How do you hold in this this temp??

barefoot

Re: How do you hold in this this temp??

Postby barefoot » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:00 pm

RonK wrote:
barefoot wrote:In humid heat, there's just nothing that can be done.
Actually there is - you can get out early and be finished your ride by the time the sun gets high. That's why we start riding at 5:30 am all year round here in Brisbane. Apart from that, hydrate correctly and you'll soon acclimatise.
Ah, that must be what I'm doing wrong here.

My regular bunch heads out at 6am for about an hour, all year round... so for most of the year it's still dark when we get back ;-)

At least that means in winter we get to start out in the relative warmth of pre-dawn... so it's just getting in to the coldest time of the day as we warm up :-D

That said, it's more about finding any time for riding than specifically selecting such an ungodly hour due to its favourable climate...

tim

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:23 pm

Another advantage of no day light savings in Brisbane :lol:

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:15 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Another advantage of no day light savings in Brisbane :lol:
What, the fact that a good chunk of your daylight hours are wasted, burned up at stupid times of the clock that only crazy people and cyclists ever see? :lol:

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:51 pm

Hey, gotta be a cyclist to take advantage of it. You can also cycle for longer in the morning with the fewer amount of cars on the road. In other words you snooze you lose :lol: :lol: :P

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:16 pm

burgesyd wrote:Not sure if this is a bit OT but I wanted to see if others that feel the cold have experienced the same thing.

My hands seem to feel the cold the worst. I have tried a couple of different winter gloves with the most recent being a pair of Assos Early Winter 851 gloves. They are warmer on their own than my previous combination of merino liner and wind proof outer but my hands were still getting cold 15-20 mins after starting riding. One thing I noticed Sat morning (quite possibly the coldest morning I have been out this year) was that my hands stated to warm up towards the end of my ride - the part where there are less hills.

One thought that crossed my mind was that I might be going too heavy duty in the gloves and they are causing my hands to sweat too much and get cold. Has anyone else had similar?
I'd agree with the comment that if your hands aren't cold at the start then they should be or they will overheat. I've found in the last week or so with the freezing mornings here that my hands start cold and warm up, while my feet are doing the opposite. I generally have a problem with hot feet and have never liked wearing shoes, but this winter it is getting too cold for my exceptionally well ventilated riding shoes (they even ventilate through the sole). So I've ordered some nice leather shoes for the winter. You do need to watch the extremities and remember you lose most of your heat from the soles of your feet and the top of your head.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:24 am

coldest morning of the year for me - garmin said 5.5 around chelmer
long sleeve jersey, gilet, leg warmers, overshoes and full gloves.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:39 am

jasonc wrote:coldest morning of the year for me - garmin said 5.5 around chelmer
long sleeve jersey, gilet, leg warmers, overshoes and full gloves.
Yup, 4 degrees at Nudgee Beach this morning...my feet were freezing, I had toe covers on but still....the rest wasn't too bad, hands were warm as I had double layered full fingered gloves.

Kudos for riding this morning, it was stunning with the full moon setting along with the sunrise! 8)
Lisa

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:05 am

I've been sitting here wondering if it's possible to get frostbite in Brisbane. My big toe was a very strange colour and it has only just regained sensation after this morning's ride! My Garmin said my minimum was 6.

CaptainSlow

Postby CaptainSlow » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:46 am

Garmin says minimum of 1 degree for me this morning, average of 3.3 degrees. That was going through Gap Ck and Fig Tree Pocket - numb toes and cold fingers! Does seem a little low though - any thoughts on the accuracy of temp readings on Garmins? (510 here)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/332876360

Angus

Postby Angus » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:21 am

I had a minimum of 1.4C on my Garmin 800 this morning, average 3C. Minimum was on Chelsea Rd at the Lota Creek boardwalk, which I have concluded is the true position of the South Pole - ignore what all those silly maps and things say. You can actually feel yourself hit a cold wall when you ride there in the mornings.

There were only three of our normal group dumb enough to ride this morning, but mine normally reads slightly higher temps than others in my bunch. Lowest I've seen this winter until this morning was mid 4's.

It was cold, but beautiful clear morning with a sunrise over the islands in exchange for the frostbite!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:43 am

anyway of exporting the temperature data out of the fit file? (garmin connect only shows temps to the degree, but I'd say they are recorded to the decimal point somewhere/how)

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:01 pm

I think garmin basecamp might.

kb

Postby kb » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:46 pm

Nope. The temperature field is a signed char (8bit integer)

For easy dumping I'd use Golden Cheetah or if you're more keen you could download the FIT SDK for Java/C/C++ parsers or have a look at fitdump.pm (Perl) and fitparse/fitparse-ng (Python).

Shpox

Postby Shpox » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:20 pm

Do you guys find armwarmers and a jersey are enough to battle the morning frost or do you use them with a gillet or jacket? I'm looking to buy a combo that will serve me through my winter from Wiggle. Would prefer to keep using my current jersey rather than buying a heap of long-sleeve winter ones.

I find the temperate okay for afternoon rides but my body is reacting really weird to it. I find that my teeth and chest hurt more than anything when moving through the air, feet/hands/body are fine.

kb

Postby kb » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:12 pm

Rode up Mt Baw Baw today. Slowly. It was fun ending a climb with snow :-). That was two layers (short knicks and jersey + polypro long sleeves and legs) but with a spray jacket added for the descent. I experimented a bit with footwear and used BNA socks underneath cushiony cotton socks. Seemed to work quite well.

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:34 am

kb wrote:Rode up Mt Baw Baw today. Slowly. It was fun ending a climb with snow :-). That was two layers (short knicks and jersey + polypro long sleeves and legs) but with a spray jacket added for the descent. I experimented a bit with footwear and used BNA socks underneath cushiony cotton socks. Seemed to work quite well.
Well aren't you a lucky camper !
Spare a though for us poor souls up here.
We don't have any reliable snowfall.
In fact the last time there was enough snow to close some of the roads in southern Qld was July 1984

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:18 pm

Paddles wrote:I just ride at gentleman's hours when the sun is well and truly up, just after lunch on a nice Queensland winter's day is magnificent, I don't deal with cold at all well.
Me to, each year I try to stay with the bunch ride in winter,but as I,m retired I find the motivation hard with 4.30am starts!!!
Riding with the sun out (rarely lately) seems so much easier.
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:02 pm

Shpox wrote:Do you guys find armwarmers and a jersey are enough to battle the morning frost or do you use them with a gillet or jacket? I'm looking to buy a combo that will serve me through my winter from Wiggle. Would prefer to keep using my current jersey rather than buying a heap of long-sleeve winter ones.

I find the temperate okay for afternoon rides but my body is reacting really weird to it. I find that my teeth and chest hurt more than anything when moving through the air, feet/hands/body are fine.
I'm not a fan of armwarmers. Kathmandu have some poly baselayers cheaply ATM and these are a lot more versatile (though I prefer wool). I put them under a long sleeved jersey down to about 12 degrees; lower than that I wear 2 under a long sleeved jersey. As the season warms up, do without the base layers or wear one under a short sleeved jersey.

I admit it's easy for us as we start at 5am; it's just as cold leaving as coming home. A long ride (say 6am to 10am) might be a little harder to cover the temperature rise.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:01 pm

barefoot wrote:Appreciate this is aimed at those who are acclimatised to SEQ weather, but the same sequence applies regardless where you are... just at differing thresholds.

In order of application for increasing coldness...

Jersey, knicks, fingerless gloves
Short sleeved or sleeveless base-layer (merino)
Swap short base for long base or add arm warmers
Leg warmers or long over-tights
Long finger gloves
Gilet
Overshoes
Warmer long-finger gloves
Scull cap (may come out earlier depending on head-shave status). I have a few - polypro, merino, fleece - depending how cold.
Rain jacket instead of gilet (rarely - turns into a steam bath pretty quick if riding more than 15 minutes)
Fleece vest (under shell)
Neck muffle thing
Central-heated house and doona ;-)

I'm probably heading out pre-dawn tomorrow, when it's forecast for -1°. Some parts of the loop will probably have pools of -3°-ish air. I'll probably go with the merino scull cap.

tim
We've had a few rather frigid ones in the last few weeks (this morning was claimed to be the coldest in 10 years, with -4°at the airport weather station). The list above still holds up... just.

There's one part of me that consistently gets cold when it's proper cold weather: my bum.

I've got multiple layers up top, warm fleecy lined arm and leg warmers, scull cap, shoe covers, big insulated gloves... and just a single thin layer of lycra over my backside.

I might have to get some fleecy-lined cycling chaps to keep warm :lol: . Or just start layering up with thermal long tights over the knicks instead of the leg warmers.

tim

skull

Postby skull » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:29 pm

My bidon froze this morning. So yeah a little bit cold.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:36 pm

skull wrote:My bidon froze this morning. So yeah a little bit cold.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2
When it's really cold most people I see around fill a small bottle with a hot drink and put it in their back pocket... Keeps the back nice and warm for a while.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:31 am

I'm finding in the current cold weather it's my feet which are getting cold. My hands warm up and the rest of me is fine, just the feet. Oh well, they warm up soon enough when I get to work. The irony is that I've never liked shoes much and normally have a problem with overheating feet.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:33 am

Enjoy:

http://crosswindmissile.blogspot.com.au ... -cold.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite
http://drpcoaching.blogspot.com.au

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:20 am

I'm in Western Sydney here and it's often between 2 and 10 degrees when I ride. My core heats up quite easily so arm warmers, leg warmers, gillet (must have vents and a mesh back), winter gloves and overshoes is what I wear. Have tried those thin wind jackets but even they get too hot for me after about 10 minutes.

One thing I don't get though, how are people still riding around with fingerless gloves in the wee morning?!?!

Edit: err didn't realise this was a qld thread :lol:
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:50 am

NhiTrac wrote:Edit: err didn't realise this was a qld thread :lol:
Yeah, better watch out. Someone will jump in and tell you that 12 degrees is cold for someone who is used to 580° with 2100% humidity...
NhiTrac wrote:One thing I don't get though, how are people still riding around with fingerless gloves in the wee morning?!?!
Not seeing too many fingerless gloves around down in Melbs at the moment. Wore a thermal base layer this morning, for the first time this year. There was ice on the cars in my street when I left home at 07:10, and the sun didn't hit my face until 40 minutes later, but by that time the feeling had returned to my extremities.