Brisbane to Gold Coast ride

Dan

Re: Brisbane to Gold Coast ride

Postby Dan » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:48 am

jasonc wrote:thanks Wal - looking at averaging 30....so undecided at this stage
You could do that, but think of all the fun you'll have talking bollocks with us for four hours. Plus, we'll be on the lookout for dive bombing avian associates... ;)

munga

Postby munga » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:20 am

bonus points for cable ties and reflective vests

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:26 am

diggerdantheman wrote:
jasonc wrote:thanks Wal - looking at averaging 30....so undecided at this stage
You could do that, but think of all the fun you'll have talking bollocks with us for four hours. Plus, we'll be on the lookout for dive bombing avian associates... ;)
am seriously tempted. but I haven't busted my gut for the last month for a cruise....

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:35 am

clear weather and tail wind now predicted

so pack your sunscreen.

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:42 am

I was at the gym yesterday and saw a poster for this, sadly entries close today and being under 16 you need adult supervision while on the ride? bogus.
Jordan

Giant TCR Advanced SL1 2013

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:48 am

Jordan wrote:I was at the gym yesterday and saw a poster for this, sadly entries close today and being under 16 you need adult supervision while on the ride? bogus.
Yeah, liability is a b1tch.

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:02 pm

jasonc wrote:clear weather and tail wind now predicted

so pack your sunscreen.
+10 for the tailwind ! Might crack a 40kph average then !

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:24 pm

Le Velo wrote:

so pack your sunscreen.
doesn't help me...still looking for that 30km/h group

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:26 pm

jasonc wrote:
Le Velo wrote:

so pack your sunscreen.
doesn't help me...still looking for that 30km/h group
You'll be fine there will be plenty of people to latch on and you will most likely do 32kph+

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:38 pm

Le Velo wrote:You'll be fine there will be plenty of people to latch on and you will most likely do 32kph+
that may be possible, but it'd be nice to do it with a group of (or some) people i knew

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:23 pm

jasonc wrote:
Le Velo wrote:You'll be fine there will be plenty of people to latch on and you will most likely do 32kph+
that may be possible, but it'd be nice to do it with a group of (or some) people i knew
well the group wal, wazza, dan etc are in are 25-30kms anyway isn't it? i reackon we'll be on a good pace to get ahead of the pack for sure.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:25 pm

vaeske wrote:
jasonc wrote:
well the group wal, wazza, dan etc are in are 25-30kms anyway isn't it? i reackon we'll be on a good pace to get ahead of the pack for sure.
yeh. that is the way i was thinking. go with you guys til 80. if the pace is good, keep going. if i have more in the tank, attack.

a riding buddy is deciding at the moment, otherwise, that's the plan me thinks.

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:36 pm

jasonc wrote:
You most welcome to join me and a few others but we are aiming for a quick time and high speed down as we will be riding back also and don't want to be at it all day either. Otherwise there is a crew from the Shed Jindalee (I think you from round there? ) that is departing there around 4:15ish there abouts and they are a bit more sociable (I ride with them often when I need a recovery ride :D )

Even if you tackle on the back of a group you don't know just get in the groove and enjoy the ride

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:41 pm

Le Velo wrote:
jasonc wrote:
You most welcome to join me and a few others but we are aiming for a quick time and high speed down as we will be riding back also and don't want to be at it all day either. Otherwise there is a crew from the Shed Jindalee (I think you from round there? ) that is departing there around 4:15ish there abouts and they are a bit more sociable (I ride with them often when I need a recovery ride :D )

Even if you tackle on the back of a group you don't know just get in the groove and enjoy the ride
yes i am from around jindalee/centenary suburbs. it'll be fine on the day, i hope.

not looking forward to the early start - will have to get up around 4 i think. :(

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:02 pm

[/quote] not looking forward to the early start - will have to get up around 4 i think. :([/quote]

I'm in forest lake .... up at 3:30am then out the door by 4am for a gentle roll to the city and crawl our way as far to the front as possible. 20 ks there ....100 down and 80 back ..... Should be good day in the saddle

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:51 pm

5:15 start so will try and be there at 5. Given its about 45 minutes with meetups along the way so a 3:45 alarm for me. :(

What is the best way to helensvale station after the ride? Straight down the gold coast highway?

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:05 pm

I've done up the return route for those interested: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/142454967/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:25 pm

jasonc [i]et al.[/i] wrote: You'll be fine there will be plenty of people to latch on and you will most likely do 32kph+

yeh. that is the way i was thinking. go with you guys til 80. if the pace is good, keep going. if i have more in the tank, attack.

a riding buddy is deciding at the moment, otherwise, that's the plan me thinks.

As long as Wal remembers not to surge and doesn't ruin anyone's strava segment, i'd say we'll be up around 28km/h anyway. Since I know so much about this kind of thing.... o_O

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:56 pm

diggerdantheman wrote: As long as Wal remembers not to surge and doesn't ruin anyone's strava segment, i'd say we'll be up around 28km/h anyway. Since I know so much about this kind of thing.... o_O

Wal's middle name IS Serge, but how did you know that??????????

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:36 pm

Comedian wrote:5:15 start so will try and be there at 5. Given its about 45 minutes with meetups along the way so a 3:45 alarm for me. :(

What is the best way to helensvale station after the ride? Straight down the gold coast highway?
Think that's bad. I'm riding from Caboolture to the start. I'll be getting up at 0200!!!

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:45 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
Comedian wrote:5:15 start so will try and be there at 5. Given its about 45 minutes with meetups along the way so a 3:45 alarm for me. :(

Think that's bad. I'm riding from Caboolture to the start. I'll be getting up at 0200!!!
That's mad!

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:03 pm

so pack your sunscreen.
I saw that too, cool.

I'll be up über early to ride into the start from 8MP, in along Logan Rd.
Lisa

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:10 pm

diggerdantheman wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:

That's mad!
It's got to be done. I'm doing the Fitz Extreme in 3 weeks and I haven't done nearly enough.

dclnmurray

Postby dclnmurray » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:49 pm

There is a bunch of us starting out from 8MP to head into the city. Be at Bellas Fruit Shop (Cnr Warrigal and Padstow Roads) at 4:15am.
Doing the double this year (there and back) so wont be going for my 36.7kph avg I did last year ;) Does look like a nice tailwind though.

ciao

Dave

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:59 am

Serviced the bike last night.
Degreased then lubed the chain.
Tweaked the front and rear derailleurs... Super Record shifting is like butter now.
Slow roll in this morning to my meet up spot in Southbank... Timing works out fine. Will be rolling in from MtG from 4.30am
Will give the frame a little wipe down tonight or tomorrow and put the event bib on.

Still un-decided on how I'll ride. Probably look at maintaining 30+ till about Coomera and pick up the speed for a fast finish if a bunch will go with. Would like to crack 3hrs, but more likely 3.20 or so.