Daily commute to Brisbane airport

Daily commute to Brisbane airport

Postby Laggin » Sun May 19, 2013 8:09 pm

Recently started a job at the domestic terminal at Brisbane airport and I'm after some directions. I live near Indooroopilly and for many years cycled to Murarrie, about 27km each way, but now I'd like some thoughts, or even better, to hear from someone who does this (airport) ride. I can't see a safe route, but not all options are obvious.
Laggin

by BNA » Sun May 19, 2013 9:20 pm

BNA

Re: Daily commute to Brisbane airport

Postby Abby » Sun May 19, 2013 9:20 pm

Hi Laggin,

I cycle-commute daily from Mt Gravatt to my workplace, which is in the Airport Village/DFO area near the airport (or SkyGate as they are calling it now).

From Murarrie, I head up Queensport Rd, and then onto the Gateway Bridge bikepath. Once on the other side, I turn left onto Kingsford-Smith, right over the Schneider Rd overpass, and then on the otherside head oonto the bikepath that takes you passed the car auctions places.

This takes me to Nudgee Rd, and I head down there (plenty of shoulder most of the way), the hang a right onto Aiprort Drive, and you're away!

Hope all that makes sense. Here's a Strava link that should show the route: http://app.strava.com/activities/54241475

Cheers,
Abby
Abby

Postby briztoon » Sun May 19, 2013 9:45 pm

Well, normally I head over the Gateway Bridge bike path, turn right on to Lavarack Ave, left on to Holt street, zip across Kingsford Smith Drive, on to Sugarmill road past the army storage barracks, the left on to Lomandra drive. You can then turn on to Airport Drive from there, though I usually swing on to Lakeside Rd and swing past DFO and on to Airport Drive as I'm heading towards the Jim Soorley Bike path at the back of Toombul shopping centre.
briztoon

Postby RonK » Mon May 20, 2013 10:57 am

briztoon wrote:Well, normally I head over the Gateway Bridge bike path, turn right on to Lavarack Ave, left on to Holt street, zip across Kingsford Smith Drive, on to Sugarmill road past the army storage barracks, the left on to Lomandra drive. You can then turn on to Airport Drive from there, though I usually swing on to Lakeside Rd and swing past DFO and on to Airport Drive as I'm heading towards the Jim Soorley Bike path at the back of Toombul shopping centre.

This is a good route - much more direct than Nudgee Road. To get to the Domestic terminal you can avoid much of Airport Drive by turning off Lomandra onto Qantas Drive as far as the International Terminal. You'll have to use Airport Drive for the last bit but it's pretty quiet now since the new road (Moreton Drive) went in.

From Indooroopilly you would either have to ride on the road, or you could use the Bicentennial Bikeway to Petrie Terrace, link up bike paths to Breakfast Creek then along the riverside path along Kingsford Smith Drive and through the back streets to Sugarmill Road.

This map may give you some ideas.

Click on the Google icon in the map to open in bike maps mode.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat May 25, 2013 10:16 am

What about shadowing the train line via the quieter roads/bikeways/bike lanes? No peds are allowed along the bikeway section between Toombul to the DFO and the shoulder is about 2-2.5m wide with good lighting, painted bike lanes and bike buzzers to activate the lights. You can easily keep up a high speed between Albion and Eagle Junction and there are multiple ways to do that. I'm going for a ride soon so I'll just double check that section between Eagle Junction and Toombul but there are a few different variants of that leg. RBWH-Albion is the only messy part. I haven't checked out that area since the airport link/clem 7 works but i think there is a bikeway that goes along the river to Albion with entrances on Campbell and Northey Street.

https://maps.google.com.au/maps?saddr=B ... 5&lci=bike

This is the route that I take from Sandgate Road to the lookout at the far end and return to Toombul. http://app.strava.com/activities/53186587
Lukeyboy

Return to Queensland