2013 Queensland Cycling Events

Royal Children's

Re: 2013 Queensland Cycling Events

Postby Royal Children's » Fri May 03, 2013 1:03 pm

Ride up to the challenge!

The Ks 4 Kids bike ride is a 200km return journey from Redcliffe to the beautiful Novotel Twin Waters Resort on the Sunshine Coast on the weekend of 7-8 September, to raise urgently needed funds for sick and injured kids. Here is your chance to ride up to the challenge! Amateur riders from far and wide will come together to enjoy the coast and hinterland scenery and raise funds for the Children's Health Foundation to support the Wonder Factory at the Royal Children’s Hospital.

This is a great ride for amateur riders looking to ride up to their next challenge. Register now for $250 which includes accommodation at Novotel Twin Waters Resort, meals and insurance. Riders are asked to fundraise a minimum of $1500 to benefit the Wonder Factory. Visit http://www.ks4kids.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for more information.

elantra

Postby elantra » Wed May 08, 2013 10:26 am

Here is a good excursion for Mother's day !

Escape to Queen's Park on the crest of the Great Dividing Range, about 2 hours drive west of Brisbane.

Chill out on the lush grass and gardens while the NRS boys do their criterium stuff.
http://www.touroftoowoomba.com.au/race- ... tage-five/

before that there are other events also.
http://www.touroftoowoomba.com.au/commu ... -festival/

And there will be trade displays and bikes etc too i spose.

elantra

Postby elantra » Tue May 28, 2013 11:02 pm

Seems to be not many events in June and July.

Anyone interested in Challenging the Southern Downs steam train from Warwick to Dalveen or Stanthorpe on June 22nd ?
(weather permitting)

It can be done, as proven recently by ldrcycles.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed May 29, 2013 6:56 am

There's also the Brissie to the Bay on that same date in June.

Pax

Postby Pax » Wed May 29, 2013 7:23 am

elantra wrote:Seems to be not many events in June and July.

Anyone interested in Challenging the Southern Downs steam train from Warwick to Dalveen or Stanthorpe on June 22nd ?
(weather permitting)

It can be done, as proven recently by ldrcycles.
I am definitely up for a Steam Train Challenge sometime BUT there is a problem with this concept of a June ride Elantra....average temp in Stanthorpe in June is 2.8 min to 15 max and the icing on the cake (did you see what I did there :roll: ) is that the record minimum in june is MINUS 11 :shock: degrees

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed May 29, 2013 7:25 pm

What Pax said! It was ok last weekend, even though the minimum in Warwick that morning was 1.7 degrees, but there's no way i'd do it in June or July :shock: .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:00 am

Picked up my rider's pack this morning for the Brissie to Bay. Was planning on a smashfest before crashing a few days ago. Now thinking I may just take it easy, cruise the 100 at about 30km/h take in the stops and just enjoy the day out.

Of course, that all probably goes out the window first time i'm passed.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:06 am

crap, forgot all about picking up the riders pack!

CRV

Postby CRV » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:56 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:crap, forgot all about picking up the riders pack!
I'll be picking mine up sometime tomorrow from the MS office in Dutton Park, looking fwd to the ride :D

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:56 pm

See you guys out there next week...
Although I won't be tracking in those fast groups... :-) 25kph would be a good day for me!!!
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

ducatiss750

Postby ducatiss750 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:11 pm

Has any body done the 50 km brissie to bay looking to complete with my wife I have been riding for 12mths but my wife's has only just started how severe are the hills the furthest my wife has ridden is 45km reasonably flat

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:44 pm

ducatiss750 wrote:Has any body done the 50 km brissie to bay looking to complete with my wife I have been riding for 12mths but my wife's has only just started how severe are the hills the furthest my wife has ridden is 45km reasonably flat

I did the 50km ride with my wife last year. It was her second ride (after the 35km Cycle of Giving ride from redcliffe) but she managed ok. There are some hills on the way out before Balmoral and on the way back behind Cannon Hill, but they're doable if she takes it easy. The traffic and general chaos of such a big ride were a bit of a worry though, so it pays to keep your wits about you.
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:58 pm

Its mostly flat. Its not Toombul to Redcliffe flat but its still flat. I think its something like 550m elevation for the 100km group so you both shouldn't have any major issues. The biggest "hills" are on the 100km route where you head out to Wellington Point. For the 50's its towards Wynumn approaching the half way point. There's another hill after you leave the half way point and just over the gateway and a couple hills as you come into the finish. To give an example of how flat it is riders in the 100km group will be passing cyclists in the 50km group still with 20km to go as has been in the past with them charging to the finish.

As BrisVegas said just keep an extra eye out when you start heading through Bulimba, Hawthorne/Balmoral, Norman Park and along Vulture Street as some of the 100km riders will still be running pretty fast especially when they rock up behind some of those in the 25km group struggling towards the finish. The traffic will start getting a little busier, drivers start getting a bit frustrated behind slower riders and doorings are a real concern going through Balmoral where the cafes/bakeries are. Last year it was chaos going through Balmoral as packs of riders in the 100km group raced up behind struggling 25/50km riders that thought they were in the tour de france and had the whole lane to themselves weaving side to side preventing the faster riders/cars from overtaking eg no 3 abreast weaving side to side while pedaling.
Last edited by Lukeyboy on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ducatiss750

Postby ducatiss750 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:39 pm

Thanks for the info

Pax

Postby Pax » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:24 pm

Lukeyboy wrote: As BrisVegas said just keep an extra eye out when you start heading through Bulimba, Hawthorne/Balmoral, Norman Park and along Vulture Street as some of the 100km riders will still be running pretty fast especially when they rock up behind some of those in the 25km group struggling towards the finish. The traffic will start getting a little busier, drivers start getting a bit frustrated behind slower riders and doorings are a real concern going through Balmoral where the cafes/bakeries are. Last year it was chaos going through Balmoral as packs of riders in the 100km group raced up behind struggling 25/50km riders that thought they were in the tour de france and had the whole lane to themselves weaving side to side preventing the faster riders/cars from overtaking eg no 3 abreast weaving side to side while pedaling.
Jeez, that sounds like a dog's breakfast rather than a pleasant ride in support of a good cause. Kinda glad I'm doing a Samford *edit* Caboolture *edit* loop with the Samford mob instead.

Seriously I am not meaning to be a smart @rse...that does sound pretty chaotic, I hope there are no injuries!
Last edited by Pax on Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:29 pm

Thanks for the reminder of why I don't do the MS ride...heading in the opposite direct next Sunday, that for sure!
Lisa

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:53 am

I'm doing my first Brissie to Bay next weekend (50km). Not worried about the distance as I did the Ipswich 50 earlier in the year without any problems. But must say I'm not looking forward to the traffic! My husband has done it a couple of times and has told me much the same thing.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:35 am

Yep they really need to address how they handle the finish. Packs of people hitting 40-50kph up hills mixing it with people walking and others at crawling pace. It's a really great ride but damn that finish is messy!

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:00 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Yep they really need to address how they handle the finish. Packs of people hitting 40-50kph up hills mixing it with people walking and others at crawling pace. It's a really great ride but damn that finish is messy!
Not to mention the people struggling up hills who suddenly veer in front of you... But it was a lovely morning for the ride and beautiful at the bayside rest point. Did a slower average than the Ipswich ride though due to the sheer volume of riders, which was much worse once the 25km ride merged in...

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:02 pm

Had a leisurely spin this morning at B2TB. Luke I saw you at the start line (I was just off to your right, London Pride jersey), was going to scoot over and say hello after the start but was riding with a group and didn't think they'd be up for chasing when I saw you sat right behind the police motorbike! :lol:
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:45 pm

Haha! Oh the start haha. Can you explain what happened? Did someone bin it at the start or something?
I was pushing 20-30kph keeping pace with the police bike and going past the Tafe/7-11 I looked behind and there wasn't a single person in sight hahaha. I had the biggest laugh and then decided I might aswell chase down the next wave - caught the first few before before Sinclair Street and caught the majority of the pack where that railway level crossing is located on Stanley Street. Not bad for a 5 minute difference between waves :P

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:50 pm

Nah I didn't see anybody stack it, people were just slow away, lots of not quite finding the pedal going on I think. I was in the second row at the start line and got bogged down behind people and then boxed in going up Merivale Street. Partially a bit frustrating, but probably good seeing as I'm still supposed to be taking it easy (left quad still numb numb numb, grrr)...
Veloviewer

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:44 pm

:P

Ah rightio. Yeah, there were a few not far behind me going past the convention centre but after that everyone fell off the radar. Here's how I saw it.

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:32 pm

I'm famous! :lol: My mate Mal is to my right in the Enerflex jersey, and AmyInBrisbane (my wife) is to my left (you can just see her over the shoulder of the guy in red).

Those GoPros are so cool- how does it get the data for the display? Does it 'listen' to a Garmin speed/cadence sensor, or does it pair up with the completed ride file?

And yeah, you weren't kidding about seeing nobody behind you on Merivale St... :oops:
Last edited by GeoffInBrisbane on Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Veloviewer

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:55 pm

I saw that London Pride jersey!!! Very distinctive!!!

Was a great ride...
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...