Bike fit Brisbane

Bike fit Brisbane

Postby Stitch71 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:40 pm

I love cycling but I'm getting pain from it, neck, right side lower back & knee & both outer side of upper calves.

I think my feet are moving outwards on pedal stroke & obviously something else. Steve Hogg seems to know what he is talking about from his article in bicycling Australia & has great blog on his website. However, who has $1,000 to fly to Sydney & get a pro fit!

Please reply to this with which bike fitter you have used in Brisbane & what they did & how it worked. Assuming you ride a few times a week doing 140km plus.
Stitch71

by BNA » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:34 pm

BNA

Re: Bike fit Brisbane

Postby RobM » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:34 pm

I have one booked in with Eric at Physiotec at Tarrigindi on the south side. Mine is next Friday arvo.

He was recommended by a friend who said he solved knee problems he'd had for 15yrs of riding. Also got rid of his saddle sore problems (in combo with a saddle change).

The booking takes up to 2.5hrs and he gets you to do intervals so that he can see your position changing as you tire - so sounds pretty thorough.

Will post my thoughts after next week.
Cheers
Rob
RobM

Postby neoppg » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:29 pm

I personally along with most of my mates I ride with use Nick Formosa from cadence cycling. He is located in west end and is very well known for what he does. He uses the retul system and will give you a very detailed report.

www.cadencecycling.com.au
3255 0671

If you call him, tell him Anthony from Neo passed on his details.
neoppg

Postby Ignoto » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:46 am

I'm just curious if anyone has any recommendations on a someone who does non-retul fits?

From what I can see, Planet Cycles offer a 2D fit for $150 while Taylor Cycles use some kind of laser system to fit you for $100?
Ignoto

Postby marinmomma » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:55 am

RobM wrote:I have one booked in with Eric at Physiotec at Tarrigindi on the south side. Mine is next Friday arvo.

He was recommended by a friend who said he solved knee problems he'd had for 15yrs of riding. Also got rid of his saddle sore problems (in combo with a saddle change).

The booking takes up to 2.5hrs and he gets you to do intervals so that he can see your position changing as you tire - so sounds pretty thorough.

Will post my thoughts after next week.
Cheers
Rob

+1 to Eric, he is a cyclist as well.
Lisa
marinmomma

Postby Ryanhyltoncummins » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:09 pm

I got mine done at 99 in the valley when i bought a bike there. Don't have any sore joints or anything similar and i've been riding since may on their fit for me.
They just measure you with a tape, and put the details into a computer.
Ryanhyltoncummins

Postby RobM » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:54 pm

marinmomma wrote:+1 to Eric, he is a cyclist as well.

Indeed he is. A very good one at that.

A quick wrap up of how it went for me.

I rode over to PhysioTec after work and filled out the mandatory form while i waited. Eric had me hook up my bike to his wind trainer (he used the trainer-specific skewer so it didnt damage my bike).

Then i jumped on and pedalled for 10mins or so while he watched and filmed me on his phone from various angles.
Then he played the footage back to me explaining the issues he picked up on.

First issue to tackle was getting my cleats setup properly. He talked thru what we were doing and how i could repeat the process myself (should i change cleats or shoes in the future). I have 2 pairs of shoes so we did all 4 right there.

Then back on the bike for more pedalling, videoing and assessing.

Repeat process with a saddle adjustment and seatpost adjustment. My stem and bars didnt need to be touched.

All in all my position was probably 90% of the way there - so with his help i got to getting it pretty much 100% dialled. Havent had any problems at all since and have noticed i dont suffer fatigue related issues from long rides (i used to get sore knees and some minor back ache...not anymore).

Bonus was that i got some of the cost refunded thru my private health care. So it made it more affordable.

I would (and have) recommend him for sure. He is a nice guy, pleasant and professional.
RobM

Postby Ignoto » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:36 pm

Interesting stuff Rob. How much did it end up costing you? When I spoke to Bupa about getting a 3d fit, I think they would only cover $20 of the $300+ fitting.
Ignoto

Postby RobM » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Ignoto wrote:Interesting stuff Rob. How much did it end up costing you? When I spoke to Bupa about getting a 3d fit, I think they would only cover $20 of the $300+ fitting.

My fit with Eric was $180, from memory NIB gave me $60-70 back (i think). TBH i was happy to pay $180 anyways but the refund was nice.

Note: Im not sure if Eric charges $180 as a standard fee, best ring and check.

One thing i forgot to mention - once you do your fit with Eric, you can return as many times as you need until you are happy with your fit. I didnt need it, but its great policy.
RobM

Postby dayne » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:00 am

Victor popov is a Physio/cyclist/bike fit guy,
Worked in Europe for all the big teams and is helping me with Physio at the moment,
There is also another guy in the same clinic that Llewelyn recommends,
His name is Brian McLean and has also worked with ais and alike,

They both work out of qsmc in the gabba stadium and a fit is about $200 and can be put through hi caps if you have cover.
dayne

Postby marinmomma » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:37 am

RobM wrote:
marinmomma wrote:+1 to Eric, he is a cyclist as well.

Indeed he is. A very good one at that.

A quick wrap up of how it went for me.

I rode over to PhysioTec after work and filled out the mandatory form while i waited. Eric had me hook up my bike to his wind trainer (he used the trainer-specific skewer so it didnt damage my bike).

Then i jumped on and pedalled for 10mins or so while he watched and filmed me on his phone from various angles.
Then he played the footage back to me explaining the issues he picked up on.

First issue to tackle was getting my cleats setup properly. He talked thru what we were doing and how i could repeat the process myself (should i change cleats or shoes in the future). I have 2 pairs of shoes so we did all 4 right there.

Then back on the bike for more pedalling, videoing and assessing.

Repeat process with a saddle adjustment and seatpost adjustment. My stem and bars didnt need to be touched.

All in all my position was probably 90% of the way there - so with his help i got to getting it pretty much 100% dialled. Havent had any problems at all since and have noticed i dont suffer fatigue related issues from long rides (i used to get sore knees and some minor back ache...not anymore).

Bonus was that i got some of the cost refunded thru my private health care. So it made it more affordable.

I would (and have) recommend him for sure. He is a nice guy, pleasant and professional.

Thanks for the review, I will be seeing Eric for a bike fit once I'm allowed back on the bike, going to see him for my Physio as well...thank goodness I can get a bus to his clinic from home as I can't drive at the moment.

What problems were you having that prompted you to go in the first place?
Lisa
marinmomma

Postby RobM » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:41 am

I never had any real problems but as i was 'self-fitted' over 4 years of riding, i thought it was about time i saw a professional fitter haha.

The main motivation was after my Brisbane-to-Sydney ride. In my heavy training schedule leading up to the ride, i had no real issues. But on the ride after about 600kms in 4 days i started to get knee aches and some back pain. On one hand it was to be expected with cramming in 1000kms in 7 days, but i wanted to be sure i didnt cause any more damage in the future.

Truth be told, it was probably mostly attributed to my shoes/cleats. I had a 'training/commuting' pair of shoes and a good 'race' pair of shoes which i used on the ride iteself - which had slightly off cleat setups. So if anything, Eric taught me the importance of keeping things identical across the shoes (and how to do that).

One other thing he did was show me how one leg is usually weaker than the other. And excersises you can do to strenthen and increase flexibility. Thats the benefit of him being a physio as well.
RobM

Return to Queensland