How do you hold in this this temp??

ColinOldnCranky

Re: How do you hold in this this temp??

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:46 pm

I ride all year through - every working day and whatever I feel like on weekends - so I get to see the full range of Perth temps and gear up accordingly.

I have found, after trying a few different options, that a basic high-density-weave nylon spray jacket to be the best for the body. It does the job, a little sweaty at times, and easily ties around the waist when I think I am better off without it.

Shoes are crocs as they are in summer but in the cold I wear socks as well (yeah, I know, crocs and sox, the height of cool) and a set of tights. Tights are worn OVER the bike shorts. That way I can also strip off the tights and shove them in a pocket of the spray jacket. A beanie does the head and I also carry a head-sock to cover the air passages if I need to. Head socks are really easy to stow as well as they are not much more than a hanky interms of colume or weight. the beany gets stuffed in the spray jacket pockets as well.

And a pair of knitted glove lined with thinsulate. If it get REALLY cold then I may take my ski gloves.

I also carry a tarp-pancho for use when it is pelting down.

I do carry the backpack in winter whereas in Summer I can generally get away with a bum bag if I choose to.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:04 am

You live in Perth and own ski gloves? No snow anywhere near you is there?

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:04 am

Official weather records will show 4.6°C this morning (but that was miles away), my weather station had it at 3°C.

Only myself and a mate this morning, the others are all of seriously questionable fibre :). Decided to just do laps of the Road Nationals course (10km) which involves a pretty steep climb but not too far away as heavy rain forecast. Rugged up in all the gear, full gloves, thermal longs and long sleeve top, thermal undershirt, brand new skull cap, booties and a heavy duty (ground effect) jacket.

First lap was dry, started to drizzle on the next lap, last lap it was pouring rain mixed with light hail. Still loved it!

Left a bit of a mess in the coffee shop as we dried off (sorry, :oops: ). Started snowing (heavily) as I left to go home :D

Having all the layers is the key, trapping warm air and allowing small adjustments should you warm up.
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:01 pm

During the colder times I wear a beany, occasionally a balaclava. It works but also gets quite sticky unless it is really cold.

Lately I have added a headsock. I can wear the headsock to cover mouth or nose or whatever, the ears, the back of the neck. If it is not so cold that the beany gets a bit sweaty then I can use the headsock in it's place. Adjustable in terms of the areas it covers and the number of layers - 2, 3 or 4 - as per conditions.

And it weighs nothing and occupies almost no space.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle