Bribie Island Ride

foo on patrol

Bribie Island Ride

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:45 pm

Just letting people know there is a ride that leaves the Village Delli First Avenue Bongaree at 6am sharp.

I am planing to go and have a ride with them. Organised by Wolves Bike Den in Caboolture and no I don't have any association with them. :)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

brett.hooker

Re: Bribie Island Ride

Postby brett.hooker » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:35 pm

Nice!!!
Was up there a couple of days ago, and will be up there again next week...
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

Lark2004

Postby Lark2004 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:19 pm

what's their pace like?
Andrew

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:25 pm

Tony said 25-35 for and steady ride and 35/40 if the get some quicks but you can pick them up by short cuts across other roads. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:53 am

Well, that was embarrassing! They pulled 200mtrs out of me in the first 300mtrs :shock: :oops: :lol:

The organiser of the ride dropped back and said, it doesn't normally start this fast. I told him I was not worried, so I just took a couple of short cuts to get in front of them. :twisted:
Of course the went past again but I was able to get on for a few Ks and enjoyed that. 8) Even a couple of the regular riders said it was on a bit this morning. :mrgreen:

I would think the fast blokes were doing 45/50Kmh which would be normal for training in a bunch. :wink: Just gotta love the sound of a bunch coming up on you and when they are leaving you behind. That sound is unique and I guess is why I love this sport. :D

They have another one on Sundays' that leaves from the Surf Club at 7am and is said to be a slower roll, so I might go over and join in. :)

Foo
Goal 6000km

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:21 pm

Hey Foo, did you try their sunday one yet, I never knew that there was a sunday ride on Bribie? I've been meaning to get across to join them for the friday morning one but if they're doing 35+ i might as well be riding by myself which i can do any time.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:17 am

Hi Paddles, sorry for the long time to reply. No I didn't as I went out earlier 5am and was back home by 7am.

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:33 am

Twaz a top morning for a ride here today. 8)

Only did 27Ks but that is good for me and now in recovery mode = mild coffee, a lamb rack and some mushrooms. :mrgreen:

Foo

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:22 pm

Yep, twaz a beautiful morning for a ride indeed Foo, we had a late start at 10am and took another family for a 16km loop from the vmr ramp up around sunderland drive to white patch, across to avon ave and then back down to the vmr. The 7 and 8 year olds on the bigger bikes did it easy but the 6yo on the 16 inch bmx did a whole lot of pedalling and a tiny bit of sooking towards the end and the 4yo was pedalling off and on behind his dad on the tag along. Good ride on a nice day though and it was good to step the kids up from the 13km loop we've been doing here around beachmere to the 16km mark, we'll turn them into 20km kids soon.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:22 am

Good one Paddles, I went again this morning and did 35Ks and it was just a magic morning this morning. :D

Tell me if this worked as this was my ride. :mrgreen:

<iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='http://app.strava.com/activities/465376 ... '></iframe>

Foo

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:45 am

Yeah, that link worked foo, that's a nice lap of bribie. I had a quiet day yesterday but snuck in another quick ride this morning from home up towards ningi and then back into Beachmere down some back roads, it's nice to get out and smell the roses on such nice mornings, it's only a 23-24km loop but i only got passed by a handfull of cars and otherwise it was just me, some fresh air and the horses in the paddocks.

My morning ride today is called "beachmere long" in mapmyride

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:52 am

I can get a 42Klm loop if I go down to Beachmere and back but that distance is about my limit for my embarrassing level of fitness. :lol:

If you want to hook up tomorrow morning for a ride let me know. :idea:

Foo

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:53 am

Nice rides guys...
I will be up there later and looking forward to my lap around the south of the island...

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:10 pm

Hi Foo, I'm out for tomorrow, don't be too embarrassed about your level of fitness it can't be any worse than mine. Í'll get in touch for a ride some time, it's probably easier for me to drive over to bribie and meet up there as i'm not a huge fan of riding on bribie road, i'm not riding too regularly by myself though and really just try to squeeze local rides in when I get the time, i more try to get my wife, daughter and a couple of other kids out riding as much as i can.

Enjoy your ride brett, there's worse places to ride.

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:01 am

Watch for those pensioners on gods waiting room, they're unpredictable and dangerous ! :D

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:17 am

Have to agree that Bribie rd can be a bit of a nightmare. Especially that bit were it narrows near the Shell servo. My mates have been onto me to join them for the Friday ride bit I just can't seem to get there.

The bike shop use to run a ride from the shop at Caboolture to Toorbul on a Thursday but in not sure if that still on. It got a bit hectic last year and turned into a bit of a smash-a-thon. I think that turned a few people off. Plus the traffic on Old Toorbul Rd is not the most cyclist friendly.

If your after a ride with some actual elevation change there is a ride in Morayfield on Tuesday that leaves from out the front of Fitness n Motion on Michael Ave at 0530. It goes out along Caboolture River Rd., Old North Rd. to Wamuran than out to Elimbah and back to Caboolture. If your really keen some of the guys can be convinced to detour off and do a bit of climb up Campbell's Pocket. Rd up to the Jackson Rd intersection.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:39 am

All good Paddles and riding with the family is good. 8)

I won't ride Bribie rd after the two lanes finish because of the halfwits in cars these days and there just isn't enough room for two trucks to pass without problems for you on a bike. :wink:

The Bike shop you would be speaking of Singlespeedscot would be Wolves Bike Den. That was the organised ride I hooked with at Christmas on the Island and they took off like scolded cats. :shock: If you go to their web site they have it posted on the calender what and where their rides are. :idea:

If any of you blokes or girls come to Bribie and want a slow ride (25kmh) of up to 40Ks PM me as being away in the truck all week I don't always have time to read through this section and I will try and meet up with you. :)

Foo
Last edited by foo on patrol on Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Orion

Postby Orion » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:54 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:If your after a ride with some actual elevation change there is a ride in Morayfield on Tuesday that leaves from out the front of Fitness n Motion on Michael Ave at 0530. It goes out along Caboolture River Rd., Old North Rd. to Wamuran than out to Elimbah and back to Caboolture. If your really keen some of the guys can be convinced to detour off and do a bit of climb up Campbell's Pocket. Rd up to the Jackson Rd intersection.
It's worth noting that Jackson Rd is rough gravel for at least one-third of its length. I rode up there about 2 months ago and the rains had created some pretty decent washouts. It's supposed to be sealed in the near future (when Moreton Bay Council stops spending all of its money on Redcliffe). It's a bloody steep climb in parts but the decent down Campbells Pocket Rd is fun. :D

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:10 pm

My shop is in morayfield and I travel all over cabooltureshire for work.
Most of the roads out to wamuran are a bit too hairy with traffic for riding, town riding morayfield and Caboolture is ok, bribie island (over the bridge) would be good too but certainly wouldn't ride the main drag from highway to ningi.
Bellmere to cross road where it meets Jackson road area would be ok but my mate lives on jacskon road and most of the locals drive it like a race track and it has too many blind corners etc same as Lindsay road.
Certainly not ideal cycling roads but maybe I am a bit of a snob with such nice Tarmac around Caloundra to maroochydore area.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:58 pm

Orion wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:If your after a ride with some actual elevation change there is a ride in Morayfield on Tuesday that leaves from out the front of Fitness n Motion on Michael Ave at 0530. It goes out along Caboolture River Rd., Old North Rd. to Wamuran than out to Elimbah and back to Caboolture. If your really keen some of the guys can be convinced to detour off and do a bit of climb up Campbell's Pocket. Rd up to the Jackson Rd intersection.
It's worth noting that Jackson Rd is rough gravel for at least one-third of its length. I rode up there about 2 months ago and the rains had created some pretty decent washouts. It's supposed to be sealed in the near future (when Moreton Bay Council stops spending all of its money on Redcliffe). It's a bloody steep climb in parts but the decent down Campbells Pocket Rd is fun. :D
I'm not talking about riding up Jackson road itself. Just heading up Campbell's pocket and turning around where it intersects with Jackson Rd.

I have ridden Jackson Rd and it is certainly not for modern carbon bikes. Ok for old steelies with fat tyres like mine though.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:07 pm

wurtulla wabbit wrote:My shop is in morayfield and I travel all over cabooltureshire for work.
Most of the roads out to wamuran are a bit too hairy with traffic for riding, town riding morayfield and Caboolture is ok, bribie island (over the bridge) would be good too but certainly wouldn't ride the main drag from highway to ningi.
Bellmere to cross road where it meets Jackson road area would be ok but my mate lives on jacskon road and most of the locals drive it like a race track and it has too many blind corners etc same as Lindsay road.
Certainly not ideal cycling roads but maybe I am a bit of a snob with such nice Tarmac around Caloundra to maroochydore area.
I would say your greatly mistaken. The roads outside Caboolture are perfect for riding. Very little traffic. Speed limits are 80km and under. I have been riding them for 10 years and never had an issue. The traffic up the Sunshine Coast is a lot worse IMHO.

If you find the roads to rough it's time to mount some fat tyres on your bike. Your really missing some nice riding.

Caboolture is a great launch site for riding. South on the back roads towards Brissie. West and straight up to Mt. Mee. North up to the Glass House Mtn's and the Sunny Coast. East if you want some coastal flat lands like Bribie Island or Redcliffe.

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:34 pm

I guess I've gotta get out more these days to see what it's like now, but 25 years ago as a teenager we used to ride anywhere from redcliffe in the east to dayboro, mt mee and d'aguilar in the west and i agree with scott, the choice of good rides on country roads seemed endless. One thing I now notice in our beachmere area is how good 95% of the car drivers are, I always seem to get given plenty of room and courtesy by other road users i can only hope that this the same in the rest of the shire. That being said, 2 roads i'm still not keen on riding down are beachmere road and bribie road west of the shell. Like Scott says whack on the 28's and build a nice set of strong wheels and bounce your way around.

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:49 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
wurtulla wabbit wrote:My shop is in morayfield and I travel all over cabooltureshire for work.
I would say your greatly mistaken. The roads outside Caboolture are perfect for riding. Very little traffic. Speed limits are 80km and under. I have been riding them for 10 years and never had an issue. The traffic up the Sunshine Coast is a lot worse IMHO.

If you find the roads to rough it's time to mount some fat tyres on your bike. Your really missing some nice riding.

Caboolture is a great launch site for riding. South on the back roads towards Brissie. West and straight up to Mt. Mee. North up to the Glass House Mtn's and the Sunny Coast. East if you want some coastal flat lands like Bribie Island or Redcliffe.
I know what you mean bit no use for my bike. 120psi on a 7kg carbon bike with roads like Campbell's pocket to top yard or even old gympie road.
I'd ride neither of them unless like last time, was a 100klm organised ride.

Bribie roads are in better nick.
Redcliffe a lot flatter but also, better nick.
Suppose it comes down to local knowledge and I only work there so only observe the state of the roads and traffic front my van.
Fat tyres for me means wheelies and fun round the lakes and coast with kids.
Certainly wouldn't take my 11/14yr olds round Caboolture with the amount of bogandore hoons about.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:08 pm

wurtulla wabbit wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:

I know what you mean bit no use for my bike. 120psi on a 7kg carbon bike with roads like Campbell's pocket to top yard or even old gympie road.
I'd ride neither of them unless like last time, was a 100klm organised ride.

Bribie roads are in better nick.
Redcliffe a lot flatter but also, better nick.
Suppose it comes down to local knowledge and I only work there so only observe the state of the roads and traffic front my van.
Fat tyres for me means wheelies and fun round the lakes and coast with kids.
Certainly wouldn't take my 11/14yr olds round Caboolture with the amount of bogandore hoons about.
Fat tyres mean 25-28mm. I would never run 120psi even in my 23mm tyres. I normally run 115 in the back and 80 in the front. Hi pressures just bounce over the coarse chip. Lower pressures just roll around it plus it gives more grip for the climbs and descents off Mt Mee and other fun hills around here.

Honestly I avoid both Bribie and Redcliffe. The traffic, round-a-bouts and lights give me the shits and I find flat roads a bit boring. Give me up and down with twists any time.

When I ride with the kids I stick to the bike paths or head to Bribie. Mind you mine are slot younger.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:18 am

The cold morning must have frightened everyone this morning, only saw one bloke. :shock:

Foo
Goal 6000km