Cycling in Banana Shire, Moura

Cycling in Banana Shire, Moura

Postby silkishuge » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:15 pm

Has anyone done some cycling around Moura, Queensland region?
Are there any nice routes and how safe is cycling in the region. There appears to only be the dawson highway to get from town to town.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jon
Jon's bikes.......
Reynolds 953 (warranty replacement, 7 months and waiting)
Kona Jake the Snake
Cervelo R3
Cervelo R5
silkishuge

by BNA » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:01 pm

BNA

Re: Cycling in Banana Shire, Moura

Postby elantra » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:01 pm

Apologies but I have never ridden a bicycle in Moura.
It is a long way from Brisbane.
But there is a road from Moura to Theodore which I have driven on several years ago and I remember thinking that it would be OK on a bicycle, certainly a lot better than the Dawson highway.
But some of this road was unsealed, however that was years ago and it might be sealed now.
Good luck.
Moura does looks like a nice town compared to some other places.
Theodore also looks nice, probably a bit better looking than Moura.
Steve.
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"
elantra

Postby silkishuge » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:08 pm

elantra wrote:Apologies but I have never ridden a bicycle in Moura.
It is a long way from Brisbane.
But there is a road from Moura to Theodore which I have driven on several years ago and I remember thinking that it would be OK on a bicycle, certainly a lot better than the Dawson highway.
But some of this road was unsealed, however that was years ago and it might be sealed now.
Good luck.
Moura does looks like a nice town compared to some other places.
Theodore also looks nice, probably a bit better looking than Moura.
Steve.

Thanks mate. I might have to spend a few days there because of work and I might take my bike with me.

Jon
Jon's bikes.......
Kona Jake the Snake
Cervelo R3
Cervelo R5
silkishuge

Postby koen » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:35 pm

Very hot this time of year.
Any of the main roads I would steer clear of these days as there are plenty of oversize loads and mining traffic. (Banana-Theodore, Moura-Theodore)
Moura I know less than Theodore but there would be nice (narrow,sometimes rough) side roads to ride down. I seem to remember a lot of birds to see last time I was driving out to a property there so could be pleasant. I'd take the bike and ask someone local about roads to ride down.
Nice folk
...actually you might not find any large trucks on the roads and busy is a relative term as the roads are quiet most of the time. But I remember being passed by oversized trucks and life seems to slow down while the wheels go past...not pleasant at all. I have more than once proved Murphy's Law for cyclists that when there is a long straight empty road two motor vehicles will meet just where you are. :cry:
koen

Postby silkishuge » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:20 pm

koen wrote:Very hot this time of year.
Any of the main roads I would steer clear of these days as there are plenty of oversize loads and mining traffic. (Banana-Theodore, Moura-Theodore)
Moura I know less than Theodore but there would be nice (narrow,sometimes rough) side roads to ride down. I seem to remember a lot of birds to see last time I was driving out to a property there so could be pleasant. I'd take the bike and ask someone local about roads to ride down.
Nice folk
...actually you might not find any large trucks on the roads and busy is a relative term as the roads are quiet most of the time. But I remember being passed by oversized trucks and life seems to slow down while the wheels go past...not pleasant at all. I have more than once proved Murphy's Law for cyclists that when there is a long straight empty road two motor vehicles will meet just where you are. :cry:

Thanks for the tip mate. I might bring the cyclocross bike instead which will give me more ride options. Anyway, it is only tentative at the moment. 50% chance of going at this stage.

Jon
Jon's bikes.......
Kona Jake the Snake
Cervelo R3
Cervelo R5
silkishuge

Return to Queensland