Brisbane to Gold Coast ride

Comedian

Re: Brisbane to Gold Coast ride

Postby Comedian » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:52 am

Well my day was all good. I got woken up early by the daylight savings confused iphone too. :mrgreen: Still.. at least I managed to salvage lateness from that situation! We got there at 5:!5 just as everyone else was heading off. Took us a while to work out where to be too but we managed to get away all good.

I rode with a mate and his 9yo daughter (both riding my tandem). We steamed along pretty well I thought. :) We stopped at all the stops and generally pedalled along under our own steam the whole way. Generally I was doing it very easy but my mate was working to punch the tandem along. :) In the last 20k we'd had enough so I teamed up with some other random and dragged him and about 20 others home in the low 40's so that was fun. :mrgreen:

I think the dust up was 3:03 or 32.7 or something average. That was just over twenty minutes longer than last year but still we had fun.

However... it all went bad from then! We went into that posh street nearby and bought breakfast with mates. It took them like an hour to do some tiny meals. So by then it was like 11:15 by the time we headed to the station. We got on the 12:03 at helensvale that was late. It stopped and so on... we got off at Bowen hills and did the last 10k home for 140k all up for the day. I think I got home at just before 3.

Next year I intend to have one last smashfest before my boy wants to do these events on the tandem with me. :) Also, the wife has volunteered to pick me up which should give me time for a nap at home before lunch. :shock:

Must remember to take the race number off before I ride to work in about 20 minutes.

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:03 am

After noticing a random 21 minute section for 600m in the middle of mine, it actually comes down to about 3:10 - consistent with Wal/vaeske/wazza - good show guys!

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:04 am

jasonc wrote:
clydesmcdale wrote:Best part is, the guys that dropped me must have had GPS problems and registered a 3.03 for the ride.
or did they have a stop at 80kms to refuel???
Ahh... yes right you are. Looks as though they were only a minute or so in front coming into the 80k stop. We had talked about not stopping, looks like they couldn’t keep the pace with the pressure I was applying (so I like to tell myself... and them this morning). Less their stop time, looks like I finished about 2 minutes ahead of them. I wondered why I couldn’t find them for the 20 minutes after I finished.

Legs are fine this morning, feel better than a week’s worth of commuting. Have a bit of a lung strain though, so didn’t commute.

Hammo

Postby Hammo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:20 am

Did anyone have the Hammer sports drink at the 80km stop?

That stuff tasted like dishwasher liquid!!

All in all a good ride!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:47 am

Hammo wrote:Did anyone have the Hammer sports drink at the 80km stop?

All in all a good ride!
I stopped at the 80. ran into a guy i commute with regularly and he warned me off the stuff

sounds like i was lucky

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:56 am

Hammo wrote:Did anyone have the Hammer sports drink at the 80km stop?

All in all a good ride!
I had a swig before I filled my water bottle. Quickly made a bolt for the water tank before everyone else did the same :P

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:05 pm

Seriously impressed by you lot - even with the tailwind I cannot imagine riding that far that fast - except maybe down a big hill!!!

In awe - glad that I only get advice from the best ...... my congratulations to you all...aiming for steady improvements and will be inspired (daunted by trying to catch up) one day.....maybe

well done all

fiona

hosko

Postby hosko » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:25 pm

Was very happy with my time this year esp since this is the first year I have only stopped at the traffic lights when I had to, and 2 water bottles for the entry ride down (trust me, I was well hydrated before I started!)

Moving time on Strava - 3:08:15
Elapsed time on Strava - 3:10:34

WOOHOO!!

Less than 2 mins stoppage time. Very happy with that. Also knocked over 15 mins off last years journey which did include a stop at the 80km mark (yep made that water mistake last year!)

Then road back in that b@stard of a head wind to Coomera station to pick up the car. That 26km was worse than the entire journey down the coast!

Few tandems and a mango were out on course also. Saw some of them. Also on the roundabout in Logan survive a guy falling directly in front of me.

Was the day of crashes though. One guy hit a bollard behind a few of my friends who were riding. Apparently he lined it up pretty well. Saw the guy fall in front of me, right next to a cop so he was going to get looked after ok, and two more on the trip back to the station. One on hope island round-a-bout (think he had done a wrist) and another lady near the Riveria boat builders. First aid was with her and her arm was in a sling!
2013 Malvern Star Oppy Di2

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:27 pm

Comedian wrote: I rode with a mate and his 9yo daughter (both riding my tandem). We steamed along pretty well I thought. :) We stopped at all the stops and generally pedalled along under our own steam the whole way. .

You guys passed me around the Loganholme area just before going under the Pac Highway, your friends girls looked like she was doing ok....

Glad that we didn't do the train back, sounds like a PR disaster for QR!
We rode back up to Paradise Point showered, changed and tucked into a great feed at the shops there....that head wind was nasty, even Mr MM wasn't interested in riding back in it and he's usually up for crazy epic rides like that :roll:
Lisa

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:05 pm

fionahills wrote:Seriously impressed by you lot - even with the tailwind I cannot imagine riding that far that fast - except maybe down a big hill!!!

In awe - glad that I only get advice from the best ...... my congratulations to you all...aiming for steady improvements and will be inspired (daunted by trying to catch up) one day.....maybe

well done all

fiona
Never say never Fiona, my first ever 100k ride was out at Ipswich, I averaged a Blistering 20.5 k's for that ride...this year it was 24.5....
Last year for the B2GC ride I averaged 23.5 this year it was 31.5.

If you keep riding and working at becoming a better rider you will find that your times will improve too.
Congratulations 8)
Lisa

steveo

Postby steveo » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:54 am

My first Brisbane to Gold Coast. I have been riding for 9 months. Did the ride in 3 hours & 14 seconds, average speed 33.4 Kmh. Reasonably happy with the result.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:55 am

A quick video I made from the footage captured from the ride.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:26 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:50996230

Nice ride - nice vid too !!!

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:52 am

Hey Luke, nice vid. Was that a go pro? and how did you have it mounted/dampened?

kiwi73

Postby kiwi73 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:10 am

My first time doing the B2GC ride and only my 2nd organised event.
I didn't stop at any of the drink stations.
Did it in 2h46m, I was hoping for anything between 3h00m to 3h30m.
Was super pleased to get a quicker time.
My average pace was 36.5km/h, fastest I have ever been. :-)

The whole day was just awesome and I can't wait for next year.
I rode on my Aluminium De Rosa Team, but next year I will have a Carbon De Rosa Merak. :-D

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:53 pm

Yep. Both cameras were GoPros. The newer GoPro Hero 2 was mounted on a K-edge Go Big Pro handelbar mount on the handlebars as the front facing camera. No tape or rubber cut offs between the mount and handlebars.

The older GoPro Hero 1 was mounted on the back under the seat with a k-edge Go Big Pro Sadle rail mount. No tape or rubber on the mounts.

And here is a link to their website and available mounts - http://www.acecosportgroup.com/shop/k-e ... mount.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

osrg

Postby osrg » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:03 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:50996230

Fantastic clip mate... even got some footage of me from 1.34-1.37!

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:16 pm

and here's my vid from the ride:

http://youtu.be/z0BZl2O1Nxs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check out my run down the busway from about 8:30 onwards. Good fun :-)

neoppg

Postby neoppg » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:30 pm

We were lucky.... Decided to ride to Robina to catch the train back to Brisbane before everyone got on at parklands... Disappointed to hear the news of the train outage ..... But Queensland Rail came through with the goods. Put us in a maxi cab back to our door in Brisbane.... "Thank You Very Much QR"

Thanks to all the Neo Pizza team on the day.... Great to see the kits out there again. We had fast, slow, and an unfortunate accident by one in our team that ended at Logan Hospital.

Anthony

Dan

Postby Dan » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:05 am

neoppg wrote:"Thank You Very Much QR"
QR should've given the poor girl who endured a carriage full of smelly, farting cyclists for two hours a free ride.
Or better still, a free pizza!

Hope your friend has healed now?

hosko

Postby hosko » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:04 pm

neoppg wrote:We had fast, slow, and an unfortunate accident by one in our team that ended at Logan Hospital.

Anthony
He wasn't the one that hit the bollard was he? I came through a few minutes after a few guys collected each other after one took out a bollard... looked quite nasty.
2013 Malvern Star Oppy Di2

neoppg

Postby neoppg » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:50 am

Probably was... Frame broken in 3 spots. I didn't hear about it till the end but have spoken to him and he is fine.. Lucky!

neoppg

Postby neoppg » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:52 am

diggerdantheman wrote:
neoppg wrote:"Thank You Very Much QR"
QR should've given the poor girl who endured a carriage full of smelly, farting cyclists for two hours a free ride.
Or better still, a free pizza!

Hope your friend has healed now?
If anyone know this girl ..... She gets a free pizza !!! LOL