Brisbane Retro Ride

Hamster

Brisbane Retro Ride

Postby Hamster » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:04 am

Is anyone interested in a retro ride for pre-1990s bikes (or for the lovers of older bikes) on the north side of Brisbane?

My suggestion is to meet in Decker Park at 9:00 AM on the 13 of November near the southern approach to the Redcliffe bridge. There is plenty of parking plus facilities. Initially we could do a gentle ride along Flinders Parade to Sandgate, follow the water front through Shorncliffe and along the bike path through the Boondall Wetlands.

We could then have coffee at Nudgee Beach and return the same way. The distance is an easy 38 kms but we could easily extend that by going along the Schultz Canal if people wanted something longer.

If it’s a nice day I might even give Charlotte an outing.

This is only a suggestion to get the ball rolling so feel free to make other suggestions.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

Retro man

Re: Brisbane Retro Ride

Postby Retro man » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:14 pm

Hi Hampster
Looks like everyone loves Retro bikes, its just no one wants to ride them!
Rob...
Gitane Criterium. Puch mistral SE. Manhattan Flyer.

Retro man

Postby Retro man » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:54 pm

I will have a word with the organisers of Pushies Galore and see if we can get something going even if it is just an annual thing to start off with, there has got to be more interest than in our two threads, maybe we just have to get our message out to the right people somehow. I think the concept will work and at that swap there should be people interested in old bikes, well they were there at the last one anyway.
I will go for a ride with you at a later date in the year if you want. we could meet halfway some where.
Rob...

munga

Postby munga » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:36 am

sounds like a nice ride.

munga

Postby munga » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:38 am

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:28 am

Hey Munga

Thanks for the flyer, it looks really cool 8)

The weather forecast is looking good so Charlotte may get her first outing since Pushies Galore in July. Hopefully there will be a good turn-up of older bikes or those who appreciate their qualities.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:50 pm

wow, i would really love to do it but my roadie is in pieces and am unsure if I can do it on the SS/fixie. and what is the average speed you guys usually ride? unsure i can keep up with some of you?

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:03 pm

vaeske wrote:wow, i would really love to do it but my roadie is in pieces and am unsure if I can do it on the SS/fixie. and what is the average speed you guys usually ride? unsure i can keep up with some of you?
Probably more a case of can we keep up with you. :lol:

Please come as my plan is for more of a pleasant social ride rather than hard-core training. Where we end-up can be decided on the day and our speed can be as slow as the slowest rider (probably me) :lol: , I know of a really good coffee shop in Brighton and an even better one that's somewhat further away.

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:18 am

Okay, i'll have to ask the misses and see if she wants to come, she refuses to ride my retro built bikes for some odd reason. :shock:

how many has confirmed so far? mungster you swinging past from down south?

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:51 am

I have nothing specific planned and really up whatever people want to do, the ride can be as short or as long as we want to make it.

One option would be an easy ride along Flinders Parade to Sandgate then on through the Boondall Wetlands with a stop at Pam’s Café in Nudgee Beach and then back to Sandgate/Brighton for some serious coffee at Generations Café.

http://www.beanhunter.com/cafes/review/Generations-Cafe

I highly recommend Generations coffee and the general atmosphere is relaxed and friendly. The distance of this option would be around 37 kms

A longer option would be similar to the above but extended to take in the Jim Sorely Bike Path along the Schultz Canal with a stop at Dandelion Driftwood.

http://www.beanhunter.com/cafes/review/ ... -driftwood

The coffee at Dandelion Driftwood is spectacular but the distance of around 70 kms might be a problem.

It’s really up to whatever people want to do. All I’m looking for is an easy relaxed friendly ride and to blow the cobwebs off one of my Peugeots.

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:55 pm

Hamster, I am really keen for a retro ride, but I promised the misses I'd spend Sunday with her as I'm playing golf on Sat. I've tried getting her involved but she's a no go for Sunday which means any other weekend I'd be in. Sorry chief.

munga

Postby munga » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:53 pm

unfortunately, my wife's ill, so i'm housebound this weekend, guys. hella keen to go check out the foreshore up there tho, even if it means an hr in the car to get there. do they have trains nearby? can you take a bike on a train?

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:14 am

munga wrote:unfortunately, my wife's ill, so i'm housebound this weekend, guys. hella keen to go check out the foreshore up there tho, even if it means an hr in the car to get there. do they have trains nearby? can you take a bike on a train?
Sorry to hear that your cook is unwell.

If you wanted to get there by train it's really easy. Just take a Shorncliffe line train to Sandgate station. After you leave the station just go straight ahead, past Hoffy Cycles, the Sandgate Town Hall and into the main shopping street. Take one of the side streets to the right which will lead you to the waterfront and Flinders Parade. Cycle north along Flinders Parade for approx 5 kms. Just before the bridge the road makes a left-hand turn, instead of following the road cross to the shared bike/ped path and follow that for 200 meters or so and you'll be in Decker Park. The meeting place is at the northern end of the park just before the cycle path begins to climb up onto the bridge.

Oh and yes taking your bike on the train is ok. They only object during the peaks.

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:59 am

The ride left Decker Park at approx' 9:10 and along Flinders Parade to Sandgate, climbed up Cliffe Street and then around the waterfront to Shorncliffe returning to Sandgate via Curlew Park.

Then on to Brighton for coffee at Generations, actually one of the best long blacks I have ever had :D . Then returned to Sandgate and back up Flinders Parade to Decker Park.

All up an easy relaxed ride of around 20 kms. I rode my 'new' Repco Olympic 12 mainly because I wanted to give it a test before my first commute on it.

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:17 pm

Count me in next time - the Repco spends far too much time hanging up and not being ridden.
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:39 pm

uncle arthur wrote:Count me in next time - the Repco spends far too much time hanging up and not being ridden.

No problems - I'd like this to become a regular thing. Seeing that we're about to enter the Christmas season I'm thinking of having the next one possibly in February and then something like the first Sunday of every second month.

koen

Postby koen » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:37 pm

I am sorry I only just saw this thread. I'll tighten up the cotter pins and bring out the Healing for the next ride.
Any chance we could start and finish more centrally next time? Maybe West End or Soutbank?
Anyway, a great idea...good on ewes all

frog

Brisbane Retro Ride

Postby frog » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:53 pm

Can't believe I missed this, sorry guys, in for next time. If I miss the thread some one pm me!

munga

Postby munga » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:48 pm

can i suggest that if your name's in here, you will be pm'd 2 weeks before the next retro ride.
i would like to see perhaps one month at the original location, the next month around the river - 2 waterfront rides.

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:08 pm

munga wrote:can i suggest that if your name's in here, you will be pm'd 2 weeks before the next retro ride.
i would like to see perhaps one month at the original location, the next month around the river - 2 waterfront rides.
I'd agree to that. My plan is for a nice relaxed ride with friends, good coffee, pleasant surroundings and where ever suits the majority of participants. I'm a northern suburbs kinda guy so that's where my preference lies, but hey I have an ute and will travel. So if somebody wants to organize something down south then I'm game.

Sending a PM is a good idea.

Retro man

Postby Retro man » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:03 pm

If there is one on the southside count me in!
Rob...

Retro man

Postby Retro man » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:26 pm

Any chance of having one in December or January?
Rob....