone else for a change, most of my rides are solo commute rides or solo weekend jaunts.

Traffic????? If you have ever commuted by bike through everyday traffic then this route won't worry you. Lot's of tyre cutting garbage along the road, I reckon the Ultremo's are just about RS after todays ride, you'd be better with a more training or touring orientated tyre. But fairly flatish, easy riding, some spots are a little tight with the traffic, but all in all I liked that way.

I'll download the other route & maybe ride it in a few weeks to see how they compare.

baggo

Postby baggo » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:41 pm

Thinking of riding from Brisbane to Noosa , any suggestion on what map to follow . Ideally trying to find a mapmyride or garmin map I can follow as I'm not from Brisbane .
Is it a manageable ride in a day

albertgaleano

Postby albertgaleano » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:22 pm

Hi, a few years ago I road from Mooloolaba back to Brisbane via Montville & Mt Mee, great ride even though it was raining most of the time. I am pretty sure going from Brisbane would be sweet and you can pretty much ride along the coast to Noosa from Moolooaba.

https://www.strava.com/activities/129664479

elpatron

Postby elpatron » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:58 am

I remember seeing a few local conti riders do this last year. They take a pretty traffic heavy route but it's flat for the most part, just put it in reverse.

https://www.strava.com/activities/424923647

Here is another one I remember also very traffic heavy but this has more hills yet isn't over proper mountains

https://www.strava.com/activities/423480473

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:18 pm

Just to add to RonK's comment from 2011, the Department of Transport have told me that bicycles are not allowed on ANY part of the Bruce Highway, and that they just haven't got signs up on all sections yet. This was a few years ago now, in response to an email i sent complaining about new signs near Cooroy.
Their reasoning (i kid you not) was that if bicycles weren't banned on the highway, schoolkids would ride on it. The response to my point that the highway between Cooroy and Yandina had a far wider and safer shoulder than any other local roads, was that i should talk to the local council about getting those other roads improved. We're being controlled by idiots.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia