Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:40 pm

it's ok Dimma. we're both 15km/h
*phew*

winstonw

Re: The BNA SEQ Weekend Warriors

Postby winstonw » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:53 pm

Dimma wrote:
winstonw wrote:
honestly, I am a weak overweight climber (have climbed it when 92kg...am now 86kg, but should be 78)....and always ride my own tempo. so am usually last up. but I honestly don't find Canungra to Binna burra overly challenging.
Any segment where I only average 14.4km/h I would consider challenging lol
ha...try 6kph up the front and back of Mt Glorious....while zig zagging!
nevertheless, it's the greatest motivator I've found for cutting body fat to sub 10%! :)

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:27 pm

winstonw wrote:
Dimma wrote:
winstonw wrote:
honestly, I am a weak overweight climber (have climbed it when 92kg...am now 86kg, but should be 78)....and always ride my own tempo. so am usually last up. but I honestly don't find Canungra to Binna burra overly challenging.
Any segment where I only average 14.4km/h I would consider challenging lol
ha...try 6kph up the front and back of Mt Glorious....while zig zagging!
nevertheless, it's the greatest motivator I've found for cutting body fat to sub 10%! :)
The front of Glorious is for CityCycles. The back of Glorious is where the real challenge is at :P

singlespeedscott

The BNA SEQ Weekend Warriors

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:33 pm

Lukeyboy wrote: The front of Glorious is for CityCycles. The back of Glorious is where the real challenge is at :P
Challenge Luke. I'd like to see you do the front on a city cycle :P

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:23 pm

I'd do it but I'm sure the brakes won't make it down the hill :P

Maybe we should have a weekend warrior race up Mt Cootha on a CityCycle? Stations 142 and 142 are the closest at Toowong haha
Last edited by Lukeyboy on Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:33 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:I'd do it but I'm sure the brakes won't make it down the hill :P

Maybe we should have a weekend warrior race up Mt Cootha on a CityCycle? haha
I'm so up for that! :D
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:25 am

Would be good for a laugh.

I have been joking with my mates that we should do the B2G and back on some. :lol:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:48 am

singlespeedscott wrote:Would be good for a laugh.

I have been joking with my mates that we should do the B2G and back on some. :lol:
a few guys did the coot-tha challenge on it last year

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:05 pm

There's a CityCycle station at the start line outside the train station. But it's still looking like an all day fee to do that ride on them. Extra kudos if you can get it back to a station before the all day fee applies :P

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:07 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:I'd do it but I'm sure the brakes won't make it down the hill :P

Maybe we should have a weekend warrior race up Mt Cootha on a CityCycle? Stations 142 and 142 are the closest at Toowong haha
I've only got two kneecaps....
and I'm quite fond of both of them at the moment!!

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:50 am

Any MTB riders here keen to hit up the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail sometime for some fun? Some parts are okay for CX bikes but some form of mtb would be best. Roadies aren't advised. If you have a horse you are also welcome to join along :P We could catch the Ipswich/Rosewood train to Wulkuraka/meet there (park at Ipswich and ride to Wulkuraka). We could then either ride on the roads/shared paths to the start of the maintained part of the trail at Wanora or make our way along the original railway line from the Wulkuraka railway station through the rough unmaintained parts to Wanora and continuing on with the ~70km of maintained trail to Toogoolawah. Lunch/refill supplies at the Toogoolawah pub and then head back to Ipswich to catch the train back to Brissie/drive back to Brissie/ride back to Brissie.

http://www.dsdip.qld.gov.au/resources/b ... rt-map.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:20 am

Done the river ride on Citycycles for several years now on Boxing Day - complete with flashing reindeer antlers. Would have to say they are bloody hard work to ride.

I've even seen one going the back way up Coot-Tha.

My tip - select your Citycycle carefully. Many have dragging brakes. Or no brakes.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:04 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Any MTB riders here keen to hit up the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail sometime for some fun? Some parts are okay for CX bikes but some form of mtb would be best. Roadies aren't advised. If you have a horse you are also welcome to join along :P We could catch the Ipswich/Rosewood train to Wulkuraka/meet there (park at Ipswich and ride to Wulkuraka). We could then either ride on the roads/shared paths to the start of the maintained part of the trail at Wanora or make our way along the original railway line from the Wulkuraka railway station through the rough unmaintained parts to Wanora and continuing on with the ~70km of maintained trail to Toogoolawah. Lunch/refill supplies at the Toogoolawah pub and then head back to Ipswich to catch the train back to Brissie/drive back to Brissie/ride back to Brissie.

http://www.dsdip.qld.gov.au/resources/b ... rt-map.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Saw a few people riding on it today when I was coming home from Gatton. It would of been a warm one.

elantra

Postby elantra » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:39 am

Lukeyboy wrote:Any MTB riders here keen to hit up the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail sometime for some fun? Some parts are okay for CX bikes but some form of mtb would be best. Roadies aren't advised. If you have a horse you are also welcome to join along :P We could catch the Ipswich/Rosewood train to Wulkuraka/meet there (park at Ipswich and ride to Wulkuraka). We could then either ride on the roads/shared paths to the start of the maintained part of the trail at Wanora or make our way along the original railway line from the Wulkuraka railway station through the rough unmaintained parts to Wanora and continuing on with the ~70km of maintained trail to Toogoolawah. Lunch/refill supplies at the Toogoolawah pub and then head back to Ipswich to catch the train back to Brissie/drive back to Brissie/ride back to Brissie.

I'd love to say yes but the closer we get to Christmas the less free time i have and also the more difficult is the weather. :|

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:30 pm

So B2GC tomorrow....hopefully the showers won't eventuate and the SE'ly will be kind enough to stay away til after 9am.

what's everyone eating and drinking? I'm inspired by durianrider - eating nothing for first hour, then each hour after either dates or a banana.
my drink is lemon barley cordial with sea salt, lite salt, rennies antacid tablets, BCAAs, and beta alanine added....and bicarb of soda.

will have coffee and sandwich and up to 1 hour break before riding back.

dinner tonight is cream of cauliflower soup, and small piece of salmon, rice, and vege.
breaky is 1 litre electrolyte, quinoa porridge, a green smoothie, and coffee.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:25 pm

winstonw wrote:what's everyone eating and drinking? I'm inspired by durianrider - eating nothing for first hour, then each hour after either dates or a banana.
my drink is lemon barley cordial with sea salt, lite salt, rennies antacid tablets, BCAAs, and beta alanine added....and bicarb of soda.
Some kind of sports drink, gels, lollies, fruit cake and a chewy bar 8)
dinner tonight is cream of cauliflower soup, and small piece of salmon, rice, and vege.
Burger! 8)

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:30 pm

Tonight Pasta x 2
Tomorrow nothing special.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:59 pm

Dinner for me is smoked salmon, kitchari rice and some blanched greens. Breakfast will be a banana, apple and a glass of milk. I'll have a muesli bar and some dates when I get to Brissie.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:52 am

Just about to head off from home. Good luck to everyone, have fun and ride safe.

Say g'day if you see me. I'll be wearing a blue/cream Noisa Strada Bianche Jersey and riding a grey/silver Geoff Scott "Clamont".

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:00 am

safe riding and good luck all....
I'm riding a blue and white trek madone, and wearing lotto belisol kit with red helmet and shoes, and trying to start no further back than 300 from the front of the reds.

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:51 am

Gave a good ride this morning. I'm about 5m off the start of the red category. So should anyone pass a guy on a Chinese fm098 in a BABA jersey say hello.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:02 pm

I saw a crash right in front of me, not too far from the end maybe 10km back or so? Hope the guy is ok :( Maybe about 30-35kmh at that point and he went down (not sure why). The rider next to me went right, I went right (nowhere else to go), and a second later somebody coming from behind almost took me out by colliding with my shoulder and arm. There was enough in the impact to pop me out of the cleats and give me a big wobble, I'm glad I didn't go down (and that my bike is ok!).

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:17 pm

Pork, chicken and lamb cooked on a spit with a side of some hard boiled eggs/pasta topped off with some fantastic rich gravy that went beautifully well with the lamb, pork and chicken :)
I saw a crash right in front of me,
Good to hear that you didn't go down. Multiple crashes in the one crash always happen in these very large group rides for some reason. I tend to put it down to those people that aren't experienced in group riding at a fast pace while treating it as if they are in a peleton at the Tour de France so as something up ahead happens some don't react as fast mainly due to them being busy focused on the wheel directly in front of them. I got this crash from last years ride.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:30 pm

You know, it's not that hard to ride in a bunch, you just need to pay attention to what's going on around you and in front of you, plus don't make sudden moves. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:09 pm

I'm surprised there weren't more crashes. There were plenty of "orange" and "blue" riders who somehow got onto the course before most of the "reds". It really made it dangerous especially on the slight inclines around the course. My group got caught behind a lot of them and they really make it dangerous by slowing down randomly or not understanding that braking at the last second before getting to a corner isn't a good idea.

Glad to have completed my first ride to the Gold Coast, but I wasn't too happy with the staggering of the different classes, hopefully it gets sorted out next year.