Route from Aspley to city?

Re: Route from Aspley to city?

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:45 pm

According to Strava its a 5.5km/92m gain from Stingybark Drive to Shand street (+50m if you shortcut through the hilly part of Shand street) which should end up being on par with City-Enoggera Creek Bikeway. How about this route? http://www.strava.com/routes/56246 I'd be more inclined to do that on a flatbar from Trouts Road to the City including the extended loop through the gardens. I'm sure you'd know about all the shortcuts to take once your in the city if you're pressed for time.

Just a couple warnings.

Traffic along Wilston Road can be a bit heavy but since you come out next to a railway level crossing there are plenty of keep clear signs/road markings and the added benefit of having the traffic come to a complete stop because of the level crossing being activated for the out of service and in service trains (working next to Alderley railway station the traffic is always banked up because of the lx during peak hour and cyclists are frequently utilising the keep clear signs/markings to cross the road instead of at the lights).

Newmarket road. Its a benefit and also a bloody disadvantage. Because its outside Wilston railway station there is some limited on street parking so you are put into the door zone. The advantage of that is that sometimes there can be long gaps between the parked cars which is pointless for cars to change lane but its a whole lane for you. The road is slightly wider in the left hand lane so you can be on the edge of the door zone and still not "impede" traffic that hate it because apparently we go at a crawling pace - not that it would matter because people are always activating the ped crossing lights outside the station creating alot of stationary traffic :P (utilise the ped crossing outside the train station so you can cross the road and access the backstreets going towards the Enoggera Creek Bikeway).
Image
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 2304
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am
Location: Brisbane

by BNA » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:42 am

BNA
 

Re: Route from Aspley to city?

Postby spirro » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:42 am

Lukeyboy wrote:According to Strava its a 5.5km/92m gain from Stingybark Drive to Shand street (+50m if you shortcut through the hilly part of Shand street) which should end up being on par with City-Enoggera Creek Bikeway. How about this route? http://www.strava.com/routes/56246 I'd be more inclined to do that on a flatbar from Trouts Road to the City including the extended loop through the gardens. I'm sure you'd know about all the shortcuts to take once your in the city if you're pressed for time.

Just a couple warnings.

Traffic along Wilston Road can be a bit heavy but since you come out next to a railway level crossing there are plenty of keep clear signs/road markings and the added benefit of having the traffic come to a complete stop because of the level crossing being activated for the out of service and in service trains (working next to Alderley railway station the traffic is always banked up because of the lx during peak hour and cyclists are frequently utilising the keep clear signs/markings to cross the road instead of at the lights).

Newmarket road. Its a benefit and also a bloody disadvantage. Because its outside Wilston railway station there is some limited on street parking so you are put into the door zone. The advantage of that is that sometimes there can be long gaps between the parked cars which is pointless for cars to change lane but its a whole lane for you. The road is slightly wider in the left hand lane so you can be on the edge of the door zone and still not "impede" traffic that hate it because apparently we go at a crawling pace - not that it would matter because people are always activating the ped crossing lights outside the station creating alot of stationary traffic :P (utilise the ped crossing outside the train station so you can cross the road and access the backstreets going towards the Enoggera Creek Bikeway).


Thanks for all that Luke. Appreciate all the information. That Strava segment you created looks interesting and definitely something I will consider. Thanks for the tips on Wilston and Newmarket Rds.

With Shand St, would I just ride on the footpath (on the wrong side of the road) until I reach the entrance to the bikeway?

With regard to the shortcuts in the CBD, not really sure what you refer to. I need to get to the bottom end of Albert St so I guess if I was in a hurry I'd go up Roma St and probably cut through King George Square and the mall (on foot of course). Is that what you refer to?
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

Image
spirro
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 6:38 am

Re: Route from Aspley to city?

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:41 am

No worries. I live in Aspley and I work at Alderley so its 2 areas I know alot about :P

Yep. The footpath is very wide starting all the way back from Stafford road. Just be weary of the bus stop there in the afternoon peak as a lot of people tend to get off there. Once you get to Matthews Street there is a fence going along the length of the footpath from there to the bikeway entrance. At the start when heading inbound shortcut the chicane by going to the right of the fence and cutting across the grass (now actually hard dirt due to everyone doing that :P).

Yep. North Quay/William/Margaret/Albert, Charlotte/Geroge/Under Turbot/Roma are a couple routes.
Image
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 2304
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Route from Aspley to city?

Postby spirro » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:22 am

Thanks mate. I'm going to try to do a trial run this weekend.

Are you able to share one of your Strava commutes to work in Alderley? Whim me the link if you don't want to share it with others. Just curious!
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

Image
spirro
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 6:38 am

Re: Route from Aspley to city?

Postby spirro » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:39 pm

Can I get some advice on getting onto the Bicentennial Bikeway from the Roma St Parklands (intersection near the roundabout). I assumed the best way was down Herschel St (on the footpath) and then cross the pedestrian and head down to the bikeway. Someone at work mentioned another route where you go down Tank St, then onto George St then onto the footpath of Turbot St and entering the bike way from there. The way back would entail going up Turbot St and turning left into Roma St.

Just wondering what others do as both ways look ugly? I have to head down towards the QUT end.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Roma+St, ... 6&lci=bike
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

Image
spirro
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 6:38 am

Re: Route from Aspley to city?

Postby jasonc » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:29 pm

From roma st parklands to bicentennial bike way, I do the following:

1. ride through the law courts
2.cross the pedestrian lights onto tank st (there's a 2-way bike lane)
3. go across the kuriulpa bridge
4. go along the river and take the ramp after the go-between bridge
5. go over the go-between bridge

not the quickest way but you only have 2 traffic lights
did the route for you:
http://www.strava.com/routes/65727
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 6064
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Route from Aspley to city?

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:49 pm

I'd do Roma Street - QUT in one of three ways. https://www.google.com/maps?saddr=Unkno ... 6&lci=bike or https://www.google.com/maps?saddr=Unkno ... 6&lci=bike Both involves sections of running on the road but its the city so traffic speeds aren't that fast so you should be able to motor along without issues. I'd personally run it via the roads because a Green Light at Ann Street will get you to the intersection of the Victoria Bridge. If you get a red simply jump across the bus lane and enter into the Queen Street entrance to the bikeway.

The third involves crossing North Quay which can be a pain at times if you just happen to miss the light cycle which is the route you suggested https://www.google.com/maps?saddr=Unkno ... 6&lci=bike

Best way back via the bikeway would be to the Queen Street exit. If I was doing it i'd just bang it straight down George Street and go either via Adelaide Street/King George/Roma Street bike lanes and then into Roma Street ( https://www.google.com/maps?saddr=Unkno ... 7&lci=bike ) or https://www.google.com/maps?saddr=Unkno ... 7&lci=bike

I tend to avoid Turbot street on the return because I know I can bang it along further up the road and cut across the courts and use the cycle lights/jump into the turn right lane due to the ped crossing/traffic jam/light cycle getting on to Roma Street.
Last edited by Lukeyboy on Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Image
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 2304
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Route from Aspley to city?

Postby RonK » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:04 pm

spirro wrote:Can I get some advice on getting onto the Bicentennial Bikeway from the Roma St Parklands (intersection near the roundabout).

I live in Tank Street, and have used the Herschel Street ramp many times. But it's a pain waiting for the lights there to cross Herschel Street first then North Quay. And it's heading the wrong way for you.

The way I usually go is along Tank Street to North Quay. As previously posted, go through the new court plaza to reach Tank Street. Dismount if you're not confident, and cross North Quay (it's one-way) to the far lane or to the footpath, turn left and ride 200m to the ramp onto the bikeway.

At peak hours North Quay is busy and fast. I often have to wait to cross, sometimes until the lights at Herschel Street change. Be patient.

Click on the Google icon and you can see the ramp across from the Mercure.



Coming back I cross North Quay at the top of the ramp and ride the footpath to Tank Street.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5367
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: Route from Aspley to city?

Postby spirro » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:26 pm

Thanks for all the options guys. I will look at all of them and see what works best for me.

Lukeyboy only one of your Google map links seems to show anything.
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

Image
spirro
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 6:38 am

Re: Route from Aspley to city?

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:36 pm

Updated.
Image
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 2304
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Route from Aspley to city?

Postby spirro » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:48 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Updated.


Thanks Luke

RonK wrote:The way I usually go is along Tank Street to North Quay. As previously posted, go through the new court plaza to reach Tank Street. Dismount if you're not confident, and cross North Quay (it's one-way) to the far lane or to the footpath, turn left and ride 200m to the ramp onto the bikeway.

Coming back I cross North Quay at the top of the ramp and ride the footpath to Tank Street.


Ronk, quick question about Tank St. When you say take Tank St down to North Quay, part of that road (near the entry to the Kurilpa bridge) says No Entry and the road is one way in the opposite direction. Is that the path you talk about in order to get to North Quay?
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

Image
spirro
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 6:38 am

Re: Route from Aspley to city?

Postby jasonc » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:55 pm

spirro wrote:Ronk, quick question about Tank St. When you say take Tank St down to North Quay, part of that road (near the entry to the Kurilpa bridge) says No Entry and the road is one way in the opposite direction. Is that the path you talk about in order to get to North Quay?


I have video of the tank st bike path. give me 10 mins.

EDIT: nope

I've got another way. will put it together.
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 6064
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Route from Aspley to city?

Postby jasonc » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:04 pm



it'll take a while

so this was turning right out of roma st parklands
left into markerston st
over north quay onto the bicentennial bikeway
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 6064
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Route from Aspley to city?

Postby spirro » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:13 pm

Appreciate that Jason. The video isn't available yet but I'll be sure to take a look when it is.
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

Image
spirro
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 6:38 am

Re: Route from Aspley to city?

Postby RonK » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:42 pm

spirro wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:Updated.


Thanks Luke

RonK wrote:The way I usually go is along Tank Street to North Quay. As previously posted, go through the new court plaza to reach Tank Street. Dismount if you're not confident, and cross North Quay (it's one-way) to the far lane or to the footpath, turn left and ride 200m to the ramp onto the bikeway.

Coming back I cross North Quay at the top of the ramp and ride the footpath to Tank Street.


Ronk, quick question about Tank St. When you say take Tank St down to North Quay, part of that road (near the entry to the Kurilpa bridge) says No Entry and the road is one way in the opposite direction. Is that the path you talk about in order to get to North Quay?


Yes. There is section of about 10 metres with a hump right near the cafe which is one-way. On the other side it is two-way. You can either ignore it or ride the footpath through the tables, plenty of riders go that way, as at peak times there is often a queue of traffic waiting to turn into the carpark on the left or into the Santos building on the right. At least everything is slow moving. It's a classic piece of poor road design. On the original Kurilpa Bridge design there was a new ramp running down from the bridge to join up with the existing ramp down the riverbank, but it never got built.

My front door is right there next to the cafe (The Bench), which is in my building.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5367
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Previous

Return to Queensland

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit