Advise on Garmin Hill - Noosa Triathlon

Advise on Garmin Hill - Noosa Triathlon

Postby Dedot » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:22 pm

Hi Guys and Gals,

My husband and I are signing up part of the Noosa Team Triathlon in early November. My husband will take the swimming and running legs and I will take the cycling leg. Given this would be my first tri and not too familiar with the Noosa Tri course, would anyone kind enough to provide some tips, especially in regard to Garmin Hill and the descent down? or any other concern about the course??

A bit nervous about the hill. Just curious, how steep is the Garmin Hill when compared to Mt Cootha back course? When I did the mt cootha part of the greater brisbane ride, I was struggling a bit as that was my first climb to mt cootha ever. I did make it at the end without stopping but at a slow pace. I think I did about 22min climb from JC Slaughter Falls to the top.

Just to give a little background, I'm fairly new in cycling. Just take up the sport about a year ago. I have done the 65km greater brisbane (2013) and this past 100km Brissy to Bay. Normally my training routine involves the river loop at the weekend and if Im lucky maybe once during weekday.

Thanks for reading and looking forward to hear some feedback.
Dedot

by BNA » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:17 am

BNA

Re: Advise on Garmin Hill - Noosa Triathlon

Postby RonK » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:17 am

It's a fairly constant grade of around 5%, Much easier than Mt Coot-Tha. More like the Gateway Bridge.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby marinmomma » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:24 am

http://app.strava.com/activities/26985771

Above is a link to my ride from last years Noosa Tri, the hill climb is longer than Coot-Tha but is an easier gradient, 3.4ks at an average of 3%, so Coot-Tha or Mt Gravatt are good training options as well as just riding as fast as you can on your own for the distance of 40k's, a river loop is good for this...go as flat out as you can and punch it out on the climbs as best you can.
Runs along the Corso are good, especially out bound toward Yeronga as it it slightly up hill, work on getting down into the drops more to tuck in as the wind can be a factor on the ride back from Cooroy, especially once past Tewantin and along Gympie Tce.

It's a great day, awesome atmosphere so you do get an extra burst with the andreline that kicks in from the excitement of a huge event.

Hope that helps and good luck with the training...I'm heading back again this year with the same team as last year...my swimmer is keen to improve her leg as last year she missed one of the bouys and had to swim back to get it and our runner had recently got into training but she's just completed her first marathon on the weekend, so the 10 run will just be nothing for her....We are all hoping to get PB's for our individual legs!
There is a Tri at Bribe a few weeks before Noosa, half the distance but maybe worth considering doing just to get the transition stuff sorted before hand, running out to the start of the course in cleats is tough work...especially for me as I'm no runner.... :wink:
Lisa
marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:30 am

Also, the descent down isn't via the climb, you go straight down on the main road, it's like a bit of a chute...

Also if you can't view my Strava link, let me know and I can send you a Garmin Connect one instead...
Lisa
marinmomma

Postby Dedot » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:59 am

RonK wrote:It's a fairly constant grade of around 5%, Much easier than Mt Coot-Tha. More like the Gateway Bridge.

Thanks for that Ron K.

Marinmomma, wow, that's quite impressive time you got there. I can see your strava link. That exactly what I was looking for; data, elevation, etc. Thanks for that. Now, I just need to train more serious and putting more time. Now that you mentioned about running in and out of the bike before the start line with cleats, makes me wonder too. Obviously, we dont need to run, right?? :D speed walking maybe.. I can tell my husband to run faster at the end to make up for that time..

Again thanks for the tips, really appreciate it.
-Mel
Dedot

Postby marinmomma » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:18 am

Cool, glad that you to see what you are after...I surprised myself with that time, going to be hard to beat it this year...can't let the team down.

Re the running...no you don't have to run in and out, a good power walk will do the trick, you don't want to have a clip stack at the mounting stage after busting your butt running out!

Enjoy the training...4 months to go!
Lisa
marinmomma

Return to Queensland