Attention- Policing issue after rider injured.

Attention- Policing issue after rider injured.

Postby elantra » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:58 am

In case you have not seen this story in the General discussion thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-D_o6ZoJEk&feature=youtu.be

there's a lot of discussion in http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=58039&start=2900
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"
elantra

by BNA » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:12 pm

BNA

Re: Attention- Policing issue after rider injured.

Postby briztoon » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:12 pm

I'm still waiting for the traffic accident report from my accident to be completed. As of Wednesday it was still waiting to be signed off by the traffic accident investigation unit. Monday will mark 4 weeks since my accident. I'm assuming since the investigation is ongoing, the truck driver who side swiped me has not been charged with anything.

I have read and heard many stories where the motorist is charged with a rather insignificant traffic offence in relation to the severity of the accident.

I want to know why.
briztoon

Postby darkelf921 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:31 pm

briztoon wrote:I'm still waiting for the traffic accident report from my accident to be completed. As of Wednesday it was still waiting to be signed off by the traffic accident investigation unit. Monday will mark 4 weeks since my accident. I'm assuming since the investigation is ongoing, the truck driver who side swiped me has not been charged with anything.

I have read and heard many stories where the motorist is charged with a rather insignificant traffic offence in relation to the severity of the accident.

I want to know why.

After speaking to a few police on this type of matter, it is not for the want of police to charge but rather for the lack of prosecution. So unless you have video footage proving the motorist was in the wrong, without a doubt, prosecution is unlikely. When prosecution is unlikely, then the motorist being charged is unlikely. The blame should not be placed on our police but rather with the laws and the inability to get successful prosecutions with them.

There is a reason why I have two GoPro cameras every time I ride.
My YouTube channel http://goo.gl/UlJrkN
darkelf921

Postby sumgy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:08 pm

darkelf921 wrote:
briztoon wrote:I'm still waiting for the traffic accident report from my accident to be completed. As of Wednesday it was still waiting to be signed off by the traffic accident investigation unit. Monday will mark 4 weeks since my accident. I'm assuming since the investigation is ongoing, the truck driver who side swiped me has not been charged with anything.

I want to know why.

After speaking to a few police on this type of matter, it is not for the want of police to charge but rather for the lack of prosecution. So unless you have video footage proving the motorist was in the wrong, without a doubt, prosecution is unlikely. When prosecution is unlikely, then the motorist being charged is unlikely. The blame should not be placed on our police but rather with the laws and the inability to get successful prosecutions with them.

There is a reason why I have two GoPro cameras every time I ride.

And because of the way our laws are the motorist will be prosecuted with motorist penalties (failure to give way, driving too close etc).
So dont think that your Go Pro will get you any better prosecution than whatever the penalty is for those offenses.
sumgy

Return to Queensland