USQ Ride the Range 2012

KonaCommuter

USQ Ride the Range 2012

Postby KonaCommuter » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:11 pm

Just signed up for the USQ Ride the Range this May. http://www.ridetherange.org.au/default

I selected the 100km ride which should give me something to aim for seeing as my longest ride to date is 45km :shock: The ride up the range is going to be hugely challenging as well as it’s tough enough doing it my car :lol:

So who else is doing this ride?
2012 Oppy A4

PB12IN

Re: USQ Ride the Range 2012

Postby PB12IN » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:17 pm

you know i'm not sure i'm quite that insane. :D

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:17 pm

I entered about a month ago :) . Did it last year and my chain snapped about the 70odd k mark, cobbled it together but by the time it was fixed my legs had cooled off and cramped up, i had to walk virtually the whole way up the range. Was still a spectacularly beautiful morning though (even with my car thermometer reading 3 degrees at the start!!).
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:45 pm

good on you KC. I'm still thinking about it. I rode up the range 20+ years ago when I was a teenager and it was a tough slog then. 30+ kgs later, I reckon I would be no chance. My brother (skinny runt) is doing it. I'll see how I go after the Ipswich 100...
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

PB12IN

Postby PB12IN » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:59 pm

Well yes I apparently I am that insane. I'm thinking about it. I don't do much hill work, but I might give it a go.
Last edited by PB12IN on Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moreegolfer

Postby moreegolfer » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:16 pm

I did the 100km last year and will probably attack it again this year. I did walk it for two short sections before regaining enough composure to hop back on a pedal again. Just don't do what I did and follow 2 riders ahead of me and miss the last left turn before the finish which takes you downhill. I was swearing black and blue when I realised we had to turnaround and trudge back up to the turn we missed, and it was steep :evil: . My brain was just not there by the end.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:21 pm

moreegolfer, i was one of those riders! Very annoying moment that one. That was my only gripe with the event last year was the signage was just barely adequate.

moreegolfer

USQ Ride the Range 2012

Postby moreegolfer » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:20 am

Well there you go ldr. I realised as soon as we went past but thought id better shout out to you guys ahead. I am going along to the launch and will mention about the signage although I won't make that error twice.

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:51 am

moreegolfer wrote:Well there you go ldr. I realised as soon as we went past but thought id better shout out to you guys ahead. I am going along to the launch and will mention about the signage although I won't make that error twice.

That’ll be appreciated :D
2012 Oppy A4

ozzymac

USQ Ride the Range 2012

Postby ozzymac » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:40 am

moreegolfer wrote:Well there you go ldr. I realised as soon as we went past but thought id better shout out to you guys ahead. I am going along to the launch and will mention about the signage although I won't make that error twice.
Hi,
If the launch is soon you might want to mention that there website needs fixing.
There are numerous links going to old pages from last year, and one is from clicking on the REGISTER NOW link on the top of the page, that goes to a page that says online registrations closed.

I contacted them the other day and they emailed me back saying they would get right onto it, but so far it's still the same.

Was thinking of entering, just not sure about the range part, haha. Is it as hard as it sounds?

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

PB12IN

Postby PB12IN » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:34 pm

ozzymac wrote:
Hi,
If the launch is soon you might want to mention that there website needs fixing.
There are numerous links going to old pages from last year, and one is from clicking on the REGISTER NOW link on the top of the page, that goes to a page that says online registrations closed.

I contacted them the other day and they emailed me back saying they would get right onto it, but so far it's still the same.

Was thinking of entering, just not sure about the range part, haha. Is it as hard as it sounds?

Cheers

let me put it this way, whilst flagstone creek road is a hell of a climb and is very windy, it is the lowest angle of the three main roads up the front of the range.

ozzymac

USQ Ride the Range 2012

Postby ozzymac » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:49 pm

PB12IN wrote:
ozzymac wrote:
Hi,

Cheers

let me put it this way, whilst flagstone creek road is a hell of a climb and is very windy, it is the lowest angle of the three main roads up the front of the range.
Ok, so if I knew what flagstone creek rd was like , it would give me some idea what the rest of the range is right. :-)

Maybe I should of paid more attention when I drive through Toowoomba next time.

Cheers

PB12IN

Postby PB12IN » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:02 pm

I'm guessing you go up the warrego highway, so flagstone is longer but not as steep.

dobby

Postby dobby » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:38 pm

The "ride" up the range is not up the Highway - that is a simple climb when compared to the Flagstone Ck climb, the Warrego Highway range climb it is just a steady find your rhythym climb and plug away for 20 mins or so.

The Flagstone Ck climb is on a crappy narrow road, and there is a WALL at the base of the climb where it goes to 20% for about a few hundred meters - it is cruel at that section then flattens out. The climb is then ok for quite some time and then it goes steep again, but not to 20% (maybe 15%). I am a local and don't like the road, don't like the climb (and don't like how the road is narrow and cars come pretty close to you). I'm working that day, so I won't be riding in the event this year (I did it last year) - but to be honest it isn't an "enjoyable" climb - mainly because the road is poor, narrow and not 100% safe for an event of this type with the amount of riders participating (in my opinion),

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:33 pm

In terms of safety i was more concerned with the descent, especially with the very poor surface last year, and trying to feel the brakes at 3 degrees. I'd much rather be on Flagstone Ck than on the highway, and while i had to walk the wall, once over that i enjoyed the rest of the climb.

ozzymac

USQ Ride the Range 2012

Postby ozzymac » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:23 pm

dobby wrote:The "ride" up the range is not up the Highway - that is a simple climb when compared to the Flagstone Ck climb, the Warrego Highway range climb it is just a steady find your rhythym climb and plug away for 20 mins or so.

The Flagstone Ck climb is on a crappy narrow road, and there is a WALL at the base of the climb where it goes to 20% for about a few hundred meters - it is cruel at that section then flattens out. The climb is then ok for quite some time and then it goes steep again, but not to 20% (maybe 15%). I am a local and don't like the road, don't like the climb (and don't like how the road is narrow and cars come pretty close to you). I'm working that day, so I won't be riding in the event this year (I did it last year) - but to be honest it isn't an "enjoyable" climb - mainly because the road is poor, narrow and not 100% safe for an event of this type with the amount of riders participating (in my opinion),

I have a couple of bits of road around here that have short steep bits in them.

If flagstone creek road is that bad why don't they close it to traffic for a few hours.
Seems unusual to allow a ride to be run over dangerous roads.

Cheers

notwal

Postby notwal » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:34 pm

I did it last year and the climb was not quite so difficult as I expected. I think the gradients Dobby quotes are a bit too high although it's hard to know.
The ride seemed to me very much like the back of Mt Coot-tha but 3 times longer. It is a bit steeper in places but not outrageously so. It's harder than Mt Nebo Rd but not as hard as Mt Glorious Rd.
judged, insulted, gone

MDL

Postby MDL » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:43 am

Came 4 or 5h in the KoM last year so i wouldn't mind giving it another go but just changed job's so i don't know how i'm going to go.

MDL

fras

Postby fras » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:56 pm

Just to settle the argument... I went up there about a fortnight ago.

The street sign is marked (for trucks) at 21% gradient :P

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Sun May 20, 2012 10:46 pm

Awesome ride although I sooked out and changed to the 60km route at the 11th hour. Full write up to come

2012 Oppy A4

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Mon May 21, 2012 11:22 am

Did you make it up that hill KonaCommuter? :shock:

I couldn't go as we had stuff to do in Brisbane yesterday, but my brother (the skinny bugger) did the 100km at almost 29km/h avg. I can barely manage that pace on the flat.... :oops:
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon May 21, 2012 8:46 pm

I had a great ride, very glad it was a little warmer than last year!

The free arm warmers this year were a very nice touch (though i was prepared and wearing long sleeves and bib longs, so i gave my arm warmers to my gf to keep warm while she waited for me :) ). Pity the moto cops felt like a sleep-in and got there late so it was maybe a bit warmer at the end of the ride than it would have been otherwise. But no biggy.

I was pretty nervous about the descent, especially after my bad crash late last year so i was going to take it fairly steady (no more than ohh 80kmh :) ) but something really weird happened with my rear brake, making a buzzing sound and feel that got worse and worse, and by halfway down i could also smell a nasty burning smell. I was terrified but didn't think i could safely come to a complete stop (and i didn't want to lose touch with the lead group of course :twisted: ) so i carried on as best i could and got down safely. I checked over everything later and i have NO idea why it did that, the pads are fine and lined up, no issues with the rims :?: .

Once into the valley the group went very hard, the first 20k averaged over 43.6kmh, i dropped back after a while, got back on, and then was dropped going over the first big climb. By about the 37k mark i realised i couldn't get back to them and eased off a little, by the time i got into Gatton i was feeling good again and went straight through. I got caught just before the 2nd rest stop by a couple of blokes who had been in the first group (is Mapei jersey guy on here by any chance?) stopped there for a lamington and a chinwag. I was ready to go again and waiting for the other 5 blokes there when a group of 12 came along, i decided to hop on the bike and take off with them, worked out well as their pace was just about right for me and stuck with them till the bottom of flagstone creek. I decided then they were taking it too easy and took off from the front (with 39-27 gearing i knew i would be seriously struggling higher up the climb so thought i should make some time while i could), i got over the first wall ok but the rest of the climb was very hard and i had to hop off halfway up for a stretch. If i had my 11-32 MTB cassette on it would have been much smoother going but i changed it for 12-27 and a road derailleur for the Noosa Century and hadn't bothered to change back. Still did better than last year when i walked the entire length of the wall.

Finished the 100k in 3:35 or just over 28kmh average. Very tough ride but the gorgeous scenery makes up for it. Just have to get better at climbing for next year.

EDIT: oh and i was wearing black red and white Nalini gear and on a blue and black Scott if anyone saw me.

moreegolfer

Postby moreegolfer » Mon May 21, 2012 9:04 pm

Good stuff all those who took part. I was otherwise committed later in the morning so rode out to Oakey instead. Certainly the weather was a picture for riding as well.

dobby

Postby dobby » Wed May 23, 2012 8:04 pm

I am a local and didn't do the ride - I was struck down with a stomach virus and am just getting better now.

A guy I know came off on the descent due to a flat and as a result loss of control at speed - broke 12 bones including 8 ribs - the descent down Blanchview can be dangerous.

PS: thats a great clip from the poster above.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed May 23, 2012 10:14 pm

Oh geez i had heard there was one crash but had no idea it was that bad, the poor bloke, hope he recovers well.

The 'times' are jolly disappointing, no bottom time for me (although i called out my number as i went past, and moved away from other riders to make it easier) so i can't really work out what i did. Should have remembered to time myself.