Workcover QLD changes - hit'n'run

Workcover QLD changes - hit'n'run

Postby CouchPotato » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:09 pm

Courier mail has been reporting possible changes to Workcover QLD to eliminate cover for travel to and from work. It is said that motorist CTP insurance will take up the slack when these changes happen. This will mean that some of us riders will fall into a void of non-insurance which will financially cripple most families

As cyclists, we are susceptable to be the victim of hit'n'run incidents. I am one of these unfortunates, but I am fortunate that Workcover QLD helped me out. CTP does not cover hit'n'run victims as there are a number of CTP insurers, so there is no way of knowing which insurer covered the CTP for the car that hit you (therefore you cannot claim).

Yes, there is income protection insurance but this won't cover Xrays, ultrasounds, MRIs, GP reviews, Surgeon reviews, surgery, anaesthetist review, hospital bed, physio, splints, slings etc for however long it takes to recover from the injury (if you are lucky to not have permanent injury / disability).

If Workcover is changed to remove coverage for travel to and from work then I think it would be a tragedy for all the QLD commuting cycling community.

Any ideas on how we can highlight this to the Govt and Bike QLD?
CouchPotato

by BNA » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:53 pm

BNA

Re: Workcover QLD changes - hit'n'run

Postby briztoon » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:53 pm

Well Bike QLD you can just as easy phone or email them and find out their response. I'm interested to see what it is.
briztoon

Postby queequeg » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:51 pm

Does QLD not give you the option of suing the nominal defendant? My understanding is that in NSW, where the other party can't be identified, you can still claim against them. One of the CTP insurers is then allocated (by the court I presume).
I have seen some discussion on this elsewhere, just can't find it right now.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

Postby find_bruce » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:01 am

Close enough queequeg. There is a "nominal defendant" in each state & while the details vary, the substance is that if you are injured by an unidentified or uninsured vehicle, your compensation will be covered.
find_bruce

Return to Queensland