Safer way down front-side of Coot-tha

franklin

Safer way down front-side of Coot-tha

Postby franklin » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:18 pm

I noticed yesterday they've resurfaced the little side road to the left of the front side of coot-tha - just near the legacy way carpark.
it used to be horribly broken up and shoddy.

so now it's one way and offers a much safer alternative to get down the mountain cause:
a) it's a two lane one way road, with far less traffic (at least from the two times i went down it yesterday)
b) the road levels out a bit at the bottom so you can rub off some speed without having to squeeze the brakes so hard (like you need to do on the regular road)
c) the visibility at the end of this road as it hits sir samual griffith/mt coot-tha road is much better in both directions
d) you get an extra 50 metres of hill to smash down as you head back to toowong

lethoso

Re: Safer way down front-side of Coot-tha

Postby lethoso » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:05 pm

You think the regular way down front is dangerous? :|

Queestce

Postby Queestce » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:48 pm

Good to hear it's been resurfaced, but I would watch out. Assuming everyone realises it's one way and spreading out over both lanes is a recipe for disaster - I've seen a few cars going the wrong way up there. The regular way down, while I agree with your braking argument, is pretty obviously one way!

franklin

Postby franklin » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:45 am

the main route down gets pretty steep at the end. i don't know about you, but i am usually hard, hard, hard on the brakes.
you are so hard on the brakes you can't use hand signals and then seeing if any cars are coming from the left is quite difficult due to the big chunk of hill on the corner.
sometimes I do front side repeats and adding a u-turn to that maneouvre adds another level of complexity

so no, i do not think it's "dangerous" - it's just that i think there is a safer option.

and yes, keep to the left of that side road, you don't need the whole road anyway to get good lines

elantra

Postby elantra » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:16 am

Queestce wrote:Good to hear it's been resurfaced, but I would watch out. Assuming everyone realises it's one way and spreading out over both lanes is a recipe for disaster - I've seen a few cars going the wrong way up there. The regular way down, while I agree with your braking argument, is pretty obviously one way!
Yes my thoughts exactly, i too have recently seen car turn into that one-way road going uphill (wrong direction) :shock:

It is my preferred descend route off the mountain, but i remain alert for the possibility of an oncoming vehicle.

Also watch out for cars entering/exiting from the Legacy roadworks staff carpark.