Brisbane airport

Re: Brisbane airport

Postby brett.hooker » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:05 pm

Cool... Will just do a meandering ride for myself... I've done luggage point and back a bunch of times, will just turn off at lomandra and follow my nose... :-)
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...
User avatar
brett.hooker
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:52 pm

by BNA » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:29 pm

BNA
 

Re: Brisbane airport

Postby RonK » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:29 pm

brett.hooker wrote:Cool... Will just do a meandering ride for myself... I've done luggage point and back a bunch of times, will just turn off at lomandra and follow my nose... :-)


Luggage Point - yes been out there a few times myself - lovely spot :wink:

Here's the route. Click on the Google icon for the full-sized map.

The roundabouts at the International and domestic terminals can be a little busy. You will see a couple of old signs (one on Lomandra, the other on Airport Drive) left over from the road construction period, which is of course long finished. Also on Airport Drive at Skygate and Southern Cross Way there are a couple of signs directing bikes to cross perpendicular to the onramps rather than ride across the merge. All can be ignored.

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5219
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: Brisbane airport

Postby Crawf » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:38 am

A few have been out that way of late, looks to be a dogs breakfast, but ok once you know it.
Crawf
 
Posts: 1646
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: Brisbane airport

Postby Dimma » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:44 pm

I would have thought the Virgin Hanger option would have been more popular, no lights, no roundabouts, no bikepaths, no cars?
Image
Dimma
 
Posts: 637
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:35 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Brisbane airport

Postby poohkies » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:04 pm

I'm riding there every week from Kenmore, where you riding from and how where do you need to get to, I ride to the GA section which is pretty much as far as you can go, I find my route very safe :) I have no idea how to post pics of my routs from strava
Image
User avatar
poohkies
 
Posts: 403
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:00 am
Location: Brisbane Kenmore

Re: Brisbane airport

Postby jasonc » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:51 am

poohkies - take a screen save, save it as a jpg and use this site (resize to a max of 600-700 pixels wide)
http://img.acianetmedia.com/
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5598
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Brisbane airport

Postby poohkies » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:57 pm

Image

Image

Image

Image

few of my routes also do one from toombul
Image
User avatar
poohkies
 
Posts: 403
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:00 am
Location: Brisbane Kenmore

Re: Brisbane airport

Postby sumgy » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:52 pm

Went for a ride along this today as far as Skygate.
From the maps it also goes further toward the airport.

Where else does it go that is useful?
User avatar
sumgy
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:58 pm

Re: Brisbane airport

Postby poohkies » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:31 pm

As per my maps, that's another 5 km to the ga section of the airport! Where I finish is as far as you can go
Image
User avatar
poohkies
 
Posts: 403
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:00 am
Location: Brisbane Kenmore

Re: Brisbane airport

Postby Dimma » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:57 am

sumgy wrote:Went for a ride along this today as far as Skygate.
From the maps it also goes further toward the airport.

Where else does it go that is useful?


Nowhere, I don't get why people would want to ride to the airport unless they had to?
Why not go to the Virgin Hanger like most people?
Image
Dimma
 
Posts: 637
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:35 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Brisbane airport

Postby spirro » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:12 am

Dimma wrote:Nowhere, I don't get why people would want to ride to the airport unless they had to?
Why not go to the Virgin Hanger like most people?


What's wrong with someone wanting to go see some planes?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

Image
spirro
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 6:38 am

Re: Brisbane airport

Postby Dimma » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:14 am

Nothing, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on something.
Image
Dimma
 
Posts: 637
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:35 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Brisbane airport

Postby sumgy » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:19 am

poohkies wrote:As per my maps, that's another 5 km to the ga section of the airport! Where I finish is as far as you can go


OK thanks.
Just doing some research.

I agree with Dimma, this seems a bit pointless.
Almost like a token (albeit super expensive) gesture.

Spirro, there is nothing wrong with that but with all of the calls for useful commuting infrastructure on the Northside this seems silly to say the least.
User avatar
sumgy
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:58 pm

Brisbane airport

Postby RonK » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:37 am

Plenty of riders at the airport this morning - bunches large and small, and individuals. Kinda puts the kibosh on the assertion that "most" riders only go to the Virgin hangar.

On a sunny and humid morning it was quite pleasant to ride the length of Qantas Drive shaded by the Airtrain viaduct.

With a SSW breeze, one niner was the runway in use, so the threshold was right next to the observation area, and there were plenty of stepladders in attendance.

If anybody wants to be shown the way, I'll be riding out there next Sunday as usual, leaving the CBD at 6am. I'll be riding my Sunday (Sabbath) bike, so the pace will be quite gentle.

Note: I ride on the road, I don't ride on bike paths...
Last edited by RonK on Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5219
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: Brisbane airport

Postby spirro » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:42 am

sumgy wrote:
poohkies wrote:As per my maps, that's another 5 km to the ga section of the airport! Where I finish is as far as you can go


Spirro, there is nothing wrong with that but with all of the calls for useful commuting infrastructure on the Northside this seems silly to say the least.


I agree I wouldn't suggest infrastructure be built just to go see some planes. My initial query about getting out to the airport was more to find out what existed for cyclists already. I'm in no way saying they should throw money at infrastructure for cyclists to the airport when there are more important areas to focus on.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

Image
spirro
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 6:38 am

Brisbane airport

Postby RonK » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:47 am

spirro wrote:
sumgy wrote:
poohkies wrote:As per my maps, that's another 5 km to the ga section of the airport! Where I finish is as far as you can go


Spirro, there is nothing wrong with that but with all of the calls for useful commuting infrastructure on the Northside this seems silly to say the least.


I agree I wouldn't suggest infrastructure be built just to go see some planes. My initial query about getting out to the airport was more to find out what existed for cyclists already. I'm in no way saying they should throw money at infrastructure for cyclists to the airport when there are more important areas to focus on.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The paths to Skygate are part of the Moreton Bay Bikeway, and will link to the Gateway Bridge (if they don't already). Unnecessary? Unimportant? I don't think so.
Last edited by RonK on Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5219
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: Brisbane airport

Postby Dimma » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:49 am

RonK wrote:Plenty of riders at the airport this morning - bunches large and small, and individuals. Kinda puts the kibosh on the assertion that "most" riders only go to the Virgin hangar.

On a sunny and humid morning it was quite pleasant to ride the length of Qantas Drive shaded by the Airtrain viaduct.

With a SSW breeze, one niner was the runway in use, so the threshold was right next to the observation area, and there were plenty of stepladders in attendance.

If anybody wants to be shown the way, I'll be riding out there next Sunday as usual, leaving the CBD at 6am. I'll be riding my Sunday (Sabbath) bike, so the pace will be quite gentle.

Note: I ride on the road, I don't ride on bike paths...


What groups/bunches frequent this route?
Image
Dimma
 
Posts: 637
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:35 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Brisbane airport

Postby sumgy » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:50 am

Also interested what is on the other side of the road if I walk my bike across here?

Image
User avatar
sumgy
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:58 pm

Brisbane airport

Postby RonK » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:51 am

Dimma wrote:
RonK wrote:Plenty of riders at the airport this morning - bunches large and small, and individuals. Kinda puts the kibosh on the assertion that "most" riders only go to the Virgin hangar.

On a sunny and humid morning it was quite pleasant to ride the length of Qantas Drive shaded by the Airtrain viaduct.

With a SSW breeze, one niner was the runway in use, so the threshold was right next to the observation area, and there were plenty of stepladders in attendance.

If anybody wants to be shown the way, I'll be riding out there next Sunday as usual, leaving the CBD at 6am. I'll be riding my Sunday (Sabbath) bike, so the pace will be quite gentle.

Note: I ride on the road, I don't ride on bike paths...


What groups/bunches frequent this route?

Used to be the Southbank bunch - I don't know what they call themselves or where they originate from now. Would you like me to stop them and ask?
Last edited by RonK on Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5219
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: Brisbane airport

Postby sumgy » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:52 am

RonK wrote:The paths to Skygate are part of the Moreton Bay Bikeway, and will link to the Gateway Bridge (if they don't already). Unnecessary? Unimportant? I don't think so.


Do they?
I asked before and was told that they just go to the airport.
IF they go to the Gateway they may be useful.
User avatar
sumgy
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:58 pm

Re: Brisbane airport

Postby RonK » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:57 am

sumgy wrote:Also interested what is on the other side of the road if I walk my bike across here?

If you are referring to the path on the other side of Nudgee Road, that is the path to Skygate. You don't need to walk across the road, you can reach the same path by turn right coming off the new bridge then passing under Nudgee Road.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5219
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: Brisbane airport

Postby Dimma » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:58 am

RonK wrote:
Dimma wrote:
RonK wrote:Plenty of riders at the airport this morning - bunches large and small, and individuals. Kinda puts the kibosh on the assertion that "most" riders only go to the Virgin hangar.

On a sunny and humid morning it was quite pleasant to ride the length of Qantas Drive shaded by the Airtrain viaduct.

With a SSW breeze, one niner was the runway in use, so the threshold was right next to the observation area, and there were plenty of stepladders in attendance.

If anybody wants to be shown the way, I'll be riding out there next Sunday as usual, leaving the CBD at 6am. I'll be riding my Sunday (Sabbath) bike, so the pace will be quite gentle.

Note: I ride on the road, I don't ride on bike paths...


What groups/bunches frequent this route?

Used to be the Southbank bunch - I don't know what they called themselves or where they originate from now. Would you like me to stop them and ask?


No drama, I thought it might be public knowledge but if you don't already know that's Ok
Image
Dimma
 
Posts: 637
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:35 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Brisbane airport

Postby sumgy » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:04 am

RonK wrote:If you are referring to the path on the other side of Nudgee Road, that is the path to Skygate. You don't need to walk across the road, you can reach the same path by turn right coming off the new bridge then passing under Nudgee Road.


OK. Was just wondering. I turned around and went back on the path that follows the Skytrain.
Not sure who is running the Briscycle site but what a shamozzle.
Looking at that cycleway as an option to the CBD would just about double the distance of my trip to the CBD.
Nice very expensive gesture but not a solution for many people I would think.
User avatar
sumgy
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:58 pm

Brisbane airport

Postby RonK » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:08 am

Dimma wrote:No drama, I thought it might be public knowledge but if you don't already know that's Ok

I used to ride with the Southbank bunch regularly once, on this route and others, but don't often join with bunch rides anymore, so I'm no longer au fait with them.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5219
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: Brisbane airport

Postby RonK » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:43 am

sumgy wrote:
RonK wrote:If you are referring to the path on the other side of Nudgee Road, that is the path to Skygate. You don't need to walk across the road, you can reach the same path by turn right coming off the new bridge then passing under Nudgee Road.


OK. Was just wondering. I turned around and went back on the path that follows the Skytrain.
Not sure who is running the Briscycle site but what a shamozzle.
Looking at that cycleway as an option to the CBD would just about double the distance of my trip to the CBD.
Nice very expensive gesture but not a solution for many people I would think.


I don't think that this was ever intended as an alternate route to the CBD. And I'm sure that the many cyclists who work in the airport precinct don't see it as merely an expensive gesture. As I recall there was quite an outcry when the BAC wanted to ban all bicycles from the airport and they were forced to reverse the decision.

Information about the Moreton Bay Cycle access plan is here. I don't know what the current status is, but I think I remember somebody mentioned that Schneider Road is now linked to Skygate.

I don't ride on bike paths, so you'll have to explore it for yourself.
Last edited by RonK on Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5219
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Queensland

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU



InTouch with BNA
“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter