Brisbane Retro Ride 10 December

Brisbane Retro Ride 10 December

Postby Hamster » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:08 am

Guys,

At vast expense to the management Hamster will be holding another Brisbane retro ride on Saturday 10 December. The main reason is simply to enjoy an easy relaxed ride with new friends in pleasant surroundings. A secondary reason is to give the bikes an outing to check for any bugs before the Noosa L'Eroica.

My suggestion is to meet at the Toombul Cycle Track in Hedley Ave at 8:00 AM. From there an easy ride along Schultz Canal to Nudgee Road, we can then choose to either go through the Boondall Wetlands to Sandgate for coffee at Generations or else take Nudgee Road into Nudgee Beach for coffee. Except for a bit of a bump around the back of the Nudgee dump the entire route is flat. The return ride via Sandgate would be around 40 kms and via Nudgee Beach would be much shorter.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.
Hamster

by BNA » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:20 am

BNA

Re: Brisbane Retro Ride 10 December

Postby uncle arthur » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:20 am

I'd love to but Toombul for 8am is at least a 40-60 minute pack-drive-unpack effort from the southern side of Acacia Ridge. And no way am I doing the 1-2 hour ride out to Toombul to have a 2 hour ride home.

I've suggested before, can we not do a group ride starting somewhere more central? :?:
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!
uncle arthur

Postby Hamster » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:28 pm

Hi Uncle Arthur,

Mine is only a suggestion to get the ball rolling. Should you have a better suggestion then please feel free to put it forward.

However, Brisbane is a geographically large city bisected by a river with abysmal infrastructure. If a central location cannot be decided upon then the solution might be to hold two rides one south side and one north side.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.
Hamster

Postby uncle arthur » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:14 pm

Hamster wrote:Hi Uncle Arthur,

Mine is only a suggestion to get the ball rolling. Should you have a better suggestion then please feel free to put it forward.

Don't get me wrong - it's a great suggestion. But somewhere central, with parking for those who might need it, just seems a more equitable idea. And if ppl intend to ride in to meet, then that might also be done from agreed sth/nth meeting spots.....
uncle arthur

Postby Magpie » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:33 pm

Sounds good to me ,flexible on the venue,but Toombul is OK
Magpie

Postby Le Velo » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:15 pm

Uncle Arthur, I actually did ride to toombul on Sunday from forest lake and took only about 1h or so (but that was doing 34k average to there so we were pushing) I'd say if you'd cruise it would only be 1:30h or so. We finished with 140km to woody point and was a great ride
Le Velo

Postby koen » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:35 pm

Don't want to upset anyone but I'd love to ride centrally and start a little earlier..7am?
It is a bit hard to organise by forum?? so it could be next time if not the tenth. Is the river ride loop too boring? People could ride or drive close to the CBD..not sure of parking on the southside but coming from the west its okay for me near milton road. Start meet somewhere like southside of Kurilpa bridge and ride coro drive, uni, indooroopilly, chelmer, tennyson round to west end or southbank for coffee. This also gives slow pokes/occasional cruisers the option of the green bridge shortcut at the uni.
Just an idea.
koen

Postby uncle arthur » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:19 pm

I think a retro river loop is a wonderful idea. Although I'm of the opinion there may be some dissent.
uncle arthur

Postby koen » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:32 am

Aaargh! I just realise after encouraging a change that I am actually out of town on the tenth :(
I was all excited 'cause I'll have to miss Noosa too and now I guess I'll have to wait until next year.
Hope all goes well with both days, as I am sure it will.
koen

Postby Magpie » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:16 pm

Any more developments for a time and place for the 10th?
Magpie

Postby Hamster » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:58 pm

Guys,

I'm not going to be able to do the ride. Strange as it might seem there are some things more important than taking one's steel stead out for a run.

However don't let this put anybody else off. Please either do the ride I suggested or else organize something different.
Hamster

Postby munga » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:28 pm

river loop with waders?
pitty43 wrote:Thanks all for your help. Better change my Gumtree add now.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/retroclassiccycling/
munga

Return to Queensland