brisbane's steepest streets

Ryanhyltoncummins

brisbane's steepest streets

Postby Ryanhyltoncummins » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:57 pm

I got inspired after coming across this article about some riders who decided to ride the steepest streets in Brisbane after this council article was posted.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensl ... 1immy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They did the ride last year I never heard about until afterwards.
http://www.strava.com/activities/21589295" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From there I decided to create my own route. And include a bunch of Northside hills and a few streets that didn't make the list. Also had to start near my place.
http://www.mapmyride.com/au/spring-hill ... -309830331" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's no real easy way to plot around some of these but I believe I've done by best.

Attempted to ride it Saturday but pulled out halfway so I wasn't gonna be late to the footy.

Going to finish what I started this Saturday.
Wondering if anybody out there has ridden any of these?
Stoneleigh, Nott and Glamorgan looked pretty ridiculous from car.

Would be great to organise an official route and ride day. Almost like our version of the dirty dozen (why doesn't brisbane have one of those yet)

marinmomma

Re: brisbane's steepest streets

Postby marinmomma » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:59 pm

Ryanhyltoncummins wrote: Would be great to organise an official route and ride day. Almost like our version of the dirty dozen (why doesn't brisbane have one of those yet)

I read about the Adelaide one on a blog this week, I had the same thought too

Putting my thinking cap on re this, Adelaide is a more compact city to do this compared to Brisbane.
Lisa

richbee

Postby richbee » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:39 pm

Haven Road off Upper Brookfield Road is a bit of a challenge.

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:37 pm

marinmomma wrote:
Ryanhyltoncummins wrote: Would be great to organise an official route and ride day. Almost like our version of the dirty dozen (why doesn't brisbane have one of those yet)

I read about the Adelaide one on a blog this week, I had the same thought too

Putting my thinking cap on re this, Adelaide is a more compact city to do this compared to Brisbane.
I notice that the whole ride is done in quite a small area in the Adelaide Hills, but also note that some of the climbs, although not Alps or Pyrenees pedigree, ARE longer and steeper than what I think you will find in Brisbane.
The streets here are steep but very short. It's only if you went out to include climbs like Cootha/Ocean View Rd/Mayfield Rd/Camp Mtn etc, that you could do it justice.
The problem with that is it 'goes away' from the idea of doing city streets and also makes it much more than a 100 or so km ride, although, I don't have a problem with that!!
Now the challenge is to map a course around Brisbane (not necessarily suburban only), that can fit the bill.

To give an idea, this is the Adelaide climb list...
http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/events/ ... irty-dozen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ryanhyltoncummins

Postby Ryanhyltoncummins » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:57 pm

yes that would be ideal
Clear Mountain is a must, it always gets forgotten about.

CaptainSlow

Postby CaptainSlow » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:15 pm

Got inspired and did Stoneleigh St on the way home this arvo.. I can confirm it's steep, real steep. http://app.strava.com/activities/90973020

Camp Mountain off the Mt Nebo road (Nullamanna rd climb on Strava) is another one for the list, heaps of fun..

Abby

Postby Abby » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:38 pm

I used to live on Hampson St, Red Hill (#15 on the list).

Moved later to Winship St, Red Hill I reckon that was steeper. Its a downhill cul-de-sac. Whenever a delivery van/truck went down, we'd set up our deckchairs and an esky full of beer out the front, and spend the rest of the day cheering on the efforts of the truck to get back out again... :)
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

Davidrnau

Postby Davidrnau » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:12 pm

HI

Ivory Lane near All Hallows is a short but very steep climb (well for me at least), was out that way today on the bike and stopped at the base of it watching cyclists going up it.

David

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:22 pm

There are a heap of streets as steep or steeper on the outskirts of Brisbane that weren't considered.

RobM

Postby RobM » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:42 pm

I just moved to Tarragindi and have done a lil exploring.

Have a go at Prior Street (from Fernvale Rd side). Good city views at the top.

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:19 am

I'm going to have a crack at Prospect St at Wynnum next time i do a loop down there, 26% incline IIRC. Wish me luck.

Ryanhyltoncummins

Postby Ryanhyltoncummins » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:28 am

To be honest ivy lane is quite easy compared to some of these others, will check out that one at tarragindi tomorrow when I got for round 2 of my map

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:11 am

Streets? You whimps! http://www.strava.com/routes/57847" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :P

I'd be keen to hit up a bunch of these streets. There might have to be a date plan and chuck it into the BNA weekend warrior thread :P

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:37 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Streets? You whimps! http://www.strava.com/routes/57847" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :P

I'd be keen to hit up a bunch of these streets. There might have to be a date plan and chuck it into the BNA weekend warrior thread :P
I'd be keen to have a go at that LB. Just have to agree on a weekend day that suits.

Am in the process of working out a 'dirty dozen' that includes some of the gnarlier roads out around that way, rather than steep but extremely short 'city' streets.

Stay tuned

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:51 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Streets? You whimps! http://www.strava.com/routes/57847" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :P

Hey Luke,

Just having another look at that route, and my first available weekend is Nov 30. I know it's a way off but it's a start.
24,000ft elev (7300+mts) is a bit hard to believe though, even considering the terrain. Although, it will be fun finding out for ourselves!!

I think a Saturday is better for an attempt.
More chance of coming out of the 'coma' before Monday work!! :shock:

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:11 pm

Keen, that will be a new longest ride & elevation for me (at least on Strava)
I think we'll be looking at 12hrs in the saddle? How did you calculate the 9:46:32 Est. Moving Time

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:31 pm

Here's a 'possible' example of a dirty dozen, (or so) streets west of Brisbane starting at Ferny Grove.

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... rse=623952" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Obviously one of the problems is that the distance gets bumped up because of the travel between each ascent. 'Recovery time' you could call it!

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:37 pm

If some here are up for it then count me in :P Having done Mt Nebo-Mt-Glorious-Mt Mee-Clear Mountain before I reckon with the added bonus of climbing Mt Coottha, Camp Mountain lookout, the backside of Glorious, Campbells Pocket and back up Mt Mee I reckon my legs would start to give up the ghost climbing back up Mt Mee. The bottom of Mt Glorious over to Whivenhoe-Summerset Road and back is around 3400m on its own so I expect to see it more than 7500m at the end of the day once all the other climbs are factored in :P

I'm not sure how it got the time. I assume it must have used the same estimation time that google maps uses for cycling.

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:01 pm

Okay, I'll suggest Sat Nov 30th as a day to have a crack at Lukeyboy's Mountain Challenge Ride.
If that doesn't suit, or you guys can't make that day, let us know. We can possibly work something else out... maybe.

I guess it gives anyone that's keen, 5 weeks to 'prepare'.
We can check back closer to the time and see who is in.

Looking forward to it, LOVE a challenge. :)

albertgaleano

Postby albertgaleano » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:04 pm

I could be up for some climbing shenanigans on the 30th :D

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:14 pm

albertgaleano wrote:I could be up for some climbing shenanigans on the 30th :D
Great.
Look forward to catching up with some of you guys.

SS

elantra

Postby elantra » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:17 pm

Smithstreet wrote:Here's a 'possible' example of a dirty dozen, (or so) streets west of Brisbane starting at Ferny Grove.

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... rse=623952" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Obviously one of the problems is that the distance gets bumped up because of the travel between each ascent. 'Recovery time' you could call it!
That is really "over the top", excuse the pun.

On a more serious note, this climb (pictured at its base, below) would have to be the longest and the steepest single uninterrupted climb in SE Qld.
Carney's Ck to The Head, approx 8km. Currently i believe closed to motor vehicles due to landslides several months ago.

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:31 pm

Really? Strava only has it rated as a Cat 2 climb?

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:53 pm

Hmmmmmmmm :lol: :lol:

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:56 pm

Pretty sure we did Carneys Creek Rd on our Rathdowney to Tenterfield return ride last year.
Didn't seem that bad to me.