Race the Darling Downs Dasher steam train

morini

Race the Darling Downs Dasher steam train

Postby morini » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:15 pm

G'day all,

A group of us local Stanthorpe bike riders started racing the Warwick to Stanthorpe steam train as a bit of fun and it's now turned into a regular challenge. The Southern Downs Steam Railway run their old C17 steam engine up to Wallangarra a couple of times a year and the next visit is on April the 21st.
http://www.southerndownssteamrailway.co ... /index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We race the train from a small township at the crest of the ranges called Dalveen which is roughly the mid way point between Warwick and Stanthorpe. It's a 20 km dash from there into Stanthorpe so it's more social than competitive. Half is undulating and the rest down hill. The train is expected to a pass through Dalveen at approximately 9:30 Sunday morning, give or take a few minutes due to the hard slog the train has to endure up the ranges.

If you wanted to do something different and it's a bit of fun then this might be worth considering. Even the train ride itself is a hoot.

RonK

Re: Race the Darling Downs Dasher steam train

Postby RonK » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:46 pm

This could be huge - like the Race The Rattler - or the Iron Horse Race.

Maybe something the local community could use to promote the district.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

koen

Postby koen » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:42 pm

That sounds like great fun Chris.Can you arrange clear weather? I am getting a bit sick of the rain in Brissy. I will talk to some friends and would love to do it on the tandem. The run down from the Summit would be a hoot but what route do you take? Thanks for letting us know. O

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:15 pm

That sounds SOOOO cool!! Won't be able to make it this year but I would love to have a crack at it next time, would be a lot of fun :D .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

munga

Postby munga » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:04 pm

RonK wrote:This could be huge - like the Race The Rattler - or the Iron Horse Race.

Maybe something the local community could use to promote the district.
i agree! fancy racing a train? get your ticket! come and see the men of steel take on the mighty blah blah blah...
sounds like a top excuse to hit the hills for a weekend with the family.

Pax

Postby Pax » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:28 pm

This sounds fantastic!

April 21 won't work for me (Mrs Pax will be just out of hospital so I won't be abandoning her). When is the next opportunity??

morini

Postby morini » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:21 pm

I'll keep this thread alive and post when the train is coming up here again. It's usually every few months or so, so the next one might be when it's sleeting in June or July. Us locals will do it because we've got nothing else to do and no where else to go.

I'll try to get a few happy snaps on the day.

coyote

Postby coyote » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:56 pm

NMP

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:56 pm

Why not race it all the way from Warwick? The website puts the time for the train at 2 hours 15, and going on Old Stanthorpe Rd (which i'm assuming would be more interesting than the highway) the trip is about 60k, so it shouldn't be hard to beat. Maybe dressing in ye olde gear and riding an old 28" wheeled bike to make it a real challenge?

*strokes chin and looks at 28" Healing and matching kit...

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:38 pm

[quote="ldrcycles"]Why not race it all the way from Warwick? The website puts the time for the train at 2 hours 15, and going on Old Stanthorpe Rd (which i'm assuming would be more interesting than the highway) the trip is about 60k, so it shouldn't be hard to beat.

Have you been out there Idry, because it is all up and down and quite a few long drags from Warwick. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:03 pm

God it'd be about 14 years since I've been to Stanthorpe! Don't remember anything about it besides the cold, and climbing Bald Rock.

You've got me really interested now mate, I like a challenge :twisted: .

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:14 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Have you been out there Idry, because it is all up and down and quite a few long drags from Warwick. :wink:

Foo
That would make quite similar to the 47 mile Iron Horse Race. Check out the details on the link I posted.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

morini

Postby morini » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:11 pm

I love it but I'm not doing it, yet. The old Warwick Road might be a tad harder on my roadie because there a bit of dirt and a lot of the going up stuff. The difference in altitude between Dalveen and Warwick is just over 400m. This is not taking into account how many miles you actually climb. Koen has probably done it already. He dropped in earlier this arvo for a cuppa after doing a loop around the district .

Great idea though. It would make it a "real race" then because the 20 kms we're doing is more just for the fun of it. If some one wants to do it - go for it. Us old sooks will be waiting at the Dalveen Station which is right where you crest the ranges.

Chillibones

Postby Chillibones » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:32 pm

You've got me really interested. I'll watch this post for the Winter run. A twenty k dash against a steam train would be very pleasant.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:54 pm

Well according to the website the next Stanthorpe run is May 26th. I don't think I've got anything arranged for that day....

Is Old Stanthorpe Rd sealed? I tried to check it out on Google Maps but my browser doesn't want to play atm.
How about the New England Highway? From the glimpse I was able to get before Internet Explorer had a tantrum it looks like it has a nice wide shoulder.

morini

Postby morini » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:11 am

The old road definitely has dirt. I haven't done it for a few years so I can't recall how much. I'll find out. One consolation is that most dirt roads around here are usually pretty good because they're made with decomposed granite and so are pretty slick.

The highway would be fine, apart from the trucks etc. Locals use it every now and then to drop down to Warwick and there used to be a pretty keen rider here who trained in Warwick so he'd ride down and back. Come to think of it one of the local doctors racked up 4000 clicks in January (down the Coast) and he uses all the roads around here in a 100 k radius. Anything's possible.

morini

Postby morini » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:53 pm

Ok, The Old Stanthorpe Road from Warwick to Dalveen is about 1/3 dirt - 2/3 tarmac and the dirt is in the middle bit so you start and finish on the black stuff.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:12 pm

Sounds alright, my Mercier would be a good candidate for the task i think. :)

koen

Postby koen » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:30 pm

Why does this forum keep making me log in twice?

koen

Postby koen » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:34 pm

Its years since I rode the old Warwick Road but it was a nice ride if you are prepared for corrugations and some suffering hills. I would ride the highway Warwick to Dalveen except that I won't because I am driving to Dalveen:)
The trees in Stanthorpe are a lovely colour that you don't see round Brisbane. Its an easy 2.5hr drive to Dalveen so I am leaving at 6am with sister and new carbon tandem. We won't be that fast until the downhills.. Always nice to make new friends too. Looking forward to it

elantra

Postby elantra » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:54 am

morini wrote:Ok, The Old Stanthorpe Road from Warwick to Dalveen is about 1/3 dirt - 2/3 tarmac and the dirt is in the middle bit so you start and finish on the black stuff.
This road was part of the route in the 2011 "Cycle Queensland" event, part of the leg from Stanthorpe to Killarney.

The dirt section was expected to be quite an issue for the 700+ participants.
Actually it was negotiated (quite a steep descent on gravel) without incident.
On the southern outskirts of Warwick there is a huge roundabout where one unlucky rider managed to go for a slide on the road and suffered minor injuries.

Looks like i am lucky enough to be up for this event on Sunday - nice weather would be a bonus. Please.

morini

Postby morini » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:44 pm

Just had a chat to Rooster from Redback Cycles in Warwick and he reckons the dirt section is 6 -7 k's max.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:25 pm

koen wrote:Why does this forum keep making me log in twice?
Cause you're special! :D

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

duds2u

Postby duds2u » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:14 pm

I went to primary school in Dalveen a couple "Cough, cough"of years ago.
Only rode a horse in those days.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:39 pm

Well that does it, i'm doing it! Not sure about May 26th but should know soon. My aunty lives down in Warwick so no need for a motel :) .

Anyone else keen on taking on the train from Warwick?

The Mercier I mentioned would be great for the job (especially with matching kit) but i'm wondering if something older would be good to match the train a little better. Probably wouldn't be keen on using the old Healing though, only one gear and a coaster brake is a bit more challenge than necessary!