Brisbane Racing Scene

Crawf

Re: Brisbane Racing Scene

Postby Crawf » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:59 am

marinmomma wrote: Have you ever tried to get past Esme at Muzz...you can't rock up there and sign up for A, and Adam has cracked down on the self-promoting at Nundah as well :wink:
I'm not A material :)

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:34 am

marinmomma wrote:From memory you have to be a UQ grad to get into the club, could be wrong though.

HPRW is my club, Adam will sort you out details on the clubs we page, if Terry was still the handicapper he would have put you straight into B because your young and fit....Adam would probably put you into C and see how you go.
Yeah I was told last year firstly, you had to be a UQ student or alumni to get into UQCC, and secondly, they had a cap on membership and weren't taking anymore members...reason being their racing at the time was not officially sanctioned by CA. It was purely informal closed club racing. So members of other clubs could not race in their events. But perusing their website a few days ago, that may have changed. Whatever, they seem to be booking up Nundah Crit track more these days, and as the dome is arguably the best race venue for masters riders (who don't like the Lakeside hill), it would be good if they let riders from other clubs into their events.

Re handicapping, I think it is a hard gig for one person. Would be good to have a handicapping panel, and tighter adherence to objective criteria.
I know at least 6 C graders who are not racing this year due to outcomes being determined by new or unknown riders 'starting' in C grade. i.e. many under 30yo's, a NSW M4 RR and ITT champion.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:22 am

That's what C grade is for - Burglars on the up.

jack11

Postby jack11 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:32 am

CKinnard wrote:Re handicapping, I think it is a hard gig for one person. Would be good to have a handicapping panel, and tighter adherence to objective criteria.
I know at least 6 C graders who are not racing this year due to outcomes being determined by new or unknown riders 'starting' in C grade. i.e. many under 30yo's, a NSW M4 RR and ITT champion.
Seems a bit harsh to suggest that every rider under 30 should go straight into B grade. I'm 23 and the speeds/intensity of C grade is intimidating enough :|

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:09 pm

If youre starting off racing C grade is the best option imho. It's best to know your limits and backgrounds before you take racing seriously - contending for wins etc. I came from a bmx/motobike background so I already had good spacial awareness which made that aspect of riding in a large group comfortable despite not having actually done many group rides before racing (which is why I tend to be the joker on group rides :P). I found it great when I did and I commonly had the burglar claim because I chose to race with others in the grade that wanted to race and form breakaways (at the time the grade was mostly filled with sprinters). I learnt my strengths and I learnt my weakness. I learnt others weaknesses and strengths. Only problem I had was that when I wanted to progress out of C grade I couldn't get out due to a mix of things. I couldn't race the grade up because I didn't have enough points and the lack of points stemmed from the mentality of some of the racers that you get across all grades ie sprinters vs enduro riders vs those hanging on/doing minimal work (wanting others to chase down breakaways etc).

Another issue with C grade now that CKinnard is sort of getting to is that instead of it being just one new young bloke like me there are quite a few that other riders are now taking advantage of for themselves instead of proper racing which at times leads to complacency. There's been a few races where the younger blokes haven't attended and the lower c grade division has had a equal/faster race time or even overtaken them as was the case at Lakeside earlier in the year. Even after I was then known in C grade there were riders that instead of doing a turn on the front would follow my wheel track and the whole pack would very quickly concertina as a result.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:19 pm

jack11 wrote:Seems a bit harsh to suggest that every rider under 30 should go straight into B grade. I'm 23 and the speeds/intensity of C grade is intimidating enough :|
Jack, until you experience a bunch going that fast, reserve your judgement for how difficult it is. If you can maintain 38kph for a solo lap, you will have no issues sitting in a B grade pack.

This was the approach of the previous HPRW handicapper, who had been handicapping for several decades.
His view was that if you are under 30, and unable to keep up with the B grade pack, then you should go and build your fitness (and bike skills) off the race track, as a race is not the place to be doing so.
Guys who blow up in races, esp when on the front, are a serious issue.

jack11

Postby jack11 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:49 pm

CKinnard wrote:His view was that if you are under 30, and unable to keep up with the B grade pack, then you should go and build your fitness (and bike skills) off the race track, as a race is not the place to be doing so.
Doesn't that just prove the problem? Throwing people into B grade even if their physical capabilities align with C grade is in itself a dangerous practice because it is likely cause people to 'blow up' in races and lose concentration due to fatigue.

The reality is I work 60+ hours most week so don't really have the time to be training more than 8-10 hours a week.

I guess ultimately what I am trying to say is that attitude that no one should race unless they are capable of riding B grade is pretty off putting to someone who is new to racing (not new to riding) and I don't think an attitude like that would serve the club moving forward :roll:

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:50 pm

jack11 wrote: I guess ultimately what I am trying to say is that attitude that no one should race unless they are capable of riding B grade is pretty off putting to someone who is new to racing (not new to riding) and I don't think an attitude like that would serve the club moving forward :roll:
Keeping up with B-Grade and winning/being at the front are two different things though especially at Nundah. If you stay around the back of the pack, you'll be sucked along and you'll find yourself sitting there comfortably. But, if you want to mix it up and win, then you may find yourself in a little distress come the faster laps. If you feel nervous, you can always drop out either at the 2/3 lap warning or the bell lap, many people do and it's a wise decision if you're not in the top 15 coming into the last lap.

In any event, the 8 - 10 hours you ride currently is enough to hold on in B-Grade, but many in C1 will ride less hours than you do.

If you don't have the opportunity to ride in with a large group/shop ride to simulate riding close to other wheels, then perhaps look at partaking at smaller club racers which happen infrequently. I believe Lifecycle have another race in 2 weekends time. So you could jump into C-Grade there, get a taste of how it is, then decide if you feel comfortable at B-Grade.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:10 pm

jack11 wrote:
CKinnard wrote:His view was that if you are under 30, and unable to keep up with the B grade pack, then you should go and build your fitness (and bike skills) off the race track, as a race is not the place to be doing so.
Doesn't that just prove the problem? Throwing people into B grade even if their physical capabilities align with C grade is in itself a dangerous practice because it is likely cause people to 'blow up' in races and lose concentration due to fatigue.

The reality is I work 60+ hours most week so don't really have the time to be training more than 8-10 hours a week.

I guess ultimately what I am trying to say is that attitude that no one should race unless they are capable of riding B grade is pretty off putting to someone who is new to racing (not new to riding) and I don't think an attitude like that would serve the club moving forward :roll:
OK, re weekly training hours, a crit race is no more than an hour, and most guys sit in.
So you could be competitive training intelligently for 3-4 hours a week, as many are.
Many racers are outdoors manual workers. One could argue they are at a disadvantage to those sitting in comfortable air con all week.

I'd put money on 95% of C graders being able to roll around in a B grade pack. In fact, one of them upgraded himself this year without the requisite podium points, and has never been dropped.

HPRW club membership grew dramatically under the control of the previous handicapper, who put all <30yo's straight into B grade....unless they appeared to have a bodyfat % over 30%! :)

Just show up. If you get dropped by the B grade pack, you'll know you are less fit than your age matched peers....and hopefully develop the motivation to improve your diet and training. My first three races made me realize I had to go away for 6 mths and lose 10kg, and actually do some sprint training.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:25 pm

Crawf wrote:
marinmomma wrote: Have you ever tried to get past Esme at Muzz...you can't rock up there and sign up for A, and Adam has cracked down on the self-promoting at Nundah as well :wink:
I'm not A material :)
She grills people wanting to sign up for B... :wink:
Lisa

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:30 pm

jack11 wrote:
CKinnard wrote:presuming no wind and a reasonable number
C1 40-42kph
C2 39-41kph

though the average speed doesn't signify much. any Joe can sit in a large pack at 40-45kph and soft pedal a lot. you get sucked along more than you can imagine (if you haven't been in a big pack before).

just make sure you never fall off the back!

imho, racing C2 (older guys) is harder because the numbers are lower, it tends to be a strung out single line rather than a bunch, therefore you don't get as much draft effect.
I have no idea if I would be able to hold that pace, but I guess all I can do is work hard until the start of October and hope for the best :D
Just give it ago, the worst thing that could happen is you will be dropped, been there and done the lonely ride trying to get back on.
There is a crit at Nundah next Saturday as the hill climb challenge has been canceled....Luke is so disappointed about that I'm guessing :wink:
Lisa

jack11

Postby jack11 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:54 pm

CKinnard wrote:
jack11 wrote:

OK, re weekly training hours, a crit race is no more than an hour, and most guys sit in.
So you could be competitive training intelligently for 3-4 hours a week, as many are.
Many racers are outdoors manual workers. One could argue they are at a disadvantage to those sitting in comfortable air con all week.

I'd put money on 95% of C graders being able to roll around in a B grade pack. In fact, one of them upgraded himself this year without the requisite podium points, and has never been dropped.

HPRW club membership grew dramatically under the control of the previous handicapper, who put all <30yo's straight into B grade....unless they appeared to have a bodyfat % over 30%! :)

Just show up. If you get dropped by the B grade pack, you'll know you are less fit than your age matched peers....and hopefully develop the motivation to improve your diet and training. My first three races made me realize I had to go away for 6 mths and lose 10kg, and actually do some sprint training.
In that case maybe I'm best staying as far away from HPRW and join a club whose members actually supports beginners who want to try racing, rather than banishing them from the crit track until they are able to race B grade?

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:58 pm

That was the previous handicappers method.
Send Adam an email and let him guide you.
I'm fairly sure he put you into C1 and see how you go.

In my opinion HPRW is very supportive of new people starting out more so if you're up front with them about your level of experience and skill level.
Lisa

jack11

Postby jack11 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:03 pm

marinmomma wrote:That was the previous handicappers method.
Send Adam an email and let him guide you.
I'm fairly sure he put you into C1 and see how you go.

In my opinion HPRW is very supportive of new people starting out more so if you're up front with them about your level of experience and skill level.
Thanks for the response. I guess it's just intimidating having someone tell you that you are not welcome at their club if you are under 30 and not capable of riding b grade. I'm sure that is not the attitude or culture of the club as a whole.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:36 pm

jack11 wrote:Thanks for the response. I guess it's just intimidating having someone tell you that you are not welcome at their club if you are under 30 and not capable of riding b grade. I'm sure that is not the attitude or culture of the club as a whole.
oh yeah, you're under 30! :lol:

Abby

Postby Abby » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:11 pm

Jack11 - don't read too much into the 'policies'.

Just rock up and have a chat to the handicappers on the day (get there in plenty of time as they are often busy having arguments with people wanting to ride up or down). Be honest about your ability & experience. Worst case is you'll be put in too high a grade the first time - even if that happens, you'll be dropped back in quick time for your next races.

While many handicappers can be grizzly old buggers (you would be too if you were a club volunteer, but kept getting a hammering from every Tom, Dick & Harry with a sob story), they genuinely want people to have a great time racing (which is why they volunteer in the first place).

Even as someone from a rival club (Balmoral), I've always found HPRW officials to be approachable and friendly. They are a great club, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to someone wanting to join, or race at their crits.

Don't overthink it. Just hook up with a club and get into it. I've been dropped in more races than I can even remember (& podiumed in a couple too) - but every single one, no matter the result, has been awesome fun... :-)

Cheers,
Abby
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:50 am

Chill. You're over-thinking it.
People get dropped every race, no one cares, use it as motivation to train harder or drop down a grade. Simples.
You'll be fine in B or C if you sit in, just don't sit at the very back where the surging can destroy a novices legs.

jack11

Postby jack11 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:01 am

Crawf wrote:Chill. You're over-thinking it.
Guilty!

t-rav

Postby t-rav » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:13 pm

Jack, I am in a similar position re racing. I plan on giving UQ a crack in October.

Apparently training starts under green bridge tues and thurs. Closest training for me being on the south side.

As others have said they hold club races fairly frequently at Nundah, so I figure I can give this a try before Muz.

Guess you don't know how you will fare against everyone else until you give it a crack.

Nikolai

Postby Nikolai » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:19 pm

CKinnard wrote:Guys who blow up in races, esp when on the front, are a serious issue.
I know, it gets really messy sometimes

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:24 am

Nikolai wrote:
CKinnard wrote:Guys who blow up in races, esp when on the front, are a serious issue.
How timely is this.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:30 pm

Crawf wrote:
Nikolai wrote:
How timely is this.
Yes true, bloody Muzz :wink:
Lisa

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:56 pm

Today, I caught up with the last 4 weeks at Muzz......70 odd B graders in one race, etc?

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:03 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:If youre starting off racing C grade is the best option imho. It's best to know your limits and backgrounds before you take racing seriously - contending for wins etc.
hey Lukey, which bike did you trash at Muzz?

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:40 pm

Did I trash a bike a Muzz???? I've grown a beard but I don't remember binning any bikes :P