The BNA SEQ Weekend Warriors

ldrcycles

Re: The BNA SEQ Weekend Warriors

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:02 am

Lukeyboy wrote:The back is simple to descend. If its really an issue i can descend slower and give out warnings into the dangerous corners ie the double hairpin. It only becomes dangerous if you make it dangerous.

Possible rest/food stops will be top of Nebo (water), Glorious (food/water), Somerset Dam (not 100% but I think there might be the old country town servo/bakery there - near the camping grounds), Kilcoy (major rest stop/food/water), Woodford (food/water), Mt Mee (lookout), Pitstop Cafe on Mt Mee (food/water/lookout), Dayboro (food/water), Samford (food/water), The Gap Servo (Slurpies) :P
I'm keen if it's on a Saturday, shouldn't have any trouble getting the morning off from my day job. There is a little general store at Somerset village, and the BP in Kilcoy is my home away from home :) . Mmmm, grease :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:33 pm

Just a thought inspired partly by the BVRT thread and partly by a book i read a while ago on the history of Gympie, would anyone be interested in trying to recreate the original route from Brisbane to Gympie? I haven't looked up any specifics yet but from memory what was called Buchanan's Line went through Durundur Station (Woodford ish) and then through Yabba Station to get to the Mary Valley. Whether that Yabba Station is the same as what is now called Old Yabba Station or not i don't know, but if it is that would mean going up to Jimna, then heading north east on some super rough dirt tracks through to Imbil.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:56 pm

I've got the route on my hdd. It never made it to Gympie. It was planned too but never eventuated and ended up being the Caboolture-Kilcoy line. I'll have to find it but I wouldn't mind tracing the route on my mtb for a fun day out :P

There are a whole bunch of lines out there. The old NCL between Caboolture-Nambour is still there (The original tunnel sections north of Landsborough). The Boonah/Mt Alford Railway line. BVRT. Dayboro. Montville had a railway line. There's another at Rosewood etc.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:08 am

I will give either ride a go subject to availabilty...have been down glorious back once and I didn't think it was bad, by memory there was 2 corners that I pulled up on.
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:47 pm

The double hairpin is the most difficult corner imho. The rest can be attacked at speed :P

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:00 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:I've got the route on my hdd. It never made it to Gympie. It was planned too but never eventuated and ended up being the Caboolture-Kilcoy line. I'll have to find it but I wouldn't mind tracing the route on my mtb for a fun day out :P

There are a whole bunch of lines out there. The old NCL between Caboolture-Nambour is still there (The original tunnel sections north of Landsborough). The Boonah/Mt Alford Railway line. BVRT. Dayboro. Montville had a railway line. There's another at Rosewood etc.
Wow i never knew there was one at Montville, i would have thought the terrain was completely unsuited to it. There was also a timber jigging line in the coastal scrub between Teewah and Rainbow Beach somewhere, i wouldn't mind going for a bit of a stickybeak up there.

I've only ever heard of the railway from Brisbane taking basically the current route, which makes sense as Buchanan's Line (which was just a tree line, not even a cleared track) went over a heck of a lot more mountains. I've gone back over the book i had read and the route James Nash took to Gympie when he found the gold there was from Durundur past Mt Stanley to Yabba Station, then through Bella Creek past Imbil. Nowadays from there it would be just up the Mary Valley rd to Gympie. Something like 230kms :) .

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:50 pm

I think there was one at Montville.... I can't fully recall 100% but I remember hearing about one. It wouldn't surprise me if it was just a small saw/timber mill 'train' or something. Similar to what they had around a few places.

Re the North Coast line. The blue line is the current railway line while the red is the old railway line. The line was moved to allow wider and bigger trains.

The tunnel from the old alignment is still accessible and can be traversed from one side to the other. If you have the time you can also ride the old alignment between the two stations as its part of a national park now and not a railway corridor.

Sure beats the one out near Samford.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:32 am

I know I mentioned it earlier and Shane was also looking into the BVRT aswell but any others here interested in hitting up the BVRT sometime? http://www.organisedgrime.com.au/BVRTJa ... /BVRT.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe drive/catch the train out to Ipswich (maybe make our way along the original starting point of the Brisbane Valley Railway Line) and ride out to Toogoolawah for lunch. Maybe even ride a bit further and check out the Yimbun tunnel before riding back to Ipswich :P

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:46 am

I managed to score an old steel CX frame yesterday, so if there's enough time for me to get that built up i'm keen.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:00 pm

Nice. Why is it not in the other thread?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:29 pm

OK. I need to train for Around the Bay. I have 2 months basically. In that time, I can fit in 3 200km rides. The dates I have are:
Saturday 9/08
Saturday 30/08
Sunday 14/09

Want to know who is interested/in and what routes?

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:11 am

Race pace or Gentlemans ride? Hilly, flat or gentlemans ride? :P

As on Facebook. There's the Kilcoy loop. Gympie and train back. Maybe even training/driving down and venturing around northern NSW. Maybe even venturing out around Maleny/Kenilworth etc. Plenty of routes to choose from.

Some ideas regarding possible routes
Northern NSW: http://app.strava.com/activities/153646775" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Landsborough-Brisbane: http://app.strava.com/activities/79394564" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brisbane to Ipswich via Mt Glorious/Fernvale: http://app.strava.com/activities/27771141" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Another version of Brisbane to Gympie: http://www.strava.com/routes/126580" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Landsborough to Kenilworth Loop: http://www.strava.com/routes/157327" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And then there are these random ones :P
Brisbane to Kilcoy and return Via Mt Nebo/Mt Glorious/Summerset Dam/Woodford/Mt Mee/Clear Mountain - 245km
Northern Mountain Challenge Via Mt Coot-Tha/Mt Nebo/Mt Glorious/Dayboro/Mt Mee/Clear Mountain/Sandgate Road - 214km
Brisbane to Mt Mee loop and return Via Clear Mountain - 167km

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:57 am

gentlemens pace

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:40 pm

So am thinking a Mt Tamobrine run would be cool. any takers for next Saturday?

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:03 pm

jasonc wrote:So am thinking a Mt Tamobrine run would be cool. any takers for next Saturday?
Keen, something like this, without the drama?
http://www.strava.com/activities/126972776" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:20 pm

I will make one of these rides one day... I need to paint the house so I can sell it to buy more bikes
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:34 pm

do it this weekend cancun. the house will still be there sunday promise

EDIT: come on, who is interested?

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:46 pm

If it's an early start Saturday pencil me in but I can't confirm until I get home Friday night as I am away all week.. But I should be good

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:07 am

geoff reckons he's in too. dimma, luke - you guys in?

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:57 am

Yep I'm in.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:08 am

Just found out racing is on the Sunday this week for the first time so count me in.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:13 am

luke - with you being the furthest away, what time would you get to around woollongabba (and we can pick up dimma on the way)

this is not too bad of a meeting place:

park rd, woollongabba

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:27 am

Depending on the time of day maybe about 45 minutes..... mayble less.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:32 pm

You boys don't forget to pack your mace and bulletproof vest when venturing South... but I'm sure Dimma will look after you.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:41 pm

come along Crawf. it's gentlemen's pace. we're not killing anyone. I know someone (lukeyboy) will be in front for all the descents anyway