Moving to Kenmore

poohkies

Moving to Kenmore

Postby poohkies » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:19 pm

Hi guys, just wanted some info, moving from Darwin down to Brissy next month, will be working at the airport, and would like to commute from kenmore to the Airport (about 28 km's ) was wondering if anyone could get me a good safe route had a look at google maps but any input would be fantastic , been a while and with all the over pass's under passes bloody scare me

I was thinking to go straight down the ?Centenary Hi-way path then across through Toowong to Coronation drive, but from there i'm ????? no idea, Breakfast Creek / Hamilton?

thanks guys

GH

Re: Moving to Kenmore

Postby GH » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:29 pm

I am sure there will be others with more info, but go to bne.com.au and you should be able to find the
on airport route. It keeps changing with ongoing works around the ITB.

Personally I would avoid KSD and go via the Kedron Brook Bikeway to Toombul and into the airport from there.

Downside at the moment is the magpie on KBB at the moment, but its only for a month of the year.

From the CBD I would go up through Roma St Railway Station/Parklands to the Herston bikeway and
from there there is a common route via Aberleigh Rd, Gould Rd, Downey Park, Kedron Brook Rd and onto
the KBB.

Bike path route maps can be found on the Brisbane City Council web site. brisbane.qld.gov.au

I am not a commuter, completely a recreational cyclist so I take the off road paths as much as I can,
I am sure you will get replies from the commuters with alternative on road routes.

gh

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:36 pm

Oh dear, picked a tough one right through the busiest parts of Brisbane.

It's too complicated to describe. I suggest you look up the Ride the City website.

In safe or safer mode it will produce a convoluted route but will give you the general idea and then you can pick what suits you and your threshold of tolerance for traffic, or put it in direct mode.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:35 pm

thanks guys, I might just try and do it one weekend and work from there the best way and rough time it will take :) thanks for your input :)

RonK

Moving to Kenmore

Postby RonK » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:04 pm

poohkies wrote:thanks guys, I might just try and do it one weekend and work from there the best way and rough time it will take :) thanks for your input :)
That's the best way, but of course there is much less traffic on the weekend. When is the move?

Ryanhyltoncummins

Postby Ryanhyltoncummins » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:51 pm

hey there is quite a few ways you could go i guess you just gotta experiment and find which works best for you

1 http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/286784341" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; watch out the for the kedron brook maggie unsure if there are any others on this route
2 http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/286787831" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
3. http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/286789949" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i made up 3 different routes that i would ride, number one preference would be the first one,due to the amount of bikeway

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:10 pm

I commute in from Brookfield to Toowong every day so can confidently say you'll have no problems there.

As others have said there are going to be several options available to you. Given that you're working at the airport, there's a fair chance you're going to be doing shift work, or at least non-standard hours. This may infuence your choices. Eg at 6am on a Sunday morning I would be happy to ride straight down Ann St and along KSD, but definitely not at 8am on a week day etc.

My suggestion is to use google maps with cycling directions. This is actually pretty good. Good luck mate, and welcome to town :-)

PS - If you are of reasonable fitness and ride a road bike you can assume an average of about 25km/hr, over the distance 30+ km. So factor in at least 1hr 15mins I'd think.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:51 pm

Afternoon,

Move is happening next week (first part drive cars down etc) I might even try to do the ride one morning while i'm down.

Start day is 4th November and house is near figtree pocket on the back of the Centenary Hi-way, so im able to cross over and get onto the bridge there and go on to toowong

This is my average up here and Ride to work was 24km's but am in darwin and is very flat and not much traffic to deal with but was averaging around on the other side of 30, so was hoping to do it in the hour pending on how i'm going to go with hills etc traffic, stop starts etc.

How bad is the traffic down there, Wife is a bit worried, up here I only have to ride along one main road (well it's a main road 3 lanes fare bit of arvo / morning traffic and only has a bike lane one way) I know that will be nothing compared with brisbane (grew up there lived bellbowrie / kenmore left 17 years ago, was mental then)

once again thanks everyone helps heaps / and yes also will be doing shift work, 4 days on 4 days off 2 morning 2 lates

munga

Postby munga » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:25 pm

if traffic was mental 17 years ago, you won't have an adjective for it now.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:01 am

Traffic is fine now, ..... providing you ride a bike.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:51 am

munga wrote:if traffic was mental 15 years ago, you won't have an adjective for it now.
back then it was faster to ride my bmx along the walking path along moggil rd into brisbane than it was to catch the bus :) that's all i'm going by left brisbane in 98 (woopsy 15 years not 17 :P)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:43 am

I commute to the city from the other side of the river from kenmore, as others have stated, that won't be your problem. I do talk to a few people on the ride in who do a similar commute, so it must be possible.

Welcome (back) to Brissy.

When you're ready for some group rides, yell out

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:54 pm

thanks guys

found out my shifts, early start monday to friday is 5 till 16:00 late start is 16:00 till 3am
weekend early is 7:30 till 1600 and late shift is 1600 till 3am

riding gonna be interesting means i have to leave just befor 4 so i'm ready for work at 5

thanks jasonc i'll yell out when i get everything sorted

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:30 pm

riding this sunday. have sent you a PM. reply if interested

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:44 pm

Hey Jason, just sent you a pm, not sure what's wrong as It wount leave my out box

am currently back in Darwin finishing up at work and sorting removalists, be back on the 2nd of November, will pm you then (hopefully them pm's work) thanks again for the message

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:41 pm

It's not email - PM's remain in the Outbox until read.

Have you worked out your route yet? I live in the CBD and ride out past the airport most Saturdays and Sundays.

If you haven't found it yet I can show you a route that avoids airport drive.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:52 pm

RonK wrote:It's not email - PM's remain in the Outbox until read.

Have you worked out your route yet? I live in the CBD and ride out past the airport most Saturdays and Sundays.

If you haven't found it yet I can show you a route that avoids airport drive.

still working on my fitness to get all the way across town,

Hills are something else so not like darwin, so i'm working on my fitness over the next couple or weeks till i can actually get my average speed up, at the moment I don't even want to comment :(

I was thinking to go the way I drive, but not sure if that's exactly safe, Ronk if you can message me how you go that would be fantastic, I like to keep of the main road as much as possible

cowled

Postby cowled » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:12 pm

Have you tried the Kedron Brook Bikeway? Could be a good route if you're riding from the west side of town to the Airport. Sadly, we don't get any decent alternative riding from the south side to the Airport.
Image 2015 Goal: 2,500km

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:25 pm

KBB is a pretty good idea. i've done that ride a few times so have a strava link or two for you (have a look at the week or two before the brissy to gold coast ride)

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:25 pm

I've been trying to get up for the morning rides but finishing at 2:30am isn't helping, is anyone in the area do dhift work and looking for ride late morning early afternoon?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:32 pm

poohkies wrote:I've been trying to get up for the morning rides but finishing at 2:30am isn't helping, is anyone in the area do dhift work and looking for ride late morning early afternoon?
in the heat of the day? urgh

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:22 am

Yeah I know, but I don't get much other time to go unless weekend, and really want to get my km up during the week :( o to come off this late shift, only 9 weeks to go