The BNA SEQ Weekend Warriors

foo on patrol

Re: The BNA SEQ Weekend Warriors

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:38 am

Be very careful about that road, Idry! :wink: Very rough, narrow, blind corners, not wide enough for a car and truck to pass on without almost scraping the embankment in places. If you want my advice..........don't do it! :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:40 am

But it would be much less traffic than the highway between Toowoomba and Warwick wouldn't it? The only other option would be Cunningham's Gap, and no way in hell i'm riding there.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:01 am

Maybe less traffic but like I said, narrow, rough and blind corners with no room if you have someone coming towards you and another comes up from behind. :wink: I would ride up Cunninghams Gap, before riding that road, more room and vision + better road. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:16 am

Just hit up Street View, it looks better than the old Stanthorpe Rd :) . And at least it isn't dirt! Cunningham's Gap would be getting pretty steep for the old Local, not to mention the traffic on there, and i just realised going through Toowoomba would mean coming from Crows Nest way, the ups and downs on that road would drive me batty.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:32 am

I did Cunninghams on 42x18 with no dramas back in the day and that was after riding from Ipswich-Peak Crossing-Harrisville and out to the Hi-way and then rode halfway back down and up again. Trust me, I know Gatton to Clifton road extremely well and there are more trucks and wanna be racers use that road than street view will show you. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:06 pm

foo on patrol wrote:I did Cunninghams on 42x18 with no dramas back in the day and that was after riding from Ipswich-Peak Crossing-Harrisville and out to the Hi-way and then rode halfway back down and up again. Trust me, I know Gatton to Clifton road extremely well and there are more trucks and wanna be racers use that road than street view will show you. :wink:

Foo
Agree on the trucks Foo. They use to always sneak up on me around the bends. If it wasn't for them it would actually be a nice road to ride. Bloody trucks :twisted: (says he who is suppose to get his multi-combination licence for work this month :mrgreen: )

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:24 pm

Yep and I would still ride the Cunningham ahead of that road. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

RonK

The BNA SEQ Weekend Warriors

Postby RonK » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:59 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Just hit up Street View, it looks better than the old Stanthorpe Rd :) . And at least it isn't dirt! Cunningham's Gap would be getting pretty steep for the old Local, not to mention the traffic on there, and i just realised going through Toowoomba would mean coming from Crows Nest way, the ups and downs on that road would drive me batty.
I've travelled that road at warp speed by motorcycle many times, and ridden the Cunningham Classic, and wouldn't hesitate to cycle it again. It is a bit narrow but very pretty along Heifer Creek. The hill is nothing, just a couple of switchbacks. The wind is likely to be more challenging from around Pilton on.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

elantra

Postby elantra » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:05 am

RonK wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:Just hit up Street View, it looks better than the old Stanthorpe Rd :) . And at least it isn't dirt! Cunningham's Gap would be getting pretty steep for the old Local, not to mention the traffic on there, and i just realised going through Toowoomba would mean coming from Crows Nest way, the ups and downs on that road would drive me batty.
I've travelled that road at warp speed by motorcycle many times, and ridden the Cunningham Classic, and wouldn't hesitate to cycle it again. It is a bit narrow but very pretty along Heifer Creek. The hill is nothing, just a couple of switchbacks. The wind is likely to be more challenging from around Pilton on.
Yes that would be my experience also.
It is the route of the KPCC Cunningham Classic, and i have driven car up that road as recently as 4 years ago, when it was in pretty good condition, allowing for some damage to bridges from the 2011 floods.
Back in the 70's and 80's a lot of trucks would go that way into NSW, but not so many these days since the upgrades to the more major routes.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:19 am

Riding this road in a race is totally different = (signs stating cyclists ahead drive with caution) riding solo is totally different and I have driven this road in the truck in the last six months but whatever, you can choose to take my advice or not but is a risk I would not take. :roll:

Foo
Goal 6000km

elantra

Postby elantra » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:04 am

foo on patrol wrote:Riding this road in a race is totally different = (signs stating cyclists ahead drive with caution) riding solo is totally different and I have driven this road in the truck in the last six months but whatever, you can choose to take my advice or not but is a risk I would not take. :roll:

Foo
OK point taken, perhaps the best way to ride (unsupported) up to the Downs would be from Boonah (Via Mt. Alford and Carneys Ck) to Killarney.
Only about 1000 metres of climbing this way :shock:

P.S. just checked with Strava segment explore, going Carneys Ck to Killarney via The Head and Queen Mary Falls adds up to a staggering 1396 metres climbed !

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:06 pm

I've never had a problem going up through Ma Ma Creek on the Gatton-Clifton Rd but I'd do the Carneys/Head Rd option anyday. FAR nicer scenery. Okay, it's got a little rise in it but a much nicer way to go.
Also, if you're going to Killarney, throw some 28's on and take Condamine River Rd when you get up the hill. You might have a couple of creek crossings (about 12 the last time we went through), but it's very worthwhile! :D
Throw some Mtb shoes/pedals on if in doubt. You won't regret it.

elantra

Postby elantra » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:33 pm

Smithstreet wrote:I've never had a problem going up through Ma Ma Creek on the Gatton-Clifton Rd but I'd do the Carneys/Head Rd option anyday. FAR nicer scenery. Okay, it's got a little rise in it but a much nicer way to go.
Also, if you're going to Killarney, throw some 28's on and take Condamine River Rd when you get up the hill. You might have a couple of creek crossings (about 12 the last time we went through), but it's very worthwhile! :D
Throw some Mtb shoes/pedals on if in doubt. You won't regret it.
Those "creek" crossings :|
A few years ago i was up there with a friend who told me that he had a lot of experience MTB riding in the wilds of Canada, you know, contending with black bears and grizzlies etc.
I told him there would be a few creek crossing which he would have to get off and walk
He looked at me disparagingly and tried to ride through the first one.
The result was not successful :lol:
After 14 of those i gave him the option of returning to Killarney the same way or doing the high (sealed) road over the top.
He chose the latter :D Only slight problem is the CATTLE GRID on the descent from Queen Mary's to Killarney

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:38 pm

Bunnyhop?? Pretty sure I did that on the cattle grid on Mt French? :P

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:45 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Bunnyhop?? Pretty sure I did that on the cattle grid on Mt French? :P
all i remember from Mt French is a dog that wanted to "play"

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:51 pm

Which one? The one at the top or the one at the bottom?? Or the one at Boonah :P

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:10 pm

the one actually on Mount French

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:05 pm

A few grids around where I live I always bunnyhop them.

Lachlan, if I was going up to the Downs from your place I would be taking the Toogoolawah Birra rd from Toogoolawah onto The Bluff rd and follow that up to Crows Nest. From there make your way along some back roads to Warwick. Speak to Smithstreet I'm sure he knows of a route.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:36 pm

For those that wussed out on doing the ride here is the view you missed on Mt French.

And the dog Jason is talking about.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:30 pm

It had a big bark, honest

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:37 pm

jasonc wrote:It had a big bark, honest
With 'Beast' written on the dog collar.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:43 pm

15kg bike with 3 gears, I'm more likely to ride through the Korean demilitarized zone than over the head of the Condamine. :)

Scott, i had looked at The Bluff Rd but the final climb of 3.7k at 7% average had ruled it out for me. Is it actually steep though? I've driven Esk-Hampton Rd, so i know i don't want to go up there on a long ride.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:48 pm

I've only done it once in the car and that was years ago so my memory is pretty dim. I just thought it would be a nice quiet way there. What are you worried about the weight for anyway? I thought you liked grinding it :)

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:14 pm

Yea but this is the Local, she don't climb. And i've just swapped the Shimano hub for a Sturmey, so the already inadequate 1st gear is now more than an inch taller :) . Top is 2 inches shorter though, which will make that much more usable.

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:16 pm

ldrcycles wrote:15kg bike with 3 gears, I'm more likely to ride through the Korean demilitarized zone than over the head of the Condamine. :)
Oh well, your loss. :wink:

Mate, you're running out of riding time. Make 'em all count!

When that screaming sh*t machine comes along you'll be wishing you were doing repeats of the Gibb River Road!! :shock: :lol: