Bicyclists being fined at Brisbane CBD riverside walkway?

GeoffInBrisbane

Re: Bicyclists being fined at Brisbane CBD riverside walkway

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:12 pm

Slvr32gtr wrote:There were reports of people copping fines for not having bells fitted near channel 10 on the back of Coottha this morning too.

Wow, what time was that? Was there this morning, saw no police.

Regarding the works on Coro bike path, even the cops clearly understand that 10kmh is a stupid arbitrary number - I was asked to slow down once when going faster than I should have been, but since then I've rolled through at 20-25 and they've never said a word. 10kmh is ridiculous, if everybody did that there'd be people wobbling all over the place...
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:26 pm

What I'd love to see is police fining pedestrians walking on the designated bike lanes under Kangaroo Point Cliffs. It's beyond a joke and if it was cyclists on the pedestrian side there would be hell to pay. My daughter almost fell off her bike braking to avoid an oblivious group. Chances of this happening? Zero.

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:11 pm

Yep you've got to be really careful through there. Was going along there last week, caught up to a couple on singlespeeds just before the bendy bit. Thought I'd wait until we got onto the straight before passing (visibility isn't too good round there), so I sat up and slowed down. Ahead of these two, there was a bloke stood on the edge of the path, talkng on his mobile phone, looking up at the cliffs. Just as the two cyclists are about to pass him, he decides "oh I want to be over there now" and spins on one foot straight into the path of the bikes. I yelled at him to look out, he barely noticed even as the cyclists in front of me were taking evasive action so as not to flatten him. :shock: The cyclists were not going fast, which was just as well, as he gave no warning at all...
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:27 pm

I rode that way a couple of times, decided it wasn't worth it due to that, can't even use the road to the right because of the speed bumps.

brandy234

Postby brandy234 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:01 am

Just copped a fine this morning for not stopping on Ivory Lane turning on to Boundary St. The fine is now $353.

Seems ridiculous to me as there can be virtually no traffic as there are large fences blocking the road towards New Farm. The main users of the road will be cyclists and it is impractical to stop.

I didn't argue with the officer but I am looking to argue with there being a stop sign there and also arguing with the QLD Govt of 2014 who raised the fines but rejected a parliamentary committee report to allow cyclists to roll through stop signs (effectively treating them as give way signs).

RonK

Bicyclists being fined at Brisbane CBD riverside walkway?

Postby RonK » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:28 am

Commiserations, but the stop sign at the bottom of Ivory Lane has been a Police target for years, so rolling through is a bad idea.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

brandy234

Postby brandy234 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:27 am

Being a relatively new resident of Brisbane I wasn't aware.

It's hardly encouraging residents to get out and use the bike paths when they will be stung in the 100m bit of road connecting them...

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:23 pm

Unlucky Brandy!

I've recently re-fitted a bell to my bike due to the increase in police activity around Cootha etc.

When I first moved here from the UK I rolled through a stop sign (T-Junction with a clear view left and right) and had a police car behind me! They didn't do anything which was lucky, and it was soon after that I read about the law and fines for failing to stop at the signs.

EDIT: Oh, and there is no such thing as jay walking in the UK, so that was new to me too! Coming from central London, you cross when you want.......

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:42 pm

No such law here as well. The only thing close to j-walking is a set distance from a crossing. 30m or something.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:28 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:No such law here as well. The only thing close to j-walking is a set distance from a crossing. 30m or something.
Not really. There are a number of laws applying to pedestrians crossing the road which could be grouped under the title of "jaywalking".

There is no specific ‘jaywalking’ offence in Australia. However, the phrase is often used informally to describe pedestrians who cross the road in a manner that is not permitted by law. All states and territories have the same basic rules and regulations when it comes to pedestrian safety.

Traffic infractions that are sometimes classed as ‘jaywalking’ include ignoring red pedestrian lights, attempting to cross when traffic lights are green, crossing a road diagonally (unless permitted) and failing to use a zebra crossing that is within 20 metres of your location.

You can also get booked if you fail to show reasonable regard for other road users, such as walking in the middle of a breakdown lane. In areas where there are no pedestrian lights, zebra crossings or signposted instructions, a pedestrian must cross a road by the shortest and safest route possible.

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2014/03/as ... australia/

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:43 pm

This is queensland. The only j-walking type law applies to crossing within 20-30m of a crossing.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:14 pm

I always do a track stop at Ivory Lane and also the stop sign coming into Mowbray park ...there is also a police blitz on cyclist this week...they were on cootha the otherday.... no news on when they will start policing the 1mtr passing law
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:45 am

cancan64 wrote:. no news on when they will start policing the 1mtr passing law
Hahaha, that's funny. [emoji1]

A coppa told me recently that the J walking distance is just 10m???
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:01 am

cancan64 wrote:I always do a track stop at Ivory Lane and also the stop sign coming into Mowbray park ...
Unfortunately they'll still book you for this so watch out. The cops require one foot placed on the ground to be deemed a "complete" stop, even though you could submit to the court your garmin clearly showing you stopped......

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:04 pm

Ignoto wrote:
cancan64 wrote:I always do a track stop at Ivory Lane and also the stop sign coming into Mowbray park ...
Unfortunately they'll still book you for this so watch out. The cops require one foot placed on the ground to be deemed a "complete" stop, even though you could submit to the court your garmin clearly showing you stopped......
False. There's no law in Queensland stating that a foot must be planted on the ground to be deemed a complete stop.

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:36 pm

Sure, the law doesn't state that, but we've seen time and time again they the cops will fine you for not planting a foot.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:03 pm

I would explain that issuing such an infringement would be wasting their and the courts time. One would hope that with a bit of level headed conversation that the effort could be avoided.

Dreams are free... Capture everything on camera I say.
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:57 pm

My understanding uou are required to come to a complete stop before the line. .. i have donw the track stop and stop signs whilst the police are blitzing it and have not been pulled up.... yet
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:16 pm

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:42 pm

Its funny how the article above mentions shared pathways...the picture shows a shared pathway... you would presume the complaints come from shared pathways so the police blitz cootha.... doesnt make any sense

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:25 pm

The thing I find amusing are that people are calling the police over someone which is not in a legal position to do aren't ringing their bells.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:05 pm

I can't remember the last time I rang my bell to warn a car driver of my presence... A loud 'Oi' seems to penetrate the glass sound barrier better. Neither work on a shared pathway with pedestrians with iPods...

I have a bell, I'm waiting for the day when I need to argue about reflectors.
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:22 am

As a further update to the stopping at a stop sign. A mutual friend was done this morning for failing to come to a complete stop/not stopping for three seconds.

Make of that what you will, I will err on the side of caution by putting my foot down at a sign but if you have a spare $350 for the fine + the time to contest it by all means track stand!

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:16 pm

Its hard to argue that you didn't come to a complete stop when you move backwards during a track stand :P

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:40 pm

cancan64 wrote:My understanding uou are required to come to a complete stop before the line. .. i have donw the track stop and stop signs whilst the police are blitzing it and have not been pulled up.... yet
A friend got booked at a stop sign for track standing. Protested to no avail. I guess track stand if you don't mind the fine and then going to court to fight it.