Protest Announced

Protest Announced

Postby MountGower » Sun May 04, 2008 8:32 pm

LINK TO ORIGINAL

aaronwray wrote:
FYI for those interested in making their point to Government.

Cyclist Protest Ride

Calling all cyclists who are fed up with Local and State Government failures to provide safe and direct routes for Brisbane cyclists.

Detours of bikeways due to major infrastructure projects like the North South Bypass Tunnel, Airport Link and Northern Busway are severely impacting upon the ability of cyclists to ride in safety, particularly on Brisbane’s north side – which is already poorly served for cycling access.

A protest ride is being organised by the Central Business District Bicycle User Group (CBDBUG) to highlight the frustrations of cyclists and the dangers we face.

Time: Friday 9 May 2008 4:15pm for a 4:30pm start

Meeting Point: Corner Gregory Tce and Bowen Bridge Rd Herston

Route: Bowen Bridge Rd Herston to Federation St Lutwyche and back to Gregory Tce (Total Distance: 3km)

The ride is pro cycling, not anti-infrastructure development (although we would like a more balanced development).

A media release will be organised as part of the protest, highlighting these issues - we need a decent turnout by cyclists riding on the day to really make our point.

The ride will not go ahead unless we have at least 20 confirmed starters, so please RSVP to John Lister on john@whcp.com.au or 0428 667 827 by Wednesday 7 May 2008.

All riders must adhere to Qld Road Rules and ensure that you:
• Wear an approved and fastened bike helmet at all times
• Have a bell or horn in working order
• Do not ride more than two abreast

For more information on the CBD BUG visit us as at www.cbdbug.org.au or email convenors@cbdbug.org.au
Not sure about the detail, but I like the general idea. If anyone was going to do this it certainly wasn't going to be Bicycle Queensland. At least the CBD BUG has got the balls, or should I say, doesn't rely on goverment funding. My problem with this is that it will only take a few minutes and will not drive the point home well enough. The problem is huge. The solution here is too small.

Credit to the BUG for at least doing something. If they started offering third party insurance with membership you could kiss BQ goodbye.
MountGower

by BNA » Sun May 04, 2008 8:52 pm

BNA

Postby winona_rider » Sun May 04, 2008 8:52 pm

i'll be there....
winona_rider

Re: Protest Announced

Postby Mulger bill » Mon May 05, 2008 4:28 pm

MountGower wrote:... My problem with this is that it will only take a few minutes and will not drive the point home well enough. The problem is huge. The solution here is too small.

Critical Mass might help rustle up some numbers, but gettin' some of 'em to behave might be an issue... :?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby winona_rider » Fri May 09, 2008 11:17 am

bump
winona_rider

Postby winona_rider » Fri May 09, 2008 6:48 pm

good ride - about 30 showed up. the losers from the construction company were on the footpath video taping us and taking pictures - no doubt to intimidate us. *shakes head*
didn't really hold up much traffic...it was moving at only 20ks/hr at that time anyway... no abuse really. maybe just one i thought i heard.

got more grief riding home on my own the same route... sheesh
winona_rider

Return to Queensland