New Years Eve Night/New Years Day Ride

Lukeyboy

New Years Eve Night/New Years Day Ride

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:58 pm

Its a bit stupid and a bit late but I just found out that trains will be running all night long for New Years day in both directions so I'm just wondering if there would be any interest for a new years eve/new years day ride. For most lines on the 31st trains are running every half hour until midnight/2am and then hourly New Years special services until 9am before the normal timetables kicks in for each line (along with extra New Years Eve special services just before and after midnight). I'm thinking of taking advantage of this and either going for an epic afternoon/night ride and catch the train back to Brisbane early in the morning or catch an early morning train to an extreme part of the network and then venturing on a ride to far out regions and then return. An example would be getting an Ipswich train arriving at Ipswich at like 2-3am and then ride out to Gatton, up to Esk, over to Somerset Dam and then back to Brisbane. Meet up at Ipswich and then go on a night ride to Aratula, Boonah, Beaudesert, Tamborine, Tallebudgera and then train back to Brisbane. Catch a train to the Gold Coast and ride deep into NSW and return. Catch a train to Landsborough, up to Kenilworth, back to Maleny, down to Kilcoy, Somerset Dam, Fernvale, Ipswich, Darra and bikeway back to Brissie. You should get the idea.

A great way to maximize the use of the early sunrise, cooler night and morning temperatures, lighter traffic on the roads and a train at a station to finish at 3am. Anyone keen for something?

Ryanhyltoncummins

Re: New Years Eve Night/New Years Day Ride

Postby Ryanhyltoncummins » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:59 pm

I like the idea of this Luke, I was planning on doing some sort of very early ride New Years Day but hadn't thought of much past Cootha & the Brookfield Fingers.
If its around 150km and not too difficult, I would be interested.

elantra

Postby elantra » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:43 am

Lukeyboy - Would be nice to have so much energy and enthusiasm as yourself.

But alas many of us have other commitments that night.
Bear in mind also that there are a lot of hot heads and loose nuts on the roads that night.
etc etc etc.
But if you must then your options would include Nerang to Beechmont to catch the sunrise, then return.
Or Petrie to OceanView (Mt Mee) to do the same.
There is a nice park looking east at upper Beechmont (popular with the gliding crowd) and i think there is something similar at OceanView/Mt Mee.

Dizz

Postby Dizz » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:54 am

Lukeyboy wrote:... going for an epic afternoon/night ride...
How epic ? If your thinking 300k with 4k of elevation , I'm definitely in!

We could start down the Gold Coast head to Springbrook - Beechmont - Binna Burra - O'Reillys - North Tamborine - Back to Brisbane via the V1.

I have serious lighting that can burn all night long and it would be a great way to see in the new year. :D

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:55 am

^^^ :shock: ^^^

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:21 am

I don't finish work till 12:30 new years eve, and start at 4am on new years day :(

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:32 pm

Good lord that's too extreme for me haha. I was thinking something in the 150km bracket.

Dizz

Postby Dizz » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:04 pm

:( :( :( :(

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:08 pm

3x ~300km rides within 5 days might just be a bit too much for me :P

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:40 pm

I don't think I'll be doing the night ride. My legs are shot to bits having done 650km in about a 3-4 day period :P

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:53 am

Lukeyboy wrote:I don't think I'll be doing the night ride. My legs are shot to bits having done 650km in about a 3-4 day period :P
Wow, you are human :wink:
Lisa

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:16 am

I'm now recharged so lets kick off 2014 with a bang! :P