Quirk promises more bikeways

beauyboy

Re: Quirk promises more bikeways

Postby beauyboy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:44 pm

Some of the estimated costs have always sounded very strange to me but alot of the time extra works in the area are included in the budgeted costings. That said underpasses are something that should always be promoted as lets face it nothing kills your mood to ride to work quicker then sitting at a set of lights, when you could of flown through on an underpass (eg Norman Creek at stones corner).

The CBD BUG is currently seeing if we can have a council spokesperson turn up to give us a rundown on what is happeing this year.

What I find disappointing in that blurb is the fact the Lord Mayor and the counciller are both doing what council says they are not meant to do by walking dead in the middle and blocking the path. Not very good sharing skills or leadership!

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

wizardhat

Postby wizardhat » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:07 pm

elantra wrote:It amazes me that this has not been given a higher priority, UQ prides itself about being a world-class University but the transport options to its Campus are not as good as they should be.
I am surprized that the UQ powerbrokers have not seen fit to discuss this matter a bit more convincingly with BCC :wink:
I really hate the section between the end of Corro drive and UQ, but as I recall the UQ bigwigs loathe cyclists riding along Sir William Macgregor drive or anywhere through the university at all as the campus is private property. Having said that it's tolerated (but not encouraged) as it's an 'open' campus. Can't see them spending money on something that isn't their core business and they feel can make the campus more dangerous for their students and staff.

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:30 pm

wizardhat wrote:
elantra wrote:It amazes me that this has not been given a higher priority, UQ prides itself about being a world-class University but the transport options to its Campus are not as good as they should be.
I am surprized that the UQ powerbrokers have not seen fit to discuss this matter a bit more convincingly with BCC :wink:
I really hate the section between the end of Corro drive and UQ, but as I recall the UQ bigwigs loathe cyclists riding along Sir William Macgregor drive or anywhere through the university at all as the campus is private property. Having said that it's tolerated (but not encouraged) as it's an 'open' campus. Can't see them spending money on something that isn't their core business and they feel can make the campus more dangerous for their students and staff.
I beg to differ in the sense that surely better cycling infrastructure between Regatta Hotel end of Coro drive and UQ might encourage more of those virile young uni students to experience cycling instead of their stinkbox cars.
The current bicycle route is a disgrace.

I agree though that there is not much point in upgrading Sir William MacGregor drive for Cyclists.
It is really only an internal uni road and is best left for parking cars and walking the dog :wink:

It is rarely used by cycle commuters but is quite popular for training and bunches, usually on the weekends when there is less uni traffic.
But it has lots of speed humps and i could write a PhD on how many times i have been over them.
These days if i am out on a Sunday morning riverloop i avoid that part of it.
Plenty of better ways to get from Toowong to St Lucia Golf Cafe !

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:26 pm

wizardhat wrote:
went through the uni this morning. you should see the amount of tradies parked along there. car v pedestrian against bike v pedestrian.....

wizardhat

Postby wizardhat » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:20 pm

elantra wrote:
wizardhat wrote:
I beg to differ in the sense that surely better cycling infrastructure between Regatta Hotel end of Coro drive and UQ might encourage more of those virile young uni students to experience cycling instead of their stinkbox cars.
The current bicycle route is a disgrace.
You're right, my mistake. Thinking about that part of the river loop makes me think of UQ and its SWM drive :(.