Retro Riverloop Raturdays :D

Wal42

Re: Retro Riverloop Raturdays :D

Postby Wal42 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:36 pm

Shpox wrote:Can't make it tomorrow but was hoping to join you guys for a ride soon as soon as the rest of my kit arrives. I haven't had a chance to build something retro being one of those poor students, but I've been looking to build something from steel very soon.

Haven't had a chance to do a river loop before, but am hoping me and my alu roady would be welcome. :mrgreen:

Despite what everybody says & thinks about me, of course you are.

Obviously people don't understand my sense of humour so in future I'll just keep to myself.

Nobody has EVER been unwelcome, retro, brifters or modern carbon, but I guess some people get the impression that there's some hate going around in the little group, if you're looking for a relaxed, no attitudes, a bit of a chat & a relaxed pace then Raturday is the place, if you're after a rapid group ride then you'll be sadly disappointed.

My final statement on it.

Shpox

Postby Shpox » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:47 pm

Sounds good, ha. Wasn't sure if anything had changed inside the 46 accumulated pages of glory.

Do you tend to park somewhere in West End? I live reasonably far out on the side so I'm not sure where the best place might necessarily be to park safely along Montague.

munga

Postby munga » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:58 pm

park on browning street, near the melbourne hotel.
at that hour of the morning, there's plenty of parking and it's free on weekends.
i drive in from springfield.

Wazza

Postby Wazza » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:20 pm

Wazza wrote:Anyone up for an eastern river loop on Thursday? 5:30am West End?
Waz
Change of time - 6am and it will be an extended loop via Wynnum and Manly. Hope you get this Vaeske already SMSed you
Wazza

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:55 pm

good ride today with Wazza and Munga. Thanks fellas. good 60 odd kms around manly and wynnum, nice casual ride and apologies for running away a little towards the end...got a little too eager.

Wazza

Postby Wazza » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:10 am

vaeske wrote:good ride today with Wazza and Munga. Thanks fellas. good 60 odd kms around manly and wynnum, nice casual ride and apologies for running away a little towards the end...got a little too eager.
Thanks for your company lads, explored some roads that I had not ridden on before so a bit of an adventure. I hope all the later activities for the day were completed with good results. My reception at home wasn't as good as hoped so took the GLW to the movies and that seemed to smooth the waters. See you Raturday :wink:

Waz

PS, Munga, good call on brunch yesterday :D :D
Wazza

auswi2

Postby auswi2 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:13 pm

Hello,

I am looking to join a new group to ride with that i can keep up with

I will be coming from Crestmead (Southside) and i don't know the area that well but should be able to find the place.

Is the 32km loop on for Tomorrow at 6am

Thanks

Kiwalian

munga

Postby munga » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:27 pm

6am,
melbourne hotel,
browning st, west end.

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:11 pm

I'm in, Munga, will you be right to bring the Turbo?
Long day's journey into alt-bars

Wazza

Postby Wazza » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:24 pm

I'm out tomorrow :cry: :cry: I've got some concrete to lay so I've got to harden up and do it! :wink:
Waz
Wazza

munga

Postby munga » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:13 pm

pentlandexile wrote:I'm in, Munga, will you be right to bring the Turbo?
you bet, ben!

/me runs out and puts saddle in van :oops:

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:00 am

should be a good ride tomorrow...riverloop again, but we'll go around the tennis centre this time aye?

elantra

Postby elantra » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:05 am

Looks like it will be a nice morning for the Raturday ride.
I am still down the Tweed.
Met up with Retro Man yesterday and we knocked over a nice loop from Tumbulgum over Terranorra to Tugun and then back to T'gum via Banora Point. Followed of course by debrief over coffee on the banks of the Tweed.
Sometime I will lead the crew on a ride up Tomewin from Murwillumbah, that is a nice one.
Anyway off for a bit of a ride myself now, before it gets insanely hot.

munga

Postby munga » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:04 pm

just three amigo's this morning.

vaeske on his wife's bike (it was lavender, and i have to say something smart, seeing as he has so many gorgeous bikes),
pentlandexile on his old red bike ( i think it was an '82 Raleigh Competition, but maybe it was a Repco Traveller - not sure.),
me on the shogie bear, the most manly, hairy-chested, beer drinking, cigar smoking, testicle of a bike there today.

we waited around for wal until 6:20, but neither he nor zynster fronted, so we took off like there was money at stake.
i must have smelled bad / looked funny this morning, because every time i caught up to vaeske and pentlandexile, they took off like i had the disease.

if only wal and dan were there with their not-serious strava's running, they might have seen some new pb's.
mine was off the chart - KOM's out the wazoo, wazza!

long story short:
i took my usual shortcut at yeronga, pulled out about a km lead on the peleton, and jumped on the back of a big fat group of professional-looking cyclists ("nice old bike" said the guy up front on his s-works something something) and cruised along the corso waiting for the sprinters to catch up to me.
i'd guess that they expected me to wait at the top of the hill at dutton park, but i was ruthless. no rest for you guys today!
when i finally let them near me, i expected word from the team manager abut my awesome segments, but no. no special bidons, no flu tablets, no tiny trophys,no messages. nothing. i'd also guess that they expected me to wait at the top of the hill at dutton park, but i wasn't ready to let them pass, i was thoroughly incensed by now.
after the decent on gladstone road, i figured they'd had enough suffering, and i let them through (just before the climb to dornoch terrace).
showing that they'd learnt their lessons, they repaid the courtesy of not waiting for me at the shops, and tore down the terrace all the way to west end.
i finally caught up with them about a block from the cafe, whereupon, as a sign of respect and admiration, they had taken the liberty of ordering for me.
we probably won't go there again.
my coffee was cold.
end.

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:51 pm

munga wrote:just three amigo's this morning.

vaeske on his wife's bike (it was lavender, and i have to say something smart, seeing as he has so many gorgeous bikes),
pentlandexile on his old red bike ( i think it was an '82 Raleigh Competition, but maybe it was a Repco Traveller - not sure.),
me on the shogie bear, the most manly, hairy-chested, beer drinking, cigar smoking, testicle of a bike there today.

we waited around for wal until 6:20, but neither he nor zynster fronted, so we took off like there was money at stake.
i must have smelled bad / looked funny this morning, because every time i caught up to vaeske and pentlandexile, they took off like i had the disease.

if only wal and dan were there with their not-serious strava's running, they might have seen some new pb's.

long story short:
i took my usual shortcut at yeronga, pulled out about a km lead on the peleton, and jumped on the back of a big fat group of professional-looking cyclists ("nice old bike" said the guy up front on his s-works something something) and cruised along the corso waiting for the sprinters to catch up to me.
i'd guess that they expected me to wait at the top of the hill at dutton park, but i was ruthless. no rest for you guys today!
when i finally let them near me, i expected word from the team manager abut my awesome segments, but no. no special bidons, no flu tablets, no tiny trophys,no messages. nothing. i'd also guess that they expected me to wait at the top of the hill at dutton park, but i wasn't ready to let them pass, i was thoroughly incensed by now.
after the decent on gladstone road, i figured they'd had enough suffering, and i let them through (just before the climb to dornoch terrace).
showing that they'd learnt their lessons, they repaid the courtesy of not waiting for me at the shops, and tore down the terrace all the way to west end.
i finally caught up with them about a block from the cafe, whereupon, as a sign of respect and admiration, they had taken the liberty of ordering for me.
my coffee was cold.
end.
Chapeau, patron.

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:52 pm

munga wrote:just three amigo's this morning.

long story short:
my coffee was cold.
end.

Eyyyyyy Mungarinni!!!!! whata u talking about.....fuhgeddaboudit...

Dan

Postby Dan » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:20 pm

We've encountered that s-work chappie once before. He's the infamous mr 'steel is real is it?', whose outstanding display of eloquence and courtesy I repaid by blitzing him up the cemetery hill.

Super story. We should make it into a graphic novel.

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:09 pm

Dude, I believe the correct nomenclature is 'col du cimetiere'.

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:35 pm

thanks for the ride fellas. twas definitely needed. It got my christmas pot burning, even with the noddy chain skipping...

munga

Postby munga » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:34 pm

col du cimetiere. i like that.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:52 pm

munga wrote:col du cimetiere. i like that.
It's hardly a col - and is more commonly known as Duttonberg. :)
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

munga

Postby munga » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:08 pm

call it what you want, but if we're riding that quick next raturday, i'm shaving my legs and buying a rear disc

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:11 am

RonK wrote:
munga wrote:col du cimetiere. i like that.
It's hardly a col - and is more commonly known as Duttonberg. :)
what about a muur... Maybe we could ask the council to put cobbles on it.

Wazza

Postby Wazza » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:27 pm

munga wrote:call it what you want, but if we're riding that quick next raturday, i'm shaving my legs and buying a rear disc
What you don't shave! How do you expect to get better strata segments :roll: :roll: :roll: :twisted: :twisted:
Wazza

elantra

Postby elantra » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:56 pm

elantra wrote:Looks like it will be a nice morning for the Raturday ride.
I am still down the Tweed.
Met up with Retro Man yesterday and we knocked over a nice loop from Tumbulgum over Terranorra to Tugun and then back to T'gum via Banora Point. Followed of course by debrief over coffee on the banks of the Tweed.
Sometime I will lead the crew on a ride up Tomewin from Murwillumbah, that is a nice one.
Anyway off for a bit of a ride myself now, before it gets insanely hot.
Relaxing after the Tweed Retro-ride a few days ago.
That Gitane is beautiful
Fondriest is not retro and i am not convinced that it is beautiful but it certainly gets you there and back.