Nails - Loganholme

Nails - Loganholme

Postby K2 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:01 pm

For the last couple of weeks it's been pretty obvious someone has been dropping nails along both shoulders of the service road (western side) between the red bridge over the Logan River and Clarks Rd. As usual, passing vehicles blow them away from the edge of the lane proper, but they keep reappearing.

Today, after a second flat with no obvious fault (see below), I had the pleasure of walking home from Eagleby (no, seriously, it was a lovely morning), and took the opportunity to kick over a hundred 30mm nails off the road surface of the northward side. I shall endeavour to do the southward side sometime this week, but they'll need picking up as the sound barriers leave nowhere to kick them to. As such, all will be retained and should the culprit ever be identified, I shall return the lost property to whence they came, a small handful at a time perhaps. :evil:

If you're passing that way you likely already ride in the lane as the shoulders are always littered with debris, but take care anyway.

And thanks to the dozen or so folk who checked that all was well as I replaced the first tube down Ormeau way. I always ask too, but it still makes an eventful morning that little bit better when it is returned.

Oh, and after 5 minutes checking the tyre by the roadside the first time without success, it still took another 5 minutes at home with my glasses on, even after noting tyre/tube orientation, to locate a stupid little shard of glass under a flap of rubber...and I still couldn't feel it from the inside despite being able to see the cut when I spread the tyre!!!
K2

by BNA » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:38 am

BNA

Re: Nails - Loganholme

Postby elantra » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:38 am

K2 wrote:For the last couple of weeks it's been pretty obvious someone has been dropping nails along both shoulders of the service road (western side) between the red bridge over the Logan River and Clarks Rd. As usual, passing vehicles blow them away from the edge of the lane proper, but they keep reappearing.

Today, after a second flat with no obvious fault (see below), I had the pleasure of walking home from Eagleby (no, seriously, it was a lovely morning), and took the opportunity to kick over a hundred 30mm nails off the road surface of the northward side. I shall endeavour to do the southward side sometime this week, but they'll need picking up as the sound barriers leave nowhere to kick them to. As such, all will be retained and should the culprit ever be identified, I shall return the lost property to whence they came, a small handful at a time perhaps. :evil:

If you're passing that way you likely already ride in the lane as the shoulders are always littered with debris, but take care anyway.

I too have been noticing a lot of broken glass on the sides of roads recently, however i am fairly sure that in the western burbs it is more due to carelessness than malicious intent.
I tend to ride a fair way out from the gutter, and i think this helps avoid a lot of glass etc.
I was especially thankful to be riding out from the gutter on the way home from work las night, came around a corner at approx 35km/hr and there was a ONCOMING cyclist RIDING IN ROAD GUTTER.

I think she was without lights, but all told i was too shocked to take note of a minor detail like that, was more concerned about making sure we did not meet by collision ! :shock:
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"
elantra

Re: Nails - Loganholme

Postby K2 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:44 am

elantra wrote:I too have been noticing a lot of broken glass on the sides of roads recently, however i am fairly sure that in the western burbs it is more due to carelessness than malicious intent.
I tend to ride a fair way out from the gutter, and i think this helps avoid a lot of glass etc.

Riding down towards the northern end of the Gold Coast you get pretty good at spotting it enough in advance to safely skirt most of it [often still within the shoulder], but then you do get plenty of practise when you are travelling past a remnant pocket of glass fields where the plethora of overfull trucks delivering it to the local mill leave tons of the stuff in their trail every time they shift direction or a gust of wind hits them....oh wait, that's cane....and I'm being far too poetic for my own good. :) [I'm blaming lack of sleep]

Why all the glass then? Good question and I'm glad I asked....

I suspect the service road might be frequented by locals trying to avoid the authorities on the adjacent M1. Weekends seems to be prime time for fresh additions. And I'm pretty sure a fair bit of it is due to malicious intent. Witness the amount of the stuff at the entry and exit points to the paths around the roundabouts, or the large piles of the stuff [I'm talking bucketloads] deposited in three of the shoulders on the hill leading up to [and away from] the church at Pimpama earlier this year....did someone upset a local windscreen replacement chap?

Once upon a time folk came here believing the streets might be paved with gold. Now it seems the best they can hope for is glass [I wonder if SA is much different?]. At least it looks pretty when the early morning light hits it, and fortunately it doesn't account for all that many punctures for me.

Oh, and I collected 90 nails from the other side of the aforementioned stretch. Not bad for less than 500m. :cry: So far they haven't been replenished.

Glad you avoided the perils in your gutter.
K2

Return to Queensland