The BNA SEQ Weekend Warriors

Re: The BNA SEQ Weekend Warriors

Postby RonK » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:28 am

ldrcycles wrote:The scenery was more than worth it though, riding down through the upper Brisbane river valley was just stunning, how many people can say they have seen the river where it is just a series of puddles.

That is what I was thinking when I suggested this route. Pleased that you found it interesting.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

by BNA » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:15 am

BNA

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:15 am

Definitely sounds like a route I need to try.
singlespeedscott

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:04 pm

I'm all up for having another go in the not too distant future on a more suitable bike. A 29er with drop bars would be ideal i reckon.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby Smithstreet » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:57 pm

ldrcycles wrote:I'm all up for having another go in the not too distant future on a more suitable bike. A 29er with drop bars would be ideal i reckon.

I'm in. :twisted:

Although, I wouldn't have a free day till probably January. OR, maybe Sun 15th Dec.
Smithstreet

Postby Ryanhyltoncummins » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:27 pm

while on the subject of dirt roads, I was wondering if anybodies riden old school rd near clear mountain here's a photo. Was wondering if standard road tyres would be ok or not?
Ryanhyltoncummins

Postby Smithstreet » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:17 pm

I know the road, as I've ridden past the base of it going along Winn Rd but haven't been up it.
I do recall though that some mates had done it on Mtb's and it's not for the faint hearted!
So in answer to your question, I'd take a punt on 'NO'.
Where it comes out up on Clear Mtn Rd, indicates it's a pretty short, sharp climb. Only one way to find out though!! Get back to us on that one.
Smithstreet

Postby winstonw » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:59 pm

I've wondered about that road in the past, and think I asked same question on Road Grime...and answer was not for tires <25mm!
winstonw

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:28 pm

Certainly looks jolly interesting though.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:48 pm

Yep. You'll have problems doing it on a roadie as you can't get that bite on the steeper part.
Lukeyboy

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:07 pm

Done it heaps on the mtb. It's a bit rough up the top bit double on a roadie. More fun coming down with some fat rubber though.
singlespeedscott

Postby Wakatuki » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:51 am

ldrcycles wrote:I'm all up for having another go in the not too distant future on a more suitable bike. A 29er with drop bars would be ideal i reckon.

Ok this maybe "have you really thought this through comment" did my first 100k recently and this is the kind of riding that makes me a little bit excited and nervous too AND really REALLY want a proper CX bike with pannier capacity.

My Charge 29er has the 2x10 setup and although major speed will not be gained but it will move along just fine. Now if this killed of Lachlan I will have the SES and 000 pre set in my phone!

LDR I am happy to loan you the Charge in FLAT bar status. (for a brief while as its my wet weather bike) I also have some Conti 35mm for the 29er's which can be fitted, might advise buying a spare tube though.
At 80 psi Pam maxed the bike out, she is a low cadence rider probably about 60-70rpm and reached 42kph with NO effort. :shock: slight tail will and 1% decline granted!

Or perhaps I should just got for it.... :twisted: and watch you all ride off into the distance! There is a short cut right?
Wakatuki

Postby Smithstreet » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:48 am

Yeah, the shortcut is 'turn around before you get half way around the loop'!! :twisted:
The worst part about that would be that you would miss out on the other 40+kms of dirt! :D

I've just suddenly felt fatigued just thinking about it. Right, when are we going around again?
Seriously though, if we were to do this ride again in summer, I reckon if it's anything over 30degrees, it would be almost mandatory to have a sag wagon with extra cold water.
I'm still keeping the 15th Dec free on the off chance we might have a few takers for a re-run.
Smithstreet

Postby Wakatuki » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:23 pm

Cannot do the 15th, phew! :oops: In Brisbane for my police fitness day on the 14th then we see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang! Back on the Sunny Coast later on the 15th.
SO, ladies and gentlemen a Large (current 188cm rider) frame Charge COOKER Hi 2012 with SPD pedals and Shimano Ice rotors and M785 XT brake is available for those needing equipment, local pick up and return please. Original tyres are on or CX Tyres etc available too. It has one bottle cage on it and has space for a second.
Only conditions; please replace what breaks and wash and lube. Review of my model with tech equipment. http://goo.gl/ngz8M0
Wakatuki

Postby cancan64 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:30 pm

Smithstreet wrote:I'm still keeping the 15th Dec free on the off chance we might have a few takers for a re-run.

I could get a leave of pass for the 15th as I am on holidays and will be home the next week....my concern is I will be on a road bike and I have never done that distance (biggest recent ride 130km at B2GC)...plus would have to drive up from Brisbane...so pencil me in and I will watch this space
cancan64

Postby Smithstreet » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:26 pm

cancan64 wrote:
Smithstreet wrote:I'm still keeping the 15th Dec free on the off chance we might have a few takers for a re-run.

I could get a leave of pass for the 15th as I am on holidays and will be home the next week....my concern is I will be on a road bike and I have never done that distance (biggest recent ride 130km at B2GC)...plus would have to drive up from Brisbane...so pencil me in and I will watch this space

yep. Tough one to do if you haven't done that distance before, especially on that terrain. Also, although it's doable on a roadie, you would want (as LDR said), at least 35mm tyres (not sure if you have the clearance in your frame).
I still think a CX bike is probably the best choice. I'd consider using my 29'er, but 190 is a long way on a Mtb!! Especially that last 33km into Kilcoy. It never seemed to end!

Hope I haven't put you off. :shock:
Smithstreet

Postby cancan64 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:12 pm

I rechecked the calender and I do have work the next week = very early flight Monday morning and very long day plus I have 23c tyres...so I will leave this ride for next year, I am hoping to do Wynnum - Mt Knebo - Mt Glorious - Wynnum over the Christmas break which should be a good step up.
cancan64

Postby winstonw » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:31 pm

I'm going to be busier in clinic til Chrissy. So not likely to ride rough like that.....so might be up to do sag wagon.....Could have a slab of VB (ok SS, and Hahn Dry), on board....be nice to get some go pro bits. dingoes, farmers with pitch forks, banjos.....!!! think I might head down the vid shop and get deliverance out.....haven't seen it in 30 years...and it freaked the cr@p out of me back then.

nevertheless, if anyone is up for some flat blacktop k's this Sunday, I'll probably do a 250+ to Gold Coast from Sandgate...4am start. happy to pick you up on the way through....brekky at Woodroffe on Tedder, or further down at McEwen's diner.
winstonw

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:32 pm

Wakatuki wrote: this is the kind of riding that makes me a little bit excited and nervous

EXACTLY how I was feeling the night before and for the first 100 odd kms :) .

Thanks for the offer of the Charge but the 2 issues there are the flat bars (I really don't work properly in that position, I need to be cranked right over) and the gearing, even on those awful roads my 52-14 top gear still got used a bit. I need to have a bit of a look around at cheap CX frames that will take BIG tyres, I remember seeing a 700x43 tyre on Prolly a while back which would be bliss.

EDIT: Maybe this is the impetus I need to finally build the Southern Star touring frame I've had in the shed for the last 3 years, though I think it's made for 26" wheels.

The other things I forgot to mention about the ride, take at least 3 water bottles, if not a camelback like SS did, and wear gloves! I'll leave it to your imagination to work out what it feels like to do 190kms on those roads with no gloves and thin faux leather bar tape :shock: .
Finally got photos up, this was up around Manumbar, I think before we turned onto Manumbar Rd to go to Elgin Vale.

Looking back up Western Branch Rd, we stopped here for a bit of food, I think it was just before the first crossing of the river, or at least quite high up the valley.

The Brisbane River about halfway to Linville?

ldrcycles

Postby Wakatuki » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:38 am

Lachlan you need to sell up your supply of bikes and buy a new CX, treat yourself.
Just been drooling over the Giant Revolt 0 and Revolt 1 (the one I can afford), pannier mounts, room for 45's possibly, 47's.
I like, I like a lot. Do I have the time to ride it? I WILL make time.

Dear Santa,
Sorry for this being short notice but .......................... :lol:

Maybe 2015, 2014 budget is already blown!
Wakatuki

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:19 pm

I haven't got many bikes left now! Not complete ones at least :lol: . I just had a look at the frames in the shed before, and the Southern Star tourer has a 60cm top tube, far too long for me to use with drops. I happened to look over a 90s semi lugged steel MTB frame that has been sitting around though and not only is it the right size but it has 2 sets of bottle mounts on the downtube (both on the top too which I've not seen before). Looks like it might have clearance for 35-38mm tyres, only problem is with a 622 rim the current Mountain LX cantis are a good inch and a half or more short :? .

Maybe I could just get a 27" frame and put a car jack between the forks and chain stays :lol: .
ldrcycles

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:35 am

Just setup the mtb with a riser stem and drop bars. Run some super fat 26" slicks or semi slicks and you'll be fine.
singlespeedscott

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:33 pm

But 700C/27/etc=fast, 26"=slow, no? Or to be more specific, with the same tyre width (say 38mm for argument's sake) a 559 would have a smaller rolling diameter and therefore be slower and rougher than a 622 or larger wouldn't it?
ldrcycles

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:42 am

The diameter of a 26" wheel with a 1.75" tyre is only 33mm less than a 27" rim running a narrow 1 1/4" tyre. Not much in the grand scheme but it would certainly provide a bit more Cush on the rough stuff.

You may need to change your gearing to compensate for the slightly smaller wheel diameter though.

I think a 650b wheel would be ideal running 42/45 mm tyres.
singlespeedscott

Postby Purt » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:14 am

Ryanhyltoncummins wrote:while on the subject of dirt roads, I was wondering if anybodies riden old school rd near clear mountain here's a photo. Was wondering if standard road tyres would be ok or not?

I've done it a few times on a road bike with 23mm conti gp4000s. Up and down. It's great. No tyre slippage at all.
Purt

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:12 pm

"ONLY" 33mm!? Next you're going to tell me there's ONLY 20g difference between carbon and alloy bottle cages and that it isn't making a difference to my times :lol: .

I might have to just bite the bullet and give it a crack, I mean if I can get the old steelies hustling along then 26" wheels shouldn't hold me back too much. I find it amusing that the unknown is irresistible to me when it's in relation to a ride like the Linville one, but horrifying when it comes to equipment :D .
ldrcycles

PreviousNext

Return to Queensland