New to road cycling, new to Townsville, new to Australia.

philthebushman

New to road cycling, new to Townsville, new to Australia.

Postby philthebushman » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:35 am

Hi everyone,

I'm moving to Townsville from the UK in 3 weeks. Just as I should be packing I have distracted myself by test riding road bikes instead! I have ridden MTBs since I was a teenager (not that long ago I'm 27) and had always shunned road bikes. A few months ago I took a Pinarello FP2 for spin around Bristol, and 20 miles later I was completely hooked!

I was going to buy the bike here and bring it with me, but unfortunately excess baggage costs have ruled that out. I've managed to find Townsville Cycling Club on the web, and although it's informative, their site doesn't really say when/where they meet or how to get involved.

Once I have bought a bike (can anyone recommend a good LBS in Townsville?) I'd like to get into riding with some groups (who will be patient with a novice) with a view to potentially compete in the future when my fitness and experience have increased. Just wanted to know if anyone knew the best way of doing this in Townsville.

Thanks in advance

fullmoon

Re: New to road cycling, new to Townsville, new to Australia

Postby fullmoon » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:13 pm

dont know if any body has replied to your post but they have about 6 -7 decent bike shops in townsville.
they are all easy to find.
bng sports, top brand cycles, off n on bikes,townsville bicycle centre as well as a few others all the top brands are covered
just do a google search.
i bought my bike at bng the boys all seem pretty happy to serve and help you which is great.

The 2nd Womble

Re: New to road cycling, new to Townsville, new to Australia

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:36 pm

You're moving to Townsville from Bristol? At this time of year? Are you stark raving mad?!

Anyhow, I lived in Townsville for 21 years (in Brissy the last 6) and the scene up there is growing very very fast. A word about the clubs though. They're (or at least they were) rather an elitist bunch, so tread carefully. As for the cycling, try Paluma and Harveys Range for a good test of ones abilities. Oh and watch out for the road trains. They dont like going around stuff very much
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves