The BNA SEQ Weekend Warriors

Lukeyboy

Re: The BNA SEQ Weekend Warriors

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:18 pm

Yeah. Between 4-5am from Anzac Park would be ideal as it's well before a lot of the heat and because the sun is already starting to come up around 4.30 now.

13 hours for 300km works out to be a average of 23kph so a 23kph average should be pretty doable for a gentlemans ride even with the amount of climbing to be expected. I'd say rest/catch up points and time spent there would be minimal compared to other rides that we have done but I'd say they should normally be at the top of the steep climbs so we can all get a quick breather and regroup before the next leg (eg Camp Mountain lookout and Mt O'Riley Road combined has roughly a ~250m elevation gain over about 1.5km of road). If we averaged 24kph at the minimum that puts the route at a 12 hour ride. Chuck in an hour for catch up points at the top of steep climbs/lunch and that would make a 13 hour ride. For a speed comparison the last 2 rides we have done we have averaged 25.5kph which would be 11h20m on the saddle. I'm not too fussed on the total time so if we end up having longer breaks through out the ride there's always southbank to stop at for a few drinks. The sight of a bunch of cyclists turning up to the plough inn wearing lycra ordering some beers and hot chips would be quite interesting for those that normally associate us as coffee drinkers :P

I'd say a good place to have lunch would be at Dayboro before hitting Mt Mee for the first time. Grab some tasty goodies from the bakery. Grab some food/drinks from the IGA. Refill bottles. Use the toilets etc.

Elevation on Strava can be a bit weird especially when compared with the garmin readout. Sometimes the GPS is too much and Strava is correct while other times it can be the other way around.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:54 pm

when it gets closer to the day, I'll see if I can do a bit of vehicle support. rides like these benefit heaps from having back up wheelsets, a full toolkit, most spares, food, 30 bananas!, electrolyte, sunscreen, toilet paper, anti-cramp lotion...hahaha...

personally, I think you're going to have to be tight with your breaks, can't believe you'll average (or want to) >23.5kph. speed won't matter on this ride....it's more a test of endurance...so pacing yourself and keeping the fuel flowing will be paramount. guys who try and keep the pace high often fall apart around 5pm.

btw, I can vouch for SS as capable of doing this ride....as could most who know him well. And Luke I have no doubt you are up for it too, you skinny bastard. :)

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:14 pm

Hahahahaha!

I think 23.5 should easily be doable over the entire distance I reckon. The majority of the climbing would be gradual. The really difficult sections would be the back of Glorious, a couple pinches and the back of Mt Mee, Camp Mountain lookout, Mt O'Riley Road, the little pinch on the other side of Camp Mountain and Clear Mountain. In saying that I reckon we would all lose time hand over fist on Dayboro-Brisbane :P

CaptainSlow

Postby CaptainSlow » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:19 am

Have you ridden up Mt O'Reilly rd Luke? I drove up it one day and, well, I'm not sure I'd want to try and ride it when not fresh..

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:00 am

My dad and his brother were talking to me about it once so I went and checked it out. Got to the bottom and said "I'm not doing this on a 25" and rode back to Samford/back home :P

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:02 pm

I really think you will struggle to average 22km/hr with a large group. I guess it will depend on the fitness of your weakest rider. Then again most who would even contemplate a ride like this should have a reasonable level of fitness.

Your breaks really will have to be minimal over a distance like this if you want to complete it in a reasonable time. I'm talking about pulling up, refilling your bidden, a quick bite to eat and on, on. My ride on the weekend was similar in distance and climbing and of the total 12hrs I only spent 55" on breaks. And these break/check points were fully supported. No scrambling for food in jerseys/packs or searching for taps to refill water. Just in and out. Just something to think about.

You definitely need to include Campbell's Pocket in your route Luke. I also agree that Ocean view rd. is a much nicer road then the normal ascent of mt Mee. But it is a lot tougher, especially if your already got a lot of km's in the legs.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:54 pm

I'm such an optistmic haha.

albertgaleano

Postby albertgaleano » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:08 pm

We could do some training on Coot-tha , 23 November for the "Project Declan Mt Coot-tha Challenge"...Do as many laps as you can between 6am to 4pm, cost is $50 which supports the charity :D Should be able to get some elevation during that time!!

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:21 pm

Racing that day is on at Lakesdie so it looks like I'll be at Mt Coottha bright and early for a long day on the saddle doing repeats :P

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:05 pm

albertgaleano wrote:We could do some training on Coot-tha , 23 November for the "Project Declan Mt Coot-tha Challenge"...Do as many laps as you can between 6am to 4pm, cost is $50 which supports the charity :D Should be able to get some elevation during that time!!

Would love to join you but I'm doing a 250k'er to Noosa (the long way) that day so looks like we're all getting some kind of a warm-up for the 30th.
Don't forget to taper though.
Which basically means a couple of beers on Friday the 29th!!! :P
SSS, I'm hearing ya' when you talk about the total elapsed time of the ride. I think a 22-23kmh average is not far off the mark, BUT, that is moving pace.
In my experience, a ride like that is going to have 2 hours of 'downtime' ie rests, waiting for other riders, drinks, food etc, maybe more. But that's okay, it's not about getting back home by a certain time, or to brag about how quickly you got through it. It IS an endurance ride! Forget about Strava PR's. IF we get through it, that in itself is enough kudos.
Having said that, we shouldn't be put off by starting even earlier than 4.30. Just go to bed earlier the night before!
Believe me, if the forecast is for 28c or above that day, any progress out of the heat is a bonus!

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:00 pm

Yeah, it's not about about strava PR's but that will 100% going flying out the window when we turn onto the road that leads up to the Camp Mountain Lookout and Mt O'Rileys road thanks to the short distances involved :lol: :lol: :lol:

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:00 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Yeah, it's not about about strava PR's but that will 100% going flying out the window when we turn onto the road that leads up to the Camp Mountain Lookout and Mt O'Rileys road thanks to the short distances involved :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, go for it Luke. :wink:

I'll be pacing myself. And, I've only got 2 kneecaps, which I'm quite fond of.
Might be needin' em for a few more years yet! :|

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:13 pm

:P On our first BNA group ride up to Mt Glorious we all said we were going to go up nice and easy, we had sore climbing legs, don't like climbing, running a 23 on the rear etc etc but on the very very first bit of crest in the road just metres from the start of the run to Mt Nebo we were all suddenly roaring up the hill doing 30-35kph overtaking each other as if we were at the tour de france fighting for the finish line. After a bit we all settled down but it was still hilarious. Not that good at climbing my ass :lol:

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:42 pm

agree that one of the best strategies for this ride is not make commitments before midnight Saturday. That way you can't use excuses like "I've got to bail....have a dinner/party to get to" ..... I hate that

If you all give yourselves heaps of time to finish, then that'll take the pressure massively.

As for Strava records....they're a crock. though the suffer score will be more than likely go over 800, a rare thing.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:11 pm

When would you next be looking at doing a ride like this? I'd love to give it a crack but i'm already committed to doing the steam train thing out west (followed by a tweed run in Toowoomba in the arvo btw http://www.toowoombatweedrun.com/ :D ).
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:27 pm

Amd here I was thinking it was a Toowoomba to Tweed Heads ride :P

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:39 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Amd here I was thinking it was a Toowoomba to Tweed Heads ride :P

Don't you go giving me ideas! :lol:
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:26 pm

If you are truly humble, I'd suggest it's worth spreading the word for this ride, to HPRW facebook. Guys like Mitch Neumann thrive on this stuff. :D
And if you really want to ramp things, let UQCC know. You might get Kristian Juel or Correy Edmed interested! :shock:

Always remember LukeyBoy, you only grow as a rider amongst stronger riders! :)

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:22 am

You said a gentlemans pace Bruce. For those guys it would be a normal training ride.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:47 am

I thought the idea of a gentlemans ride was that everyone stuck together, the time and speed went flying out the window, enjoy the challenges and views along the ride, go to places you normally wouldn't go or areas that aren't as frequently visited, rode around with a cig in your mouth and a beer in the bindon while having a couple race your mate sprints up a hill on a dead end street? :P

laterstarter

Postby laterstarter » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:02 pm

Wow - had a look through this post after our chat yesterday Phil. But bugger it I'm in Wandoan that week. Good work on nutting the ride out Lukeyboy.

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:22 pm

laterstarter wrote:Wow - had a look through this post after our chat yesterday Phil. But bugger it I'm in Wandoan that week. Good work on nutting the ride out Lukeyboy.

No chance of re-scheduling Scott?
This challenge is right for you. :D

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:24 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:I thought the idea of a gentlemans ride was that everyone stuck together, the time and speed went flying out the window, enjoy the challenges and views along the ride, go to places you normally wouldn't go or areas that aren't as frequently visited, rode around with a cig in your mouth and a beer in the bindon while having a couple race your mate sprints up a hill on a dead end street? :P

That's pretty much how I'd describe a gents ride. Not sure about the cigarette, but I'm up for the beers!! 8)

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:27 pm

ldrcycles wrote:When would you next be looking at doing a ride like this? I'd love to give it a crack but i'm already committed to doing the steam train thing out west (followed by a tweed run in Toowoomba in the arvo btw http://www.toowoombatweedrun.com/ :D ).

Might have to see how this one pans out before committing to the NEXT one!! :shock: But I get a feeling this could be the beginning of some sort of 'crazy ride' trend! :lol:

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:59 pm

Smithstreet wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:I thought the idea of a gentlemans ride was that everyone stuck together, the time and speed went flying out the window, enjoy the challenges and views along the ride, go to places you normally wouldn't go or areas that aren't as frequently visited, rode around with a cig in your mouth and a beer in the bindon while having a couple race your mate sprints up a hill on a dead end street? :P

That's pretty much how I'd describe a gents ride. Not sure about the cigarette, but I'm up for the beers!! 8)

Four months after the ‘final shots' of World War 1 were fired bicycle racing in Belgium returned with the Tour of Flanders. Very talented Belgian rider Henri "Ritte" Van Lerberghe, second in 1914, arrived directly from his military post to the start line in Gent . Van Lerberghe had no bicycle but managed to borrow one from a relative of racer Jules Messelis.

Just before the start of the race "Ritte" shouted: "I will ride you all to hell !!!" Race favorite Jules Vanhevel had the best laugh on hearing the declaration and "Ritte" replied to him: "You shouldn't laugh because I'll ride you off my wheel in front of your own house!!!"

True to his opening declaration Van Lerberghe kept his promise and attacked on a hill in the Town of Ichtegem (hometown of Jules Vanhevel!!!). Amused by the theatrics, the other racers let him have the initial breakaway. By the time the peloton realized the size of the gap and started to chase him, it was too late. "Ritte" was too far ahead.

Steadily in heavy North Sea winds he rode away and with the velodrome finish line in sight Van Lerberghe stopped at a local pub and simply ordered a "Demie" (a demie is Belgian blond beer). It tasted so good he ordered another and then another. Race official Oscar Van Braeckel noticed "Ritte" sitting in the pub and he summoned Van Lerberghe's coach to fetch him.

After considerable persuasion Van Lerberghe's coach succeeded in dragging him from the pub. While "Ritte" was doing his “lap of honor” in the velodrome (walking because he wasn't able to ride his bicycle) he cried out to the public: "You can all go home, I've got half a day lead on the others!!!!!" He had actually only 14 minutes left of his initial advance because of his little passage through the Pub. Henri Vanlerberghe did complete the course and crossed the finish line for the 1919 victory in the Tour of Flanders.

:lol: :lol: :lol: