B2G 2013

User avatar
cancan64
Posts: 1097
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:13 pm
Location: Auckland

Re: B2G 2013

Postby cancan64 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:06 pm

I have only recently started cycling and that was the first time that i have ridden the B2G...I cycle on my own and normally average 28-29km so went into the orange group and was stuck in the middle at the start but was surprised at how many 30+ riders I passed and how soon in the ride ...in the end I averaged 29.6km which included the ride in from Wynnum so I presume some of the 30km+ riders should have been orange...
All up I enjoyed the ride, the longest distance that I have ridden this century...I tagged along in a group for a little bit which was a bit claustrophobic having never ridden in one...also wished I had trained more...a lesson learnt

User avatar
winstonw
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:18 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: B2G 2013

Postby winstonw » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:55 am

cancan64 wrote:I have only recently started cycling and that was the first time that i have ridden the B2G...I cycle on my own and normally average 28-29km so went into the orange group and was stuck in the middle at the start but was surprised at how many 30+ riders I passed and how soon in the ride ...in the end I averaged 29.6km which included the ride in from Wynnum so I presume some of the 30km+ riders should have been orange...
All up I enjoyed the ride, the longest distance that I have ridden this century...I tagged along in a group for a little bit which was a bit claustrophobic having never ridden in one...also wished I had trained more...a lesson learnt


congrats...30kph is not shabby. I suppose the benefits of these rides is that it encourages people to ride a little more regularly, eat a little better, get the bodyfat down. that's certainly been the case with me. I remember my first b2gc...think it was 6 years ago. It was a real sense of achievement, and motivated me to stop drinking so much booze :)

Smithstreet
Posts: 371
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:15 pm

Re: B2G 2013

Postby Smithstreet » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:36 pm

winstonw wrote:
cancan64 wrote:I have only recently started cycling and that was the first time that i have ridden the B2G...I cycle on my own and normally average 28-29km so went into the orange group and was stuck in the middle at the start but was surprised at how many 30+ riders I passed and how soon in the ride ...in the end I averaged 29.6km which included the ride in from Wynnum so I presume some of the 30km+ riders should have been orange...
All up I enjoyed the ride, the longest distance that I have ridden this century...I tagged along in a group for a little bit which was a bit claustrophobic having never ridden in one...also wished I had trained more...a lesson learnt


It was a real sense of achievement, and motivated me to stop drinking so much booze :)[/quote]

Yes, but has that REALLY worked? :lol:

User avatar
cancan64
Posts: 1097
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:13 pm
Location: Auckland

Re: B2G 2013

Postby cancan64 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:55 pm

winstonw wrote:motivated me to stop drinking so much booze :)


Nobody mentioned that to me...might have to rethink this cycling thing now...although I was good at Oktoberfest on Saturday
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

User avatar
winstonw
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:18 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: B2G 2013

Postby winstonw » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:50 pm

Smithstreet wrote:
winstonw wrote:
cancan64 wrote:I have only recently started cycling and that was the first time that i have ridden the B2G...I cycle on my own and normally average 28-29km so went into the orange group and was stuck in the middle at the start but was surprised at how many 30+ riders I passed and how soon in the ride ...in the end I averaged 29.6km which included the ride in from Wynnum so I presume some of the 30km+ riders should have been orange...
All up I enjoyed the ride, the longest distance that I have ridden this century...I tagged along in a group for a little bit which was a bit claustrophobic having never ridden in one...also wished I had trained more...a lesson learnt


It was a real sense of achievement, and motivated me to stop drinking so much booze :)


Yes, but has that REALLY worked? :lol:


I'd have to say yes.....I am not drinking as much as I was 10 years ago, when I was 20kg heavier and not riding. :)
back then, I socialized nightly with guys that were heavy drinkers. there's fewer of those types in my life now .... apart from you SS :P

trekmate
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:01 am

Re: B2G 2013

Postby trekmate » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:17 pm

I signed up for the 30+ category (red) then queued up only to see the orange category riders roll past on the left and queue up closer to the start line,mmm thats ok i thought only to see both categories leave at the same time. I then spent the next hour or so passing most (not all) of the slower orange category riders. Can anyone please explain why this happened, is this the norm or just an error on organizers part!!! From speaking to others it was the same last year. All in all still a great event or is that just because i was on a ride?

User avatar
Lukeyboy
Posts: 3185
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am

Re: B2G 2013

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:26 pm

Always happens. I think its just because some of the slower riders just want to start to ride earlier or try to jump on to some of the faster riders for a tow down.

User avatar
winstonw
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:18 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: B2G 2013

Postby winstonw » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:55 pm

a lot of the problem is there's 7000 riders, and the officials claim they only want to let 100 through per minute, so they make the gate really narrow. all well and good, but people are ready to rock and roll, and don't want to wait over an hour before they roll through the starting gate.

it would only take one or two officials to hold back the orange people until the reds were through.

I'm disinclined to ride it again. The t-shirt was rubbish. there were 6 porta loos at the start with a queue approaching 100 at one stage. I am so over the orange/red thing. and am over people riding with little consideration for others. it's only a matter of time before there will be a very very serious multi rider pile up. The event pulls in over $500,000, volunteers are heavily utilized....someone is making a lot of money while the organizing is being compromised on several key fronts. Call me a scrooge, but they've had years to tweak this event.

User avatar
Lukeyboy
Posts: 3185
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am

Re: B2G 2013

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:52 am

I like the smaller ones personally. Like the Prince Charles Hospital Cycle of Giving ride to raise awareness for organ donation. Reg starts in December and the ride usually takes place in February. Entry is only 35-40 bucks or so. There's a chartered train that stops once before running epxress to the starts at Caboolture and Landsborough. Better scenery. Last year they had bottles of free powerade at the water stations - should have stock piled some :P and because of the lower numbers its easier to join a faster tempo group or form a group with people chatting.... like a group with older people a tandem bike blearing classic music like Metallica :P The promo stuff wasn't like the bigger events so it was mostly material for organ donation, holiday trips on the Sunlander/TiltTrain and some freebies from other tent stalls there. There was a free (which in my view was also unlimited :P) sausage sizzle for any riders with a wrist band so you do get your bang for your buck.
http://www.strava.com/activities/87460340

There is also the Brisbane to Ipswich ride. I won a free Green Edge kit which was good :)
http://www.strava.com/activities/51075589

User avatar
singlespeedscott
Posts: 4928
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:35 pm
Location: Elimbah, Queensland

Re: B2G 2013

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:50 am

If the B2G start had the different speed categories start on different streets that centre around the bus way entry it would be better. A bit like the start to the Sydney, City to Surf fun run.
Image

richbee
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: B2G 2013

Postby richbee » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:53 am

They should start the ride in batches of 100 to 250 at say 2 minute intervals based on the following criteria:
1) Anticipated/proven average speed ability, and
2) Date/time of entry (early entry gets earlier start time)
3) 60k riders should not start until at least the first few batches have passed their start point.

This business of starting the sponsors riders first must end, they just get in the way.

The Cape Argus Cycle Tour which has in excess of 40,000 entries every year has a seeding system based on riders best 100+km ride average speed over the preceding year (including the last years ride time). There are also unseeded bunches based on date of entry which start after the main seeded groups for those entering for the first time or don't have a qualifying ride. That pretty much ensures that each bunch is composed of riders of similar ability which makes for an enjoyable ride no matter your category. Bunch start times are advised on the entry confirmation and race number.

B2GC at 8000+ entrants this year is getting to the stage where a similar seeding system should be introduced. That can be based on your average speeds/time from other rides around the country, or since many use GPS enabled smartphones or bike computers to record their rides, submit a certified GPX file (or Strava link) proving your ability over a similar distance?

Yes, a bit more admin for the organisers, but will certainly lead to a more enjoyable ride environment, and definitely less crossing of the white line to overtake the slowcoaches who think they're better than they are...

jasonc
Posts: 8688
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: B2G 2013

Postby jasonc » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:25 am

they want 10000 riders next year
makes me want to do the ride less, and I was the first to register this year

richbee
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: B2G 2013

Postby richbee » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:31 am

jasonc wrote:they want 10000 riders next year
makes me want to do the ride less, and I was the first to register this year

All the more reason for them to come up with a better batch starting system

Ignoto
Posts: 316
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:29 pm

Re: B2G 2013

Postby Ignoto » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:40 am

I can only imagine the problem with having to send through records to show your speed will cause some issues. I seriously doubt BQ is going to shift through 1000's of emails to look at the Strava link to confirm your speed.

If they allow only the "red" group to go for the first 30 minutes and actually tell riders to use both bus lanes it'll be an improvement. Funneling people into one lane creates further bottlenecks and is quite dangerous. People will move to the left (like we all do in cars) when you hear sirens for the emergency vehicles.

richbee
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: B2G 2013

Postby richbee » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:58 pm

If they can do it for 40000+ in South Africa, I'm sure BQ can manage it for a mere 10000.

trekmate
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:01 am

Re: B2G 2013

Postby trekmate » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:29 pm

Have been speaking to a mate today who chose to ride the BMW ride instead of the B2G this year, believes better value better organised by far, guess what i will be doing next year?

User avatar
Lukeyboy
Posts: 3185
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am

Re: B2G 2013

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:39 pm

Racing? :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
DTdotcom
Posts: 954
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: B2G 2013

Postby DTdotcom » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:46 pm

trekmate wrote:Have been speaking to a mate today who chose to ride the BMW ride instead of the B2G this year, believes better value better organised by far, guess what i will be doing next year?


I think most people would disagree, surely their numbers were less than half the previous year?

User avatar
cancan64
Posts: 1097
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:13 pm
Location: Auckland

Re: B2G 2013

Postby cancan64 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:59 pm

I rode both and they are different rides... The BMW ride is a group ride so you nominate your speed and you ride as a group. I normally ride on my own so found some part of the group annoying... Like having to brake going up hills and losing momentum and the long break at the half way mark....I did find the 2nd half better but I sat at the front of the group not the middle like the first half.
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users