Brisbane bike paths

Brisbane bike paths

Postby Bluebaggers » Wed May 09, 2012 9:03 pm

Good evening I am new to this website and Brisbane, I would like to know if I can ride from Ferny Grove to Ipswich on bike paths?
I have driven past a couple of pathways on near Jindalee but then I do not know where I can go from there.

Thanks and safe riding,
Jason
Bluebaggers

by BNA » Wed May 09, 2012 9:20 pm

BNA

Brisbane bike paths

Postby Max » Wed May 09, 2012 9:20 pm

Pretty much. Join the Kedron Brook path at Brookside, and follow it through to the Grange. Join the road and ride through Wilston via Kedron Brook Rd. Go down Noble st, cross the bridge and follow the road to Herston. From there join the footpath at the golf club and follow the bike path into town. Get onto the bicentennial path/coronation drive path. Turn off to the western suburbs onto Sylvan rd, then join the western motorway bike path.

I know that's a super-simple explanation. Bikely.com is a good reference for finding routes. Hopefully this gives you a starting point.

Max

----------
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. All typos are Auto-Correct's fault, not mine ;)
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy
Max

Re: Brisbane bike paths

Postby elantra » Thu May 10, 2012 2:17 pm

As Max has stated there is quite a network of bikeways and theoretically you could ride from Alderley to Ipswich mostly on bikepaths

BUT at various points you will have to cross busy roads :cry:
also some of the Bikeways are good - some not good at all.

The bikeway beside the Western Freeway is relatively good but there are still some busy roads to be crossed and the descent onto the Jindalee bridge is a worry.
You might get a bit lost after that
A problem is that the bikepaths are relatively disjointed and you will struggle to link them up. Directions are sometimes lacking.

But it is worth a go, be prepared to make a few wrong turns and be prepared to catch the train home !
there are some good new bikepaths between Goodna and Riverview (Ipswich) which are due to officially open soon, possibly they are already open.

Hope that helps,
Steve
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"
elantra

Brisbane bike paths

Postby RonK » Thu May 10, 2012 3:48 pm

You can download maps or get a booklet of bike path maps from BCC.
There is also a useful smartphone app available from ridethecity.com.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Brisbane bike paths

Postby Max » Thu May 10, 2012 6:26 pm

It occurs to me that the Brisbane to Ipswich ride is on in a week or two. Perhaps you could join it. That way you get to do the city to Ipswich leg of the ride (which IMO is the more complicated part) with marshals directing you.

Max

----------
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. All typos are Auto-Correct's fault, not mine ;)
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy
Max

Postby bprb » Thu May 10, 2012 9:37 pm

The Brisbane to Ipswich ride ( http://www.brisbane2ipswich.com.au ) isn't a bad idea, but keep in mind it's going via Springfield this year, which adds about 20 km to the length, and I believe the last two thirds of the ride (after Richlands) is on road, not on dedicated bike paths. But they're pretty good roads I think.

I haven't looked lately, but I think there has been some work done toward extending bike paths along the general vicinity of the Ipswich Motorway, and if so that will make it viable as a regular commute.
bprb

Postby Bluebaggers » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:37 pm

Max wrote:Pretty much. Join the Kedron Brook path at Brookside, and follow it through to the Grange. Join the road and ride through Wilston via Kedron Brook Rd. Go down Noble st, cross the bridge and follow the road to Herston. From there join the footpath at the golf club and follow the bike path into town. Get onto the bicentennial path/coronation drive path. Turn off to the western suburbs onto Sylvan rd, then join the western motorway bike path.

I know that's a super-simple explanation. Bikely.com is a good reference for finding routes. Hopefully this gives you a starting point.

Max

----------

Thanks Max,
I will have a look at that path and not being a Brisbane person I will undoubtedly take a wrong turn once or twice.

Jason
Bluebaggers

Postby Bluebaggers » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:50 pm

Thanks all for the help on giving me assistance on the bike paths very much appreciated.

Safe cycling.
Bluebaggers

Return to Queensland