Cairns, worth taking the bikes?

Cairns, worth taking the bikes?

Postby PA » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:41 pm

Flying to Cairns in late May and I am unsure if taking the bikes from Adelaide is worth the trouble for one week.

Looking for rides from 30 km to 80 km round trip. My wife prefers to ride for a purpose rather than just to ride. Any ideas on potential rides?
In the morning, we RIDE.
PA

by BNA » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:37 pm

BNA

Re: Cairns, worth taking the bikes?

Postby Ken Ho » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:37 pm

I have done a little riding around Cairns, but I'm no expert. My first 50 km ride was from the marina to Palm Cove and back. Dead flat, and very nice, with nice cafes at Palm Cove. Next time I would keep going to Port Douglas.
The ride up or down the Gillies to Atherton would be great, I think. I'm hoping to do a loop right around the Tableland.
There is lots of good MTB too. I went with Dan the MTB Man, who was active in the local club during the World Cup event time, and is very knowledgable. The old WC area near the Uni is pretty cool.
Lots of good riding really.
You have officially become your parents.
Ken Ho

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:54 pm

If, like me, you like to get out once or twice every day, do errands on it and some sightseeing then, imo, yes! Ditto if you find that a few days without makes you miss it.

I did exactly that in Mauritius recently and it made the difference in how much i enjoyed the experience and how much time I sat around doing sudoku or reading foreign language newspapers. I got to talk to a lot more people and make more casual friends too. I wouls have loved to to have stayed another week or two while everyone else was keen to go home

Obviously cost and security is an issue but from now on any time I fly away for a week of more it is going with me.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby D0rifto » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:05 am

Just so you know, the Cairns Challenge (not Ironman) is on the weekend of 3 June so depending how late in May you mean might be something to consider.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
D0rifto

Postby PA » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:58 pm

The daughter is doing the ride at Port Douglas on the first weekend and her husband is doing the Ironman the following weekend.
In the morning, we RIDE.
PA

Postby boyracer » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:37 pm

Yes, do it.
Lived there for 5 years...
May = good weather starting.

Suggested rides:

Josephine falls & return
Kurranda climb outta Smithfield for market day.
Copperlode dam for a quick climb before dinner.
Freshwater loop for flat TT stylee.
Black mountain road from Kurranda to PD and return for 150 + on rolling CX roads...this one!

I'm going for a wedding in August. Bike is def' coming!
Now if you were taking the MTB....
boyracer

Postby coffeeandwine » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:09 pm

Wife trying to convince me to take a week in port Douglas in May. Any suggestions for rides from there?

What are road shoulders and traffic like? (went to Byron Bay for wedding a couple of years back and could really only ride on the highway which was a bit narrow).

cheers
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine
coffeeandwine

Postby jacks1071 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:11 am

PA wrote:Flying to Cairns in late May and I am unsure if taking the bikes from Adelaide is worth the trouble for one week.

Looking for rides from 30 km to 80 km round trip. My wife prefers to ride for a purpose rather than just to ride. Any ideas on potential rides?

Cairns is a great place to ride, there is an endless amount of rides around there. I'm doing a stage race there on June 9th - 11th, its up in the Atherton Tablelands just west of Cairns. If your dates are flexible you'd be welcome to come and visit us up there!
Our Website is: http://www.pro-liteoz.com Find us on Facebook by searching for "Pro-Lite Australia"
jacks1071

Return to Queensland