Beware this dangerous driver

Re: Beware this dangerous driver

Postby elantra » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:19 pm

PB12IN wrote:
briztoon wrote:Does anyone know what the tow bar mount is? I have seen similar mounts used for bike racks.

Its a load leveler for towing a large trailer such as a big caravan/float

No, I don't think it is a load-leveler.
I think it is the base plate for a bike carrier, the sort which can be folded down to allow the rear door of car to open.

OOPS - looks like I have been narrowly beaten in time to point this out by RobertFrith in the previous post :oops:
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"
User avatar
elantra
 
Posts: 1841
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:01 am
Location: Trying to avoid the Brisbane traffic.

by BNA » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:41 am

BNA
 

Re: Beware this dangerous driver

Postby master6 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:41 am

RobertFrith wrote:[ The mis-understanding of this issue alone is reason enough to justify mandatory periodic retesting for drivers' licences. Dog only knows how many other misconceptions drivers are labouring under


I'm not under any mis-understanding about the cyclists legal right to use the roadway(car lane). I was referring to the moral right. The OP simply stated that there was a bike lane, then came back and explained that it was not suitable in the circumstances, to which I replied with my indication that I understood. Happy :?:
master6
 
Posts: 2666
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: depends on who is asking, and why.

Re: Beware this dangerous driver

Postby simonn » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:50 am

Mulger bill wrote:Did she have a vacuous English accent?


Because dinky di Aussies are well known for their knowledge and respect of the road rules?
Image
User avatar
simonn
 
Posts: 3635
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:46 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Beware this dangerous driver

Postby heay » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:23 am

Sorry to hear about this dangerous rider, but what I can not understand is that we call for more cycling ways to be built so we feel more safe yet you decide not to use it when it is there to be used. If we do not use these things they will not build more for us.
heay
 
Posts: 294
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Beware this dangerous driver

Postby sumgy » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:01 am

heay wrote:Sorry to hear about this dangerous rider, but what I can not understand is that we call for more cycling ways to be built so we feel more safe yet you decide not to use it when it is there to be used. If we do not use these things they will not build more for us.


Sorry this is a miscommunication of what was available.
It is a footpath. There is a ramp and sign with a bike symbol on it.
I have checked with my police officer mates and I do not have to ride on the footpath.
The Go Between Bridges is a different thing and from what I understand there is signage directing all bikes to use the bikeway. In the case of the Go Between I always use the bikeway anyway.
Here is the sign and ramp:

Image

Here is what that gets you onto.

Image

As you can see there are 2 wide lanes in either direction on the road.
Traffic yesterday was no heavier than in the first picture.
This is just a case of a stupid motorist.
User avatar
sumgy
 
Posts: 1441
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:58 pm

Re: Beware this dangerous driver

Postby wizardhat » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:38 am

I've always been confused by that ramp, it leads up to a foot path and there are 3 sets of lights in quick succession after the bridge in the direction she went so it's not as if you could have been holding her up... Especially with another lane there for over taking. Having said that If there were more than one of you I would have taken the lane to stop her squeezing past.

I ride up past the barracks pretty often, so I'll keep an eye out for captain crazy (maybe even get some video footage once the new camera arrives!).

Edit: There's also not enough room for both a cyclist and a pedestrian once you get onto the bridge. Shared path my bum.
Image
User avatar
wizardhat
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:25 pm

Re: Beware this dangerous driver

Postby heanous » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:55 am

^^^ exactly. Never ridden on that pathway across the Grey St bridge...evah! Why would you when there is a perfectly good (albeit slightly narrow) dual laned road next to you???
heanous
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:12 pm
Location: balwyn

Re: Beware this dangerous driver

Postby London Boy » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:08 pm

sumgy wrote:Sadly my own wife (non cyclist) thought I had to use a bikepath if it was available.
When I told her that this was not the case she asked "well how would a motorist know that?".
I guess it is a somewhat fair question as when she got her license there was basically no such thing as bikepath's.

We are all obliged to know the law. A mistake of law (Criminal Code) or for non-code states, ignorance of the law, is no defence to a prosecution for breach. The implication of this is that we all must keep ourselves informed. That is how a motorist would know that...
User avatar
London Boy
 
Posts: 609
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:43 pm

Re: Beware this dangerous driver

Postby London Boy » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:16 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Not fun. Glad you made it.

Did she have a vacuous English accent?

Excuse me old chum. Just because you colonial chaps never quite got the hang of the Queens's English is no reason to be uppity about those who did. :D
User avatar
London Boy
 
Posts: 609
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:43 pm

Re: Beware this dangerous driver

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:55 pm

Are you saying no-one with an English accent can be vacuous? :lol: I might have to take some elocution lessons then :P
User avatar
trailgumby
 
Posts: 10365
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: Beware this dangerous driver

Postby elantra » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:25 pm

heanous wrote:^^^ exactly. Never ridden on that pathway across the Grey St bridge...evah! Why would you when there is a perfectly good (albeit slightly narrow) dual laned road next to you???

And remember the incident has occurred early on a public holiday morning.
Traffic conditions on the dual lane carriageway heading inbound would have been light to very light.
Perhaps almost as many bikes as motorists, and also a few pedestrians likely to be on the footpath.
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"
User avatar
elantra
 
Posts: 1841
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:01 am
Location: Trying to avoid the Brisbane traffic.

Re: Beware this dangerous driver

Postby queequeg » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:41 pm

sumgy wrote:Sorry this is a miscommunication of what was available.
It is a footpath. There is a ramp and sign with a bike symbol on it.
I have checked with my police officer mates and I do not have to ride on the footpath.
The Go Between Bridges is a different thing and from what I understand there is signage directing all bikes to use the bikeway. In the case of the Go Between I always use the bikeway anyway.
Here is the sign and ramp:

Image


I am a little confused by this photo. It shows a Bike Lane sign, but there is no Bike Lane present on the road beyond the sign. Under Rule 247(b), a Bicycle Lane can only be on the actual road, so the sign in the photo is actually saying that the left lane is in fact a nice wide Bicycle Lane :-) Why? Because under Rule 153 (4) A bicycle lane is a marked lane, or the part of a marked
lane—
(a) beginning at a bicycle lane sign applying to the lane; and
(b) ending at the nearest of the following—
(i) an end bicycle lane sign applying to the lane;
(ii) an intersection (unless the lane is at the unbroken
side of the continuing road at a T-intersection or
continued across the intersection by broken lines);
(iii) if the road ends at a dead end—the end of the road.

Since I don't see an end bicycle lane sign or an intersection, the assumption must be that the lane continues over the bridge, and you are therefore riding in the bicycle lane as required :-)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
User avatar
queequeg
 
Posts: 2928
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:09 am

Re: Beware this dangerous driver

Postby notwal » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:00 am

London Boy wrote:
sumgy wrote:Sadly my own wife (non cyclist) thought I had to use a bikepath if it was available.
When I told her that this was not the case she asked "well how would a motorist know that?".
I guess it is a somewhat fair question as when she got her license there was basically no such thing as bikepath's.

We are all obliged to know the law. A mistake of law (Criminal Code) or for non-code states, ignorance of the law, is no defence to a prosecution for breach. The implication of this is that we all must keep ourselves informed. That is how a motorist would know that...


As if THAT'S a reliable strategy :lol: . Another reason why we don't have a bill of rights? never mind.
judged, insulted, gone
User avatar
notwal
 
Posts: 1097
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:57 pm

Re: Beware this dangerous driver

Postby PB12IN » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:06 am

How any people here only know the rules because we are cyclists? are you aware that if a horse rider raises their hand then all motorists are required to turn off their cars? alot of people only know/remember rules that apply to or affect them.
PB12IN
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Gold Coast

Re: Beware this dangerous driver

Postby PawPaw » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:20 am

Gradually, Qld Transport are improving the learning aids on their website. I think license renewal should be on the basis of passing an online rules test, which includes rules relative to bikes, and buses and trucks (seeing so many car drivers don't give these a fair go).

The rules have been dumbed down significantly since I sat them in 1976, and it has to be acknowledged by govt BS motorist bike rage is first and foremost due to Road Rule ignorance.
User avatar
PawPaw
 
Posts: 1244
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:53 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Beware this dangerous driver

Postby wizardhat » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:45 pm

PB12IN wrote:are you aware that if a horse rider raises their hand then all motorists are required to turn off their cars?
Bit off topic, but what is the reason for this? My Google-fu is weak on this one.
Image
User avatar
wizardhat
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:25 pm

Re: Beware this dangerous driver

Postby PB12IN » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:57 pm

wizardhat wrote:
PB12IN wrote:are you aware that if a horse rider raises their hand then all motorists are required to turn off their cars?
Bit off topic, but what is the reason for this? My Google-fu is weak on this one.



simply an example that they are rules we know simply because they apply to us( ie cycling rules) my wife (a horse rider) infomed me of this as it applies to her.
We can't complain that people don't know the rules that apply to us if we don't know all the rules that apply to other people.
PB12IN
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Gold Coast

Re: Beware this dangerous driver

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:45 pm

London Boy wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:Not fun. Glad you made it.

Did she have a vacuous English accent?

Excuse me old chum. Just because you colonial chaps never quite got the hang of the Queens's English is no reason to be uppity about those who did. :D

Everything thats awrong wirth the World is Englands fault. It's on Wikipedia so it's a fact!
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
User avatar
The 2nd Womble
 
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Beware this dangerous driver

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:49 pm

OT again but again relating to Women, I think in NZ if a Woman is in control of a Motor Vehicle, a Man is required to walk in front of her waving a Red Flag. Maybe it IS OT. This woman could do with it.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
User avatar
The 2nd Womble
 
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Beware this dangerous driver

Postby InTheWoods » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:06 pm

queequeg wrote:
sumgy wrote:Sorry this is a miscommunication of what was available.
It is a footpath. There is a ramp and sign with a bike symbol on it.
I have checked with my police officer mates and I do not have to ride on the footpath.
The Go Between Bridges is a different thing and from what I understand there is signage directing all bikes to use the bikeway. In the case of the Go Between I always use the bikeway anyway.
Here is the sign and ramp:

Image


I am a little confused by this photo. It shows a Bike Lane sign, but there is no Bike Lane present on the road beyond the sign. Under Rule 247(b), a Bicycle Lane can only be on the actual road, so the sign in the photo is actually saying that the left lane is in fact a nice wide Bicycle Lane :-) Why? Because under Rule 153 (4) A bicycle lane is a marked lane, or the part of a marked
lane—
(a) beginning at a bicycle lane sign applying to the lane; and
(b) ending at the nearest of the following—
(i) an end bicycle lane sign applying to the lane;
(ii) an intersection (unless the lane is at the unbroken
side of the continuing road at a T-intersection or
continued across the intersection by broken lines);
(iii) if the road ends at a dead end—the end of the road.

Since I don't see an end bicycle lane sign or an intersection, the assumption must be that the lane continues over the bridge, and you are therefore riding in the bicycle lane as required :-)


I had a look at the google streetview too. The sign may be incorrectly used. I think its trying to indicate that the footpath is a bike path due to the ramp just beyond the sign. But it is saying its a bike lane, but it can't be a bike lane if its not a lane on the road. So I think you get a choice here as to whether to use the footpath or the road???? While it is compulsory to use a bike lane when available, I don't think that is a bike lane even though the sign says so. Might be a good one to officially question?
Image
User avatar
InTheWoods
 
Posts: 1467
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:34 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Beware this dangerous driver

Postby sumgy » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:09 pm

Copper cyclist mate of mine says I am good to use the road on that bridge.
User avatar
sumgy
 
Posts: 1441
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:58 pm

Re: Beware this dangerous driver

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:19 pm

Inwood wrote: So I think you get a choice here as to whether to use the footpath or the road???? While it is compulsory to use a bike lane when available, I don't think that is a bike lane even though the sign says so.


In the majority of instances cyclists are able to choose to ride either on the footpath or the road, either is legal (generally speaking). It is only compulsory to use a bike lane when it IS actually a bike lane (this one does not appear to be, just a randomly placed sign) and even then it is only 'if practicable'.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
User avatar
ldrcycles
 
Posts: 6795
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:19 pm
Location: Kin Kin, Queensland

Re: Beware this dangerous driver

Postby Comedian » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:20 pm

Thanks for the warning. Unfortunately looking for a silver Pajero is nearly like looking for a yellow cab there are so many of them out there. :o
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Image
User avatar
Comedian
 
Posts: 4412
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Beware this dangerous driver

Postby sumgy » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:00 pm

Comedian wrote:Thanks for the warning. Unfortunately looking for a silver Pajero is nearly like looking for a yellow cab there are so many of them out there. :o


But there is only one with the rego 393KRY. :D
User avatar
sumgy
 
Posts: 1441
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:58 pm

Re: Beware this dangerous driver

Postby Comedian » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:43 am

sumgy wrote:
Comedian wrote:Thanks for the warning. Unfortunately looking for a silver Pajero is nearly like looking for a yellow cab there are so many of them out there. :o


But there is only one with the rego 393KRY. :D


So now you want me to look over my shoulder and read the rego plates of cars that are about to buzz me. :o I have a mirror so can generally make out types and colours of cars but reading the rego is pushing it. :mrgreen:
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Image
User avatar
Comedian
 
Posts: 4412
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

PreviousNext

Return to Queensland

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit