Unfinished bike paths in Brissy

The 2nd Womble

Re: Unfinished bike paths in Brissy

Postby The 2nd Womble » Mon May 06, 2013 12:10 pm

Comedian wrote:I'm at the point now where I've seen so little bike infrastructure delivered in the last few years that I don't believe them about anything until I see it delivered.
You had $150,000,000 dollars worth built in Brisbane in a 5 year period Before Bligh got the chop. Servicing the debit from Labor's spending spree is now the state's 3rd largest expense :shock: I loathe how Newman is cutting costs the way he is to service that debit, but it can be said with some certainty that Brisbane will be lucky if the majority of those works that were left uncompleted post election get seen to at all. Everything tied to a dollar value is falling on deaf ears for the most part.
Maybe if someone suggested bike path tolls and tags for bicycles... Half way to bicycle registration then as well. Yay :)
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon May 06, 2013 12:22 pm

It's all a question of priorities isn't it? Spending on a phallis for Campbell is all good or funding new roads ... Spending anything on bike infrastructure falls into the "promise it each election" bucket and never deliver it bucket.

I've said before... If you want to use your bike as transport in bne the best option is to move next to what infrastructure there already is.

elantra

Postby elantra » Tue May 07, 2013 7:26 am

"Bicycle infrastructure" is like a jigsaw puzzle in Brisbane.
Sort of like a jigsaw puzzle that began with a flurry of construction 25 years ago and has progressed in fits and starts ever since.
There is seemingly no overall sensible masterplan, what is delivered is delivered randomly and seemingly without much consultation.

But of course it has its uses, and to the Burghers of Brisbane it is probably successful, useful or however you want to put it...
That is because the bikeways get enough commuters off the roads to prevent parts of Brisbane going into complete gridlock twice a day...
:?

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue May 07, 2013 12:27 pm

My favourite bit of Brisbane bike infrastructure....

Anyone want to come and help move a couple of those dirt BMX jumps onto the bridge tonight?

:P :P :P :P :twisted:

leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Tue May 07, 2013 5:31 pm

Wow! That's impressive. Not really flood proofed is it.

I'd love a bridge over Klumpp road too but that doesn't seem anywhere on the cards

Huggies

Postby Huggies » Wed May 08, 2013 12:17 am

When are they going to fix that bridge at Toombul ? It's a joke that it hasn't been done yet. :roll:

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon May 13, 2013 9:30 am

That bridge and bikepath is part of Airport Link Works - not BCC owned (yet). BCC has gone back to Leightons and asked them to return it to previous condition. BCC will own it a year or so after handover.

And yes, its a poorly positioned footbridge downstream of a hydraulic constriction. Obvious lack of bank protection and stabilisation. BCC advised this, APL ignored it.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon May 13, 2013 10:46 am

Huggies wrote:When are they going to fix that bridge at Toombul ? It's a joke that it hasn't been done yet. :roll:
Work started on it today.

elantra

Postby elantra » Mon May 13, 2013 10:48 am

RobM wrote:That bridge and bikepath is part of Airport Link Works - not BCC owned (yet). BCC has gone back to Leightons and asked them to return it to previous condition. BCC will own it a year or so after handover.

And yes, its a poorly positioned footbridge downstream of a hydraulic constriction. Obvious lack of bank protection and stabilisation. BCC advised this, APL ignored it.
Back at work today Rob ?

Really good effort on the ride to Sydney, you had some adverse conditions to overcome indeed.
http://freewheelcyclingblog.blogspot.co ... ydney.html

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon May 13, 2013 11:51 am

Thanks elantra - nah got today off, back to work tomorrow. Still abit sore in the left knee, so will wait for that to go away before my next ride. Bike is filthy so will focus on cleaning/servicing it in the meantime.

dclnmurray

Postby dclnmurray » Mon May 20, 2013 8:26 am

We rode past the end of the soon to be completed Greenslopes bike track section on Saturday and wondering what all the workers were doing on either side of the road. Were they installing/setting up the traffic lights for a bike crossing at the end point?

Dave

newbris

Postby newbris » Mon May 20, 2013 10:59 pm

Possibly already covered but does anyone know why the cycle path that emerges out of the airport link flyover spaghetti at Bowen Hills onto Campbell St is still closed ?

chisel

Postby chisel » Tue May 21, 2013 2:47 pm

dclnmurray wrote:We rode past the end of the soon to be completed Greenslopes bike track section on Saturday and wondering what all the workers were doing on either side of the road. Were they installing/setting up the traffic lights for a bike crossing at the end point?

Dave
There are already traffic lights for the busway near there. Would this be a modification to those lights?
I noticed they had dug a big trench through the area now (why has it taken so long?) so perhaps they are close to finishing ... maybe 3 months to go? :twisted:

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun May 26, 2013 3:48 pm

The washed out bridge at Toombul has been repaired. All that has to be fixed are the safety rails and any landscaping.

Before:
Now:

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue May 28, 2013 6:34 am

Lukeyboy wrote:The washed out bridge at Toombul has been repaired. All that has to be fixed are the safety rails and any landscaping.

Before:
Now:
Should be ready to be washed out in summer. :)

It amuses me that our active transport corridors in Brisbane are largely in flood prone areas, while the cars get the high ground...paradoxically it may just be the cars that are causing the floods.. But never mind.

Dan

Postby Dan » Tue May 28, 2013 7:01 am

All those cars and their pesky rainfall.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue May 28, 2013 9:05 am

Passed a bunch on my way today. Bumper to bumper along Sandgate road.

gordy

Postby gordy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:02 pm

There is movement at the station, well Birdwood Rd. Concrete truck was on site this morning as we passed.
Another step closer.
Still looks a fair way off though.
Maybe by spring?

chisel

Postby chisel » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:46 pm

I went past the Birdwood Rd bit today. Looked to be no change on the bikepath/busway side but on the other side they've widened the footpath in a small section, obviously so bikes can cross safely.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:43 pm

Forgot to mention last week but the bikeway at Toombul has now reopened.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:22 pm

chisel wrote:I went past the Birdwood Rd bit today. Looked to be no change on the bikepath/busway side but on the other side they've widened the footpath in a small section, obviously so bikes can cross safely.
Went past yesterday, earthworks are continuing at the exit point, no real difference to two weeks ago.

Came home on the bus and note with disappointment that the graffiti artists are using the new path as their canvas :( and there is more work being done on the underpass where the bikepath goes underneath the busway exit point for Birdwood Tce, looks like they are reinforcing the retaining walls on either end......

Surely all this work could have been getting down while they worked on the Annerley exit point and laying down the path, it could be months before it opens for use by cyclists :evil:
Lisa

Abby

Postby Abby » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:02 pm

Regarding the Lewisham St to Birdwood Rd V1 extension - I sent an email to TMR earlier this week asking when they thought it would be finished and open. Got this reply back yesterday:

Thank you for your enquiry about the completion date of V1 Veloway between Lewisham Street and Birdwood Road (Stage C - Package 1).

The Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR) anticipate the works of this section of V1 Veloway to be completed by mid June 2013, weather permitting.
Works are still underway, due to delays caused by rain.

I trust this information assists.

Kind regards
The Communications Team

So hopefully we are only 2-3 weeks away at worst... *fingerscrossed*
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

dclnmurray

Postby dclnmurray » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:32 pm

Went past this morning and Hallelujah, concrete has been laid. Can be too far now from opening and mid June would be about right.

Dave

chisel

Postby chisel » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:51 pm

dclnmurray wrote:Went past this morning and Hallelujah, concrete has been laid. Can be too far now from opening and mid June would be about right.

Dave
Wow, someone's bonus must be at stake. "Finish this by end of the financial year ... or else!"

I'll believe it when I actually see it open though.

gordy

Postby gordy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:00 am

It is getting closer. Path laid between V1 and Birdwood Rd. Workers on site this morning.
Also had a look at the other path currently being built between Greenslopes Bus Station and Greenslopes Hospital. It runs parallel with the new bike track and at one section only has a wire gate separating the two. Seems like a duplication in parts.