The BNA SEQ Weekend Warriors

winstonw

Re: The BNA SEQ Weekend Warriors

Postby winstonw » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:34 pm

cx is still evolving methinks.
here's some food for thought re tires.
http://www.cxmagazine.com/category/cycl ... r-tubeless" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:32 pm

Well that got me googling, and I came across this http://www.rodbikes.com/articles/650-speed.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I'm definitely warming to the idea now, i'll have to get some pics of the frame and start a thread haha. I'm thinking of using Retroshift levers too, as I really liked using the 3 speed Sturmey shifter on the Local and that's a somewhat similar action.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

K2

Postby K2 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:57 am

winstonw wrote: edit:
for anyone wanting to get a few flat k's in, imho, Bris to Gold Coast via Logan Rd, service roads, and Hope Island Rd is very low traffic before 8am. Lots of riders out too. Coming back is very quiet until you get to Logan Rd, which has adequate shoulder....the traffiic lights on it are the biggest pain.
If you want to add a few more bumps, or just vary the return, try detouring down Kingston Rd at the Big Gun Underwood and through to Beenleigh where there are several options for getting to the V1, or vica versa for return. Adds a few more traffic lights too though. Mostly good shoulders but you have to play with the big boys through a few sections...most notably the railway overpass at Kingston and crossing the Logan River at Waterford.

Coming from Beenleigh there's a nice, pretty consistent, 1.7k long ramp up over Edens Landing. The view over the top is probably one of the better of the locale. Going southwards the hill is shorter/steeper. The hill on the old highway past the the cemetery at Kingsholme is likely the biggest bump on that southern section. The one over Edens Landing is a bit over double that (distance/timewise; not cubic metres :) ) and a fairly similar profile.

BTW, I've seen a few descriptions of this route as flat, often in relation to the B2GC. For you folk who are clocking up big k's or the mountain goats amongst you, I'm sure it is, but your average person who gets a bit adventurous occasionally might be cursing that description when they arrive at the aforementioned cemetery hill (and the associated "steps" up to the Ormeau roundabout on the return). I regularly see riding partners (and some groups) getting separated tackling those bumps, and even on the smaller two before Dreamworld. Flat to people like me is once you get down to Hope Island where the biggest bumps are the bridges. :) (Not having a go. I noted the "imho" and realise it's meant in a scale of things sense. Just thought it worth a mention as there's often folk heading down that way who are clearly struggling.)

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:52 pm

If anyone's interested I'm organising a Rapha ride on Fri 27th Dec, 0530 from Springwood Maccas.
Approx 200km Logan Village, Mt Tamborine, Currumbin, the back via Hope Island, Service Rds.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:04 pm

Bugger, i'm still working :( .

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:47 pm

that means leaving home around 3am for me. think i'd get shot

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:05 pm

jasonc wrote:that means leaving home around 3am for me. think i'd get shot
On my way to provide suppressive fire.

Scott might be able to provide his demolition expertise as a distraction.

:lol: :lol:

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:28 am

Dimma wrote:If anyone's interested I'm organising a Rapha ride on Fri 27th Dec, 0530 from Springwood Maccas.
Approx 200km Logan Village, Mt Tamborine, Currumbin, the back via Hope Island, Service Rds.
Would have loved to if in town, but we're tackling Baw Baw that day! :shock: (apparently it's a bit steep)

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:42 pm

Hello ladies. Just wondering if some here want to get together for another warrior ride and enjoy the sights that Queensland has to offer. Maybe something like Ipswich-Rosewood/Grandchester down to Boonah for morning tea/lunch and back to Ipswich. We could make the depart time a little after the arrival of the first train just to make getting there for the start easier. Drive there, ride there or train there. One option might be to train to Ipswich for the start, ride out to Boonah and back and then depending on how you feel train or ride back to Brisbane. The train line is beside the route back to Brisbane City so if you run out of gas/have a big mechanical failure on the way back jumping on a train is a easy option. For perspective the route would be a modified version of this - http://www.strava.com/routes/104763" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If some here want a mtb option we could also do the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail. It's not particularly hilly as it follows an old railway line but it would be fun to do. Stop in at a few pubs along the way for refreshments and food. Make a day of it :)

Who knows. These could be your GrandFondo ride for March/April/May.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:30 pm

I'm looking at doing a ride on sunday the 23rd down in the hills behind the goldy. Plan is to start in Canungra with O'Reilly's and back, then up the back of Beechmont to Binna Burra and back. Roughly 124kms, so short enough to go hard on the climbs :) .

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:54 am

If you to Granchester, then ride up the range towards Laidley or go out to Mt Mort for even more hills. I used to live at Grandchester straight down from the Sawmill and the pub always had good beer and a feed when it was on.
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:56 am

Oh if you go to Boonah, then ride out to Maroon Dam for a good workout! :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:16 am

lukeyboy - i like the look of that one. got a date in mind?

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:40 am

No dates as such yet. Just throwing it out there so we can get one organised for a weekend. Maybe some time in April/May when it's not too cold but not too hot?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:44 am

Lukeyboy wrote:No dates as such yet. Just throwing it out there so we can get one organised for a weekend. Maybe some time in April/May when it's not too cold but not too hot?
first weekend in May is the coot-tha challenge so don't make it that weekend. 2 weeks after that would be ideal me thinks

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:23 pm

jasonc wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:No dates as such yet. Just throwing it out there so we can get one organised for a weekend. Maybe some time in April/May when it's not too cold but not too hot?
first weekend in May is the coot-tha challenge so don't make it that weekend. 2 weeks after that would be ideal me thinks
I might be in for this. Possibly. :)
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:38 pm

Yeah I'm keen gents

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:12 pm

ldrcycles wrote:I'm looking at doing a ride on sunday the 23rd down in the hills behind the goldy. Plan is to start in Canungra with O'Reilly's and back, then up the back of Beechmont to Binna Burra and back. Roughly 124kms, so short enough to go hard on the climbs :) .
Any interest in bumping it up to 160km to get your Gran Fondo up for the month, or have you done it? Could always throw in Mystery Rd or HRD to get the kms.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:09 pm

Smithstreet wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:I'm looking at doing a ride on sunday the 23rd down in the hills behind the goldy. Plan is to start in Canungra with O'Reilly's and back, then up the back of Beechmont to Binna Burra and back. Roughly 124kms, so short enough to go hard on the climbs :) .
Any interest in bumping it up to 160km to get your Gran Fondo up for the month, or have you done it? Could always throw in Mystery Rd or HRD to get the kms.
I'll be planning on making it a double

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:32 pm

320km Jason? Good stuff.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:06 pm

No way i'll be doing more than those 2 when some of the longest climbs in the state are involved, at least not with my current 'fitness' :) . My climbing legs usually desert me after about 120k.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:35 pm

As long as you don't try to smash every ascent I think you would be fine Lachlan.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:34 am

singlespeedscott wrote:320km Jason? Good stuff.
i was thinking more along the lines of 200kms. not as nuts as you SSS

now to convince the mrs

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:57 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:As long as you don't try to smash every ascent I think you would be fine Lachlan.
But smashing every climb is the whole idea :D .

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:39 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:As long as you don't try to smash every ascent I think you would be fine Lachlan.
But smashing every climb is the whole idea :D .
Not if you want to survive and enjoy the ride :D