The BNA SEQ Weekend Warriors

Lukeyboy

Re: The BNA SEQ Weekend Warriors

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:53 pm

Sounds good :) I might get there first coming from the Northside so if anbiribabot or any others here are thinking about tagging along and if there are other groups waiting there I can be spotted wearing the Team Orica Green Edge kit with black arm/leg screens with an Giant aero bike.

CaptainSlow

Postby CaptainSlow » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:36 pm

Have fun boys, other commitment s have ruled me out for this one unfortunately.

Loking forward to the post ride report detailing the suffering!

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:08 pm

Certainly was a great and enjoyable ride today. Traffic was so so. Most gave plenty of width but like usual there were some top blokes between Samford and Dayboro. Some slowed right down. Some crossed over the double lines to give plenty of room. But then there were a few that decided to see how close they could get or not even bother lifting off the throttle in the 100 zone. The two worst offenders was some guy on a white motorbike who refused to adjust his line and rode in the middle of the lane (no shoulder/broken up bits of the edge of the road and we were riding between the broken edges of the road-left wheel track) and some bozo in a Honda 4x4 (buzzed by the car a second before but the Honda driver wanted to get closer). We took one detour to get around a good portion of the traffic but it looks like we'll have to find another quiet route for the last half or at least attempt it during the week when traffic is better. I was treating the 3.7k of Climbing as a recovery ride after Saturday crits so I wasn't too fast up the constant climbs but the views around various points pretty much the entire way more than made up for that. The highlight was heading to the Mt Mee lookout and going over the crest in the road to see a few mountains, Redcliffe, Caboolture, Bribie Island and the ocean off in the distance. It was a little smokey because of possible backburning from Woodford way so it wasn't as visible as it normally is but still a fantastic view.

Heading up towards Mt Nebo this morning.

After I got home it didn't take long till I fell asleep haha.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:17 pm

When I've gone along that Samford/Dayboro rd I use Kriesch/Hipathites roads and Kobble Creek/Watson/Armstrong Creek/Lees Crossing/Laidlaw roads. A lot more lumpy but next to no traffic with better scenery and little wind.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:01 am

Yeah. We went via Old Mt Samson Road which I regularly use during the busier times for the first part but because of the great road surface just out of Samford the rubber band on my GPS broke so it was difficult to see the map to double check for the second part. I've only used Kriesch/Hipathites road once or twice before and when I did it was unsealed in the middle but it was smooth compacted gravel so roadies wouldn't have issues with punctures/binning it/have problems (I think they might have sealed it now because during the ITT there were piles of that lose tarmac gravel nearby. It would have been better but I mixed up the roads (confused it with Kobble Creek Road) and only realized my mistake once we got to the Hipathites road turn off.

I might have to get out there later in the week and check out Armstrong Creek/Kobble Creek road.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:32 am

The Kriesch/Hipathites rds are now fully sealed.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:03 am

Climbing Nebo...

El Pistolero dances away at the slightest of inclines...

Post race cramps set in for Lukey...

Mt Mee lookout...

albertgaleano

Postby albertgaleano » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:56 am

Thanks Lukeyboy and Crawf for the ride!!! Great effort, all that pain was worth it for the views. First time for me up Mt Mee and loved it, can wait for our next challenge and Crawf thanks for the tow for nearly 200kms :D

jack11

Postby jack11 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:15 pm

Wow that is a seriously impressive ride guys! would love to be able to make that sort of distance and altitude gain.

CaptainSlow

Postby CaptainSlow » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:15 am

Top effort on Sunday boys - very impressive!

Don't suppose any of you have the day off Friday and are looking for some more pain.. I've got the day off and am tentatively planning a Tamborine/O'Reillys trip, driving to Tambo township then heading off from there. Something like http://app.strava.com/routes/20663" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

albertgaleano

Postby albertgaleano » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:34 pm

Sorry mate, don't think I have the legs for more punishment yet :)

CaptainSlow

Postby CaptainSlow » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:17 pm

Haha no worries mate. It was a long shot anyway being on a Friday!

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:05 pm

I think Lukeyboy would get less cramps if he went to bed at a decent hour, ate more veges, and drank more electrolyte. ;)

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:30 pm

I'd be keen but I got a few things to do that arvo so I might try to squeeze in a ride up a mountain like Mt Coot-tha/Mt Nebo/Mt Glorious depending on the time. Not to mention I can't legally drive :P
winstonw wrote:I think Lukeyboy would get less cramps if he went to bed at a decent hour, ate more veges, and drank more electrolyte. ;)
Haha. If they are chopped up into a nice home made pizza or pasta I will but no fancy salads for me :P I just woke up the next day and the legs didn't want to work when it came to prolonged climbs. Going down those same hills however was a different story (It's still crazy feeling the speed difference between my 2 roadies when it comes to coasting/maintaining speed in the aerodynamic position down hills). Cresting Ocean View road I unclipped to stretch a little then got a cramp in the right leg. Then that same leg kept cramping pretty much all the way to where Albertgaleano and Crawf were waiting for me :P

Ryanhyltoncummins

Postby Ryanhyltoncummins » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:53 pm

did anybody strava sunday's ride so i/we can see what sort of pace you where riding at?

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:00 pm

Just a gentle pace http://www.strava.com/activities/80877341" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:35 am

Given this is the "SEQ" weekend warriors thread, if anyone's interested in something a little further afield the unofficial Warwick to Stanthorpe steam train race is on again on November 30. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=63180" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Traditionally the cyclists only raced the train from Dalveen (20k out of Stanthorpe), as far as I know i'm the only one to have raced it from Warwick so far. Not all that long a race at 60k but there are a lot of hills (one in particular called One Tree Hill is an absolute killer) and about 10k of gravel, some very smooth, some rough as guts. The gravel section probably wouldn't be much fun on anything smaller than 700x25, I used 27 x 1-1/4.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:52 am

I'm organising another Binna Burra loop in the near future if any of you guys would be interested.
Depending on how everyone's feeling on the day we could come back over the goat track, or not like last time.

http://app.strava.com/activities/73489291" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:33 pm

I'm keen. Never ventured into the southside mountains on a bicycle before :P

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:30 pm

Luke add Best of all lookout, Binna Burra, Mt Tamborine (x4) & O'Reilly's to ur riding bucket list

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:19 pm

Dimma wrote:Luke add Best of all lookout, Binna Burra, Mt Tamborine (x4) & O'Reilly's to ur riding bucket list
and ascents of Henry Roberts Drive and Pine Creek Rd!!! :shock:

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:21 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:I'm keen. Never ventured into the southside mountains on a bicycle before :P
No excuse for cramps tomorrow Luke, based on today's race. :P
what happened!?

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:40 pm

Yep. No excuses tomorrow :P I ate too many pizzas this week with not alot of riding :lol: Nah, the pace was hovering around the 35-40's from the start. As I started to make my way to the front from the back again (first time got caught out by a rider dropping back all the way from the front) but this time it was going up the hill as it was getting a tad bit messy. Just as I got to the top they blew the whistle for the prime (used a tad bit more energy than I wanted to in that process). I was already making my way to the front so I thought I might aswell do a little attack but was left out to dry. I quickly drifted back to get out of the wind and that's when the pace was ramped up. Going down the hill a small gap opened up and with the wind I couldn't close it back again due to the pace increasing for the prime (silly on my part). Tried to close the gap down but ended up blowing up. Recovered and I just set my own pace hoping that they would slow down/play silly buggers with the wind along the straight so I could catch up but that didn't end up being the case. Bit of a shame but I'll bring my A game next time in 2 weeks. Might have to visit the mountain of Mt Glorious for some training.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:43 pm

Dimma wrote:Luke add Best of all lookout, Binna Burra, Mt Tamborine (x4) & O'Reilly's to ur riding bucket list
Yeah. I've planned a lot of routes down there that I'd like to do but I just haven't had the chance to get around to doing any of them unfortunately.

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:09 pm

winstonw wrote:
and ascents of Henry Roberts Drive and Pine Creek Rd!!! :shock:
Yep as I said