Brisbane Racing Scene

marinmomma

Re: Brisbane Racing Scene

Postby marinmomma » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:04 pm

CKinnard wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:Nope, What's happened now??
tell you when I pick up my cx.
Well that's not fair, mention it and not share :roll:
Lisa

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:20 pm

HPRW or what ever we are called now have a good mix through the winter season, with a variety of road races and TT's for those of us that get sick of chasing each other round in circles! Summer is split between Nundah and the Lakeside circuit plus the Twilight series.
Balmoral only ever have races at Muzz on Saturday, apart from their one open event...(anyone else think that their pricing structure is OTT this year?)
Logan have a regular calendar of races during the winter apart from their open event, they do have a good social/training mix of rides during the week and weekend.
Lifecycle have upped their race calendar a bit this year however they do have a regular training rides mid-week and Saturdays
KPCC, as outline above by Crawf
Uni is from my understanding only open to alumni, might be wrong but last time is looked at their web page that was what I read.

There are 2 Gold Coast clubs, there's always a race on every Sunday at 1 of 4 courses, one road hotdog circuit, two flatter courses and then the hillier Nerang, and they do a twilight series during summer

Ipswich have races, it appears to be more during the winter season

Cyc'd is a newer club, there are training rides most members seem to be racing at Muzz on a Saturday. Maybe the shop at Norman Park could provide more info,

MBCC, is on the other side of the world to where you might be basing yourself, they don't appear to feature much on the racing calendar although there are a few big hitters in their club :wink:

All the best with your move and most important to remember that there's a race on every morning on the ever popular river loop, no license or common sense required, just jump on to any number of random bunches heading off at breakneck speed and try your luck :lol: have fun!
Lisa

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:02 pm

marinmomma wrote:
CKinnard wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:Nope, What's happened now??
tell you when I pick up my cx.
Well that's not fair, mention it and not share :roll:
ok, it involves habitual abusers of track protocol....in that they do recovery pace on the inside of the track, and otherwise don't respect riders doing efforts. it has resulted in so many accidents and near accidents, it is inexcusable. I've seen HPRW and Redcliffe Triathlon juniors limbs put at risk by regular HPRW Masters riders who abuse track use protocol time and again over the last 7 years...

While doing intervals at pace last week, I was nearly brought down by the organizer of the HPRW arvo training sessions and entourage, and made an official complaint to the club about their perpetual inconsiderate and blockheadness, and their response to me asking them to stick to the outside of the track when doing recovery pace.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:12 pm

CKinnard wrote:
marinmomma wrote:
CKinnard wrote: Well that's not fair, mention it and not share :roll:
ok, it involves habitual abusers of track protocol....in that they do recovery pace on the inside of the track, and otherwise don't respect riders doing efforts. it has resulted in so many accidents and near accidents, it is inexcusable. I've seen HPRW and Redcliffe Triathlon juniors limbs put at risk by regular HPRW Masters riders who abuse track use protocol time and again over the last 7 years...

While doing intervals at pace last week, I was nearly brought down by the organizer of the HPRW arvo training sessions and entourage, and made an official complaint to the club about their perpetual inconsiderate and blockheadness, and their response to me asking them to stick to the outside of the track when doing recovery pace.
Yes, that can be frustrating for sure, early mornings are busy there too but most seem to get the concept of outside is the recovery zone.
Hope that you get some feedback regarding your complaint.
Lisa

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:15 pm

Same at Muzz. And if I have a go at them then I come off as the a55hole. Tri groups are unfortunately the regular culprits too.

Ryanhyltoncummins

Postby Ryanhyltoncummins » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:38 pm

Can't be worse then these roller bladers I came across one time, going in the opposite direction and only using the small part of the track. The last thing you expect is a bunch of idiots coming the WRONG way.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:42 pm

Lisa, yes I used the argument that the Redcliffe Tri and HPRW juniors 'get' what track protocol is, as do 99% of riders who train hard in the mornings, esp Wed.....so why can't HPRW Masters riders (who have been using the track for much more than 5 years)!

I sent emails to newsletter man (KF) and the club President.
- KF was reticent but tells me he eventually said something to those involved, which I am very grateful for.
- I've had no response from the club president.
- I also mentioned it to the club treasurer, who vehemently agreed it is grubby inconsiderate behavior! I didn't ask her to do something about it though.

I think no one wants to create waves and come across as a whinger...but fair's fair, and enough's enough. Someone has to call it how it is, even when the offenders are popular self promoters.

Crawf, yeah I have resisted calling offenders out over it out of concern for being branded a whiny little schoolgirl. But finally, my blood boiled with the events and subsequent exchange from last week.

Ryan, re those roller bladers, I encountered same about 3 years ago. I pulled them aside (mother and daughter from South America I recall), and they said their coach had told them to ride like that. I think I got through to them on the day that their coach would not have meant that they do that when cyclists are training. And they deceased and went off down the Jim Soorley path.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:17 pm

You could always venture onto the KBB and try to take my KOMs including that one where I have nearly 2 minutes over second place from the beach to the track rather than laps at Nundah :P :P :P

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:48 am

Lukeyboy wrote:You could always venture onto the KBB and try to take my KOMs including that one where I have nearly 2 minutes over second place from the beach to the track rather than laps at Nundah :P :P :P
KBB segment leaderboards, like most flat Strava segments, are full of wheel sucking schoolgirls who watch the BOM for maximum wind assist :P
unless they have a power meter :)

You could always venture off KBB onto the gravel...where you appear to only go one way, which indicates you are a wind assist kinda guy.
I must make an in/out gravel service road segment that filters out wind assist numpties.

BTW, are you going to do the CX races this year? Against my better age appropriate judgement, I'm gearing up for it!
Would be great to have a gravel or cross country race. I am thinking crit to nudgee beach and back, via some of the gravel and grass tracks along the way. There's also heaps of service road along the Gateway Motorway around the Wetlands. Harder to wheelsuck when off tarmac! :wink:

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:38 am

And yet none of those school girls have beaten my time yet :P Just checked the dates and yeah. That was during a week where I was in form. 5 or 6 races in a 12 day period. Lots of commuting to and from racing (got a kom commuting from the SCCC crits). Plenty of leadout work and lots of attacking in the twilight series. And you know the usual small breakaway here and there.

I got koms in both directions that day. I usually do the clockwise loop as traffic flow tends to be better vs the anticlockwise loop. I wasn't fast across many of the shorter segments which seem to be the goal for the hardcore strava addicts but my speed was more consistent over the longer distance. Why push yourself for 1km sitting on 50kph and become useless at the 1.1km point when you can drop a few kph and maintain 47kph for 10km. There's a reason why I love going 75% in the prime and then 95% once I cross the start/finish line. Seems most people have caught onto that tactic now and mark me :P

I think I had the kom along there on my roadie before Phil ventured out there on his cx. Wasn't fast in the corners on 23c tires but made up for it with top end speed on the straight bits :P :P If they allow mtbs again and the dates don't clash with anything I see why not.

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:52 am

Lukeyboy wrote:I think I had the kom along there on my roadie before Phil ventured out there on his cx. Wasn't fast in the corners on 23c tires but made up for it with top end speed on the straight bits
Actually, my quickest both ways around there was on the roadie not the CX strangely enough. :?

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:03 am

are you thinking of the same gravel as me?

I'll have to go take a few seconds off my old PB's.
I should be able to claim 3rd for ruff root and 2nd for gravel service road.
MartinW gets as excessively smug pipping me on Strava segments as he did when he used to use me as a leadout in crits (thinking I didn't know he was on my wheel). :roll:
I get my own back though, every time I see him race and not podium. :) No one he trains with is savvy or strong enough to do what I used to do for him. I saw Anthony and Martin breakaway once!, and last about 5 laps....the pack reeled them in averaging less than 40kph, so I had a little guffaw to myself. If the handicappers stop putting 20year olds in our grade, I'll come back and make life interesting for F Troop. :lol:

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:07 am

Where are these segments you speak of? :)
Who's doing Toowong CX on Sunday?

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:43 am

Crawf wrote:Where are these segments you speak of? :)
The CX race clashes with the Reds v Hurricanes game, since I go for the Hurricanes and have Reds season tickets (don't know why this year) I will go to the game but should make the other races. The next round will be interesting, a night race
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:43 am

Crawf wrote:As mentioned some clubs are big on racing others lean towards the social side, as a KP member, they are very much a social orientated club with rides every day of the week, but of late have initiatives pushing to get more people racing within the club, having said that, if you are MastA then you may find the pace frustrating for those weekly rides but you'll be welcomed with open arms.

Yes Brisbane is very crit orientated, i'm only 10 mins from Muzz (Murrarie) but dont race there because its so farking boring. Most road racing tends to happens out West at places like Kalbar or Haigslea - which are ripper courses. IMHO the best cirt course around is actually down at Nerang hosted by Gold Coast Cats who are another very welcoming club, ensure that its high on your priority list to get too, its like the 'Tear Drop' but a bit technical and funerer.
Well you would know one of my old racing mates, Keith Ham. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:05 pm

Yes I do, he's still a regular racer and always down at Chandler.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:21 pm

1. fer sure shane! :)
2. most likely.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:15 pm

CKinnard wrote: I sent emails to newsletter man (KF) and the club President.
- KF was reticent but tells me he eventually said something to those involved, which I am very grateful for.
- I've had no response from the club president.
- I also mentioned it to the club treasurer, who vehemently agreed it is grubby inconsiderate behavior! I didn't ask her to do something about it though.

I think no one wants to create waves and come across as a whinger...but fair's fair, and enough's enough. Someone has to call it how it is, even when the offenders are popular self promoters.

Crawf, yeah I have resisted calling offenders out over it out of concern for being branded a whiny little schoolgirl. But finally, my blood boiled with the events and subsequent exchange from last week.
Isn't KF part of the group that do the training of an afternoon? Maybe a timely reminder in the weekly newsletter is required, if you're a member of HPRW, (I know that we have a new name but for the life of me I can't remember it!) could you raise it at the monthly meetings if the behaviour persists?
Just a thought
Lisa

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:40 pm

marinmomma wrote:Isn't KF part of the group that do the training of an afternoon? Maybe a timely reminder in the weekly newsletter is required, if you're a member of HPRW, (I know that we have a new name but for the life of me I can't remember it!) could you raise it at the monthly meetings if the behaviour persists?
Just a thought
Yeah I talked to K about saying something in the newsletter etc...but I think he's inclined to just let it rest now. He told me he spoke to the guy I have the issue with, and I'm happy with that. And yes K trains on those afternoons, but takes a backseat. He's usually one of the first to fall off the back of the pacelines anyways :) but he's still a hot sprinter. The reason I got my back up is because several years ago the same guy caused several Redcliffe juniors doing an interval to run off onto the grass on the inside of the track, and one of them ended up with a damaged rear derailleur. One of the Redcliffe Tri fathers came over and gave everyone involved a serve, and rightfully so. That's when I decided I'd do my own training, and not get involved in the paceline stuff. It was embarrassing.

Do you still ride with Comedian from time to time? I know he joined Lifecycle. Has he got into racing much?

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:48 pm

When in doubt, hit them around the head with ya pump! :twisted:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:50 pm

CKinnard wrote: Do you still ride with Comedian from time to time? I know he joined Lifecycle. Has he got into racing much?
I see him around from time to time, he does some of the LC rides and has tried racing but not sure if he's too keen.
He had a nasty off riding back toward Rathdowney the other week, he's just back on the bike this week. Still into his commuting.

Your issue with the afternoon group has reminded me to not go over to Nundah at that time to do my TT sessions, things are generally quieter at Muzz! :roll:
Lisa

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:04 pm

CKinnard wrote:are you thinking of the same gravel as me?

I'll have to go take a few seconds off my old PB's.
I should be able to claim 3rd for ruff root and 2nd for gravel service road.
MartinW gets as excessively smug pipping me on Strava segments as he did when he used to use me as a leadout in crits (thinking I didn't know he was on my wheel). :roll:
I get my own back though, every time I see him race and not podium. :) No one he trains with is savvy or strong enough to do what I used to do for him. I saw Anthony and Martin breakaway once!, and last about 5 laps....the pack reeled them in averaging less than 40kph, so I had a little guffaw to myself. If the handicappers stop putting 20year olds in our grade, I'll come back and make life interesting for F Troop. :lol:
Give me your GPS, you drive the moped and we'll go KOM hunting :P :P :P
Last edited by Lukeyboy on Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:07 pm

What time? And are MTBs allowed?? :P

That's one of them :P https://www.strava.com/segments/1150495" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Funnily enough my 3 fastest times are all faster than the time of second place :P Not bad for a solo effort when you consider the amount of people that try to go like bats out of hell in a group. I'm just waiting for that one proper train to go along and smash my time.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:45 pm

CKinnard wrote:Yeah I talked to K about saying something in the newsletter etc...but I think he's inclined to just let it rest now. He told me he spoke to the guy I have the issue with, and I'm happy with that. And yes K trains on those afternoons, but takes a backseat. He's usually one of the first to fall off the back of the pacelines anyways :) but he's still a hot sprinter. The reason I got my back up is because several years ago the same guy caused several Redcliffe juniors doing an interval to run off onto the grass on the inside of the track, and one of them ended up with a damaged rear derailleur. One of the Redcliffe Tri fathers came over and gave everyone involved a serve, and rightfully so. That's when I decided I'd do my own training, and not get involved in the paceline stuff. It was embarrassing.
It's a pitty I'm not there because everyone knows what I'm like when it comes to pacelines/breakaways. I might be 5 riders or more back and I'll still yell take a turn/stop surging/hold your line etc :P

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:37 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:It's a pitty I'm not there because everyone knows what I'm like when it comes to pacelines/breakaways. I might be 5 riders or more back and I'll still yell take a turn/stop surging/hold your line etc :P
yeah but everyone ignores you because they think you don't have any money, or animal magnetism :P
but those in the know know how loaded you are! you've got the most expensive bike gear of anyone I know.....apart from the bloke at Redcliffe I had coffee with the other day who had just bought a new Storck roadie with super record groupo. But why would you buy a high performance bike like that and not have a power meter??? :)